Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good dinner around Ennis

• 23-07-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Howdy looking to take the ol man out for a family birthday meal during the week.

Looking for some recommendations, was thinking of The Abbey Tavern in Quin, is that place alright or somewhere like that. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I love JP Clarke's in Bunratty and if you wanted to get out of town that'd be where I'd go. It's not around Ennis though really. Have a search through the forum and see the previous threads (I'm on my phone now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cheers ya tried googling and searching but just getting the usual Town Hall etc. Anyone try Quincys?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I haven't heard of it.

If I was going out for lunch during the week I would probably go to The Old Ground, The Dining Room or Temple Gate in Ennis. Outside of town I would either go to Vaughan's in Liscannor or JP Clarke's, maybe The Bunratty Manor or Castle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Warper wrote: »
    Cheers ya tried googling and searching but just getting the usual Town Hall etc. Anyone try Quincys?

Quincy's is OK , nothing special , but not bad by any means...

I'd put it on a par food-wise with the Abbey Tavern but a bit more expensive...

Another place to try is the Golf Club in Dromoland - Very nice food in nice surroundings and not particularly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Gallaghers Bunratty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seasons 52 (end of Parnel street)is nice and they cater for parties and are good with families

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clareman wrote: »
    I haven't heard of it.

If I was going out for lunch during the week I would probably go to The Old Ground, The Dining Room or Temple Gate in Ennis. Outside of town I would either go to Vaughan's in Liscannor or JP Clarke's, maybe The Bunratty Manor or Castle.

+1 for The Old Ground.

I've been to Vaughan's in Liscannor recently, its really disimproved and they changed the food menu and nearly all of the food there is fish. I think they're really making a huge mistake changing the menu. They used to do great pub grub (loved the chips and cheese burger!) But Its not cheap either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Another place to try is the Golf Club in Dromoland - Very nice food in nice surroundings and not particularly expensive.

+1, lovely place, I was pleasantly surprised here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Really agree about Dromoland Golf Club. Great food and excellent service. Prices not too bad either. J P Clarkes is very good as well. I have had lunch there a few times and it was always first class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

I have heard the Cloisters restaurant at the end of Abbey Street is very good, but quite expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

+ 1 Fig Tree Restaurant, Dromoland Golf & Country Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Don't we have like three identical threads with this very topic now?

http://www.yelp.ie/search?find_desc=restaurants&find_loc=ennis+ireland&ns=1&ls=905a237375cd1637

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

CptSternn wrote: »

http://www.yelp.ie/search?find_desc=restaurants&find_loc=ennis+ireland&ns=1&ls=905a237375cd1637

It's a nice safe subject, sure, and lets those with the disposable shekels show off a little bit!

Balagan wrote: »
    It's a nice safe subject, sure, and lets those with the disposable shekels show off a little bit!

Hah!

True. One of the very few threads that won't be locked by mods after a few posts.

I just find it a bit amusing that in a town that only has like a dozen restaurants we have a new thread every few weeks listing those very same restaurants. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭8mv

I reccommend Quincy's, The Old Ground or, one that hasn't been mentioned yet, The Rowan Tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'll second the Cloisters recommendation.

Hah!

True. One of the very few threads that won't be locked by mods after a few posts.

I take offence to this post and I take it as trolling.

There is currently 1 locked thread in the first 3 pages of the Clare forum and that thread was left open as long as possible but as people were discussing an ongoing legal case it had to be closed, not because the mods wanted to close it but because of Irish law.

We do not lock threads because we want to, we do it cause we have to, there has been opportunities for Feedback on here, in the Feedback Forum, via PM use those tools to give your feedback, not trolling other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

]

A sticky for Clare restaurants & takeaways would be good, like the limerick one.

A sticky for Clare restaurants & takeaways would be good, like the limerick one.

Too many stickies on a page make forums very difficult to navigate on mobile devices so it's best to keep the number of them down, most forums will usually only have the charter and well established/popular threads as stickies.

I think a sticky is a great idea. It seems to be a popular topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82497637

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71298485

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74218830

I'm sure the local businesses would like the idea of being listed with a link to their websites as well.

Are there a lot of people browsing this forum via mobile? Maybe it's just me, but on my Android(s) the site looks grand and the stickies don't seem to make a real difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm alright with people making new topics every now and then. Food changes enough that you can have the discussion every 6 months and have different opinions. A sticky with two year old posts isn't all that useful.

What Shapey Fiend said :)

As I mentioned on the other thead, we try to keep sticky threads to a minimum as too many of them can make it difficult to navigate the site on a mobile device.

Advertisement