Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the Grant cover

• 23-07-2013 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Okay I just want to know what exactly the grant cover. I was looking at fees and accommodation today and I am freaking out.

My course is 5564 and accommodation at its cheapest is 3100. A few extra bits on top of that brings it to a total of 9243. The highest rate for the grant is 5915 which still leave me with a balance of 3328. AHHH

Basically I just want to know, what all does the grant cover. I have tried looking it up and it is all very misleading. I know the contribution fee is covered but is the course costs covered too so that all I have to pay for is my living arrangements.

Thanks for looking and for the help hopefully!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

You don't pay any tuition fees at all unless you are from outside state or you didn't receive education in Ireland for the last 5 years. Depending on the grant, it will cover your student contribution/registration fees and you can get an allowance from them if you meet certain requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

what course are you doing? your registration fee shouldn't be that much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Teaching. Its the same in all 5 colleges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Really? Oh that is good to hear! So all I have to pay pretty much is accomodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

you're entitled to "free" education up to five years of an undergrad...however you have to pay a registration fee which is somewhere around 2500 euro..it may have gone up again. If you are entitled to the grant you will get this paid for and depending on your situ around 3000 euro if not more in maintenance if you live more than 45 km from your college. as you're paying rent I guess your parents live far from your college? you'll be applying to the central finance applications place, susi.

thankfully susi dont need you to send in any documentation straight away as the closing date is 7 days away but you may need to get your parents' balancing statement p21, p60, bank statements, any ownership of land, proof of reckonable income so any investments dividends etc etc. in the future. you may also need to have your birth cert sent in...if you don't have your birth cert you'll need to order it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Really? Oh that is good to hear! So all I have to pay pretty much is accomodation?

You're looking at the total course fee which applies to students coming in from outside Ireland, and also if anyone dropped out of a different course and started a new one, as we get "free fees" every year (provided you only do each year once, ie, don't drop out). Everyone still has to pay €2500 registration fee. Depending on the level of the grant you get, they'll cover a certain percentage or all of this.

Everyone also has to pay a levy (varies between colleges, anything up to €250 or so) which I don't think is covered by the grant.

The amount of money you qualify for is what will be given to you in stages during the year. The reg fee is sorted aside from this, not taken out of your grant money.

Advertisement