Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does beer 'go off'

• 23-07-2013 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

I have some lager in the beer fridge and i just copped its dated 31st of may 2013.
    Im dying of a thirst here, enjoying my last bottle of Staroslav and may turn to this dated beer. What would you guys do. Is it safe to drink??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Beer generally has a 'Best Before' lasting up to a year or more. So going over by six weeks shouldn't make a huge difference. If it was something that doesn't keep a long time, like meat, six weeks would be far too long.

Open it, taste it, that should give you an idea.

By the way, is it a 'Best Before' or Consume Before date? Best before only means that the product is past its best tastewise but otherwise fine, Consume Before is obviously the late date said product can be consumed. Lot of food gets thrown out worldwide because of this misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

It does not say weather its best before or consume by. Il chance it.
    If i die, at least its doing what i love:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Beer is usually a best before and 6 weeks will do nothing to harm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

So are you still in the land of the living, EireIceMan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I worked as a Binman in the early ninties and ould ladies would give us the beer that had gone out of date rather than throw it out, we regularly drank beer that was between 3 and five years out of date no problems. If it's not in direct sunlight and the air doesn't get at it, it's probably fine.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is a best before, it may not taste as good the longer you leave it, but it will be grand to drink. I used to work in a bar that would often sell beer that had been months out of date on draught and nobody ever noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Lucena wrote: »
    So are you still in the land of the living, EireIceMan?

Yes infact stayed up till two and drank eight cans. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Fat Nav

Hi All.
    My 24 year old younger brother drank 15 beers I had left in back of shed.
    They were out of date by 6 years and next day was up for what was left.
    He reckoned it was nicest beer he ever had.
    The beer was in bottles so maybe it kept it fresh?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aliceayres

Fat Nav wrote: »
    Hi All.
    My 24 year old younger brother drank 15 beers I had left in back of shed.
    They were out of date by 6 years and next day was up for what was left.
    He reckoned it was nicest beer he ever had.
    The beer was in bottles so maybe it kept it fresh?:confused:
    Still drunk perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

My cousin played for the Liverpool Irish Center Gaelic football team. Back in the early 80s they were on the old B&I ferry back to Blighty after a tournament in Co Meath. Shortly after embarking they realised the case of beer they bought at the bar was out of date.

Did they return it...heck no....they went up and bought 3 more cases.....drank all the beer.....THEN went back and angrily demanded a refund meanwhile threatening all types of lawsuits should any harm come to them from what hey drank-LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement