Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog health testing

• 23-07-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all

Does anyone know where a dog can have dna health testing done ? Is it available here in ireland .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Hi where are you living?? We usually go to Denis beary near Straffan. A good few places might do it but hes good at going through greyhounds for injuries so we get him to do blood tests while we are there he has a machine that prints off the results. Its "Canine Sports Medicine Clinic Straffan" <snip>
    This might help if hes in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rubytues

Hi thanks for your reply no not my area :( im in donegal.. looking for dna to be done to find out about inherited diseases etc cant seem to find anything online except few sites where u send off dna and not sure bout those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What breed is your dog and what do want the dog to be tested for?

Have you asked your own vet about these tests?

A saluki so main problems i suppose are heart problems and cancer. I havnt asked them yet about tests .. i have it in my head that its not a test that was available in ireland at least a few yrs back and not something that every vet would do but im sure they can prob point me in right direction anyways :) Thanks

According to the kennel club UK website there are no screening schemes or DNA tests applicable to Salukis.

Were you planning to breed from your dog?

• Advertisement

So more than likely if not available in uk not available here!!
    I wld like to eventualy use him as a stud he has an excellent pedigree and there are no known health issues on either his dam side or on his sires side was told no need to have him tested but the more i thought about it if i use him as a stud either just for myself or anyone else would be good to have something on paper to prove it or its just my word and as much as i know im trustworthy others arent to know lol

There isn't even a breed club here never mind information on genetic testing!

And is there genetic testing available for other breeds in ireland??

The breed clubs would have all the information on genetic testing. For example I own a Sheltie, Shelties should be screened for collie eye. There is one vet in the Republic of Ireland that can do this test and one in Northern Ireland.

The Irish Kennel club is a bit rubbish tbh and doesn't have anything on their site other than a list of breed clubs. The Uk kennel club has all sorts of info on there. My dog came from NI and I was able to look up test results for his parents online before I bought him. The UK site has all the info on there as regards what tests should be done and which additional tests are available.

Example http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breed/health.aspx?id=5140

For Salukis it just says
    There are not currently any veterinary screening schemes or DNA tests for disease relevant to this breed under the Assured Breeder Scheme, however you should still ask breeders and refer to breed clubs about health issues in the breed.

You might get some feedback from Breed clubs in the UK if you try contacting them.

Thanks for that yes that is probably the best idea to do contact the breed clubs in england and see what they say.

I think because the saluki is not as popular as most dogs that they dnt seem to have as much problems as other breeds or so it seems as there are fewer of them maybe . Such a good idea to have a database where results can be checked . Is there a certain age dogs have to be tested e.g if you have a litter of pups i wonder can they all be geneticly tested before they are homed therefore have results of the whole family or are they tested when they are older??

• Advertisement

It depends what the test is for, some breeds have eye screening done as puppies, but for the most part it is the adult dogs that are tested.

So if some of the dogs in a litter were not tested can tests be conclusive i.e it will put your own mind at rest if you have a dog tested and its clear but for breeding purposes can you safely say theres no health issues if all in family were not tested.. sorry for questions !!

With genetic (DNA) testing, you are testing for faulty genes that are passed on, a dog cannot pass on a gene it doesn't have. Health screening is slightly different eg. hip scoring where you are basicly just assessing the position of the hip joints. A dog with good scores is more likely to produce pups that won't develop hip problems but not for certain as the genetic element is only part of it.

Thanks adrenalinejunkie that makes sense ;) Now must contact saluki breed clubs and quiz them lol but mite leave that till morning. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

rubytues wrote: »
    I think because the saluki is not as popular as most dogs that they dnt seem to have as much problems as other breeds or so it seems as there are fewer of them maybe .

OP it's not that Salukis aren't "popular" in Ireland (true Salukis are rare in fairness), it's because the majority of people in this country cannot tell the difference between a longhaired lurcher (greyhound mongrel mix) or a genuine Saluki. We DO NOT have an appreciation for these type of "breeds", whatever title you want to put on them, simple as.

Salukis can be classed under the generic term of "Sighthounds" which encompass the following breed types:

I would be hard pressed sometimes to tell the difference between all of these individual breeds and/or their mixes, let alone a "lay person" who has even less of a clue.

If you genuinely have a legitimate perfect example of this breed, you SHOULD know the right people to deal with and SHOULD NOT be coming on Boards to ask for advice.

There are no "if, ands or buts" in this scenario & I am not even going to entertain anything else to be honest.

I URGE you NOT to breed from your dog if you don't have a legitimate pedigree history or any knowledge of this breed or it's mating/breeding requirements. Even more so if you have no knowledge of breeding dogs at all.

Your dog may be beautiful, but this the worst reason to breed her. If you cannot find info on this breed in Ireland, there is a reason for it.We do not have the mentality in this country right now to appreciate these "sighthound breeds".

As dismissive and unhelpful as this may seem,asking questions about breeding this beautiful dog is not being responsible, whatever way you may look at it OP.

Be happy with your lovely "Saluki", enjoy her and do no more than that.

My post is simply asking is there genetic health testing available in ireland . My saluki is not a her but a him!!! I do have people i can get info from but as i was searching online last night boards.ie popped up and thought it would do no harm to ask a simple question..

He is a genuine fully registered saluki from european bloodlines I maybe relatively new to the breed but im very willing to learn and posting a question to a wider audience that makes me a 'layperson' with no clue??

My post is simply asking is there genetic health testing available in ireland .

You did and that's fair enough.
    wrote:
    My saluki is not a her but a him!!!

Noted and again, fair enough. ;)
    wrote:
    I do have people i can get info from but as i was searching online last night boards.ie popped up and thought it would do no harm to ask a simple question..

No harm indeed. I went off on a complete tangent and I apologise as I now see you are doing genuine research. But, my points above still apply all the same.
    wrote:
    He is a genuine fully registered saluki from european bloodlines I maybe relatively new to the breed but im very willing to learn and posting a question to a wider audience that makes me a 'layperson' with no clue??

That's great to know, but it took 4 posts for you to articulate why you wanted the "health testing" done. You did come across as a "lay person" and still are, and whilst that's ok, I apologise for jumping to conclusions but still don't retract anything I've posted above.

It is great you are doing your research, so hopefully you will get more "constructive" replies than mine.

I should practice what I preach and all that :o

No probs thanks for your apology yes im probably not the best at wording things and have never dealt with genetic health testing before so im a complete newbie on that front and most certainly do not know as much about salukis as id like but i am reading and researching all the time im also in total contact with my dogs breeder and many other saluki people and pick their brains quite often lol

We have also started showing which is another 1st and hes doing v well , everybody has to start somewhere its a breed iv admired for many years and have dreamt of owning what i call a 'proper' saluki . I would never do anything to harm my dog or the breed :)

We have also started showing which is another 1st and hes doing v well , everybody has to start somewhere its a breed iv admired for many years and have dreamt of owning what i call a 'proper' saluki . I would never do anything to harm my dog or the breed

Well I for one look forward to hearing more constructive and helpful replies than you got from me. We would love to see pics of him if you know how to do that :pac:

Heres the main man :)

• Advertisement

And some more i could go on lol.. hes 6mths at the mo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

OP have you thought about popping along to a dog show with him?
    If nothing else you can make some valuable contacts that would be more qualified to answer alot of questions for you.

Hi yes i do show him and have met lots of well informed saluki people it was just because i was thinking bout it cpl nites ago and was searching online and cldnt really see anything about it that i posted a question on here my next show is not for cpl of weeks its just a general question really as hes only 6mths right now im not in any hurry for tests etc just something to think about for future..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hi yes i do show him and have met lots of well informed saluki people it was just because i was thinking bout it cpl nites ago and was searching online and cldnt really see anything about it that i posted a question on here my next show is not for cpl of weeks its just a general question really as hes only 6mths right now im not in any hurry for tests etc just something to think about for future..:)

I know UCD do alot of health testing although they are usually sent out of the country to be analysed, maybe drop them a mail or ring them they might be able to give you some advice.
    Well done for going to such lengths before considering breeding, more people should take a leaf out of your book!

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I know UCD do alot of health testing although they are usually sent out of the country to be analysed, maybe drop them a mail or ring them they might be able to give you some advice.
    Well done for going to such lengths before considering breeding, more people should take a leaf out of your book!
    Thanks for that definately will get in touch with them :) i think its the correct thing to do as someone commented about him that him and his siblings are of unusual high standard (of course i agree..lol) it wld be nice to carry this standard on.. thanks for ur reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I might be missing something obvious here, but you said the dog in question has excellent pedigree, on both sides, and is in great physical health to boot. If I were to assume you have the dog registered with a kennel club, and a not breed club.

So following along those parameters, your kennel club should at least have a list of breeders either foreign or domestic, and... stay with me here, the breeders, or even your own breeder "may" have an inclining as too how and where to have these tests done, I am only guessing here based on moderate experience, but to get detailed information on breed specific tests and medical issues, surely the first port of call would be to the breeders, who may, by occasion have had to preform similar tests themselves in the past. Perhaps a long shot, but at least worth a shot don't you think?

Failing that line of inquiry, you mentioned a service that would receive a dna sample by mail or courier service, and I personally wouldn't be put off by the fact I couldn't attend the lab directly to give a dna sample.

But if you want to see the samples taken and the tests preformed, it looks like you'll have to day trip to Dublin at the very least,

http://www.easydna.ie/dnanews.php/dna-dog-testing-and-tests-for-other-animals

laters
    V

Yes of course worth a shot im pretty sure these tests are available further afield just wasnt sure if available in ireland . I dont mind sending off his dna to companies overseas but i suppose worried they wldnt really be legit . Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Yeah that might be an issue, how about emailing them first and asking about a certificate of authenticity, who their governing body is and the accuracy of the tests preformed. At least then you have some form of knowledge about these people and how they operate, and if your satisfied you can move forward, or failing that try a few other places until you get a satisfactory answer.

Advertisement