Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rí Ra Irish Pubs

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I was just wondering if many people are going to America this time with Ri Ra and what destinations are people choosing???
    Also anyone who has been previously, could you give any feedback please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There's some info in an older thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541855

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

What is Ri ra irish pubs. Do they get you work visas

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Number8

I hope to be going this year... Had my interview last week. It's really tough to find anything out at all but there are bits here and there on google from other people that are over there or have been.
    I think most people apply for Vegas... Thinking about Atlantic City or Arlington myself. Where are you thinkin about goin?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I accepted the visa application letter today and sent it back to them. I'm hoping to get Georgetown or Arlington myself. If I don't get either of them I'm going to think long and hard about still going.

Cena, RiRa are a chain of Irish pubs. They sponsor one year J1 visas and recruit in Ireland.

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I accepted the visa application letter today and sent it back to them. I'm hoping to get Georgetown or Arlington myself. If I don't get either of them I'm going to think long and hard about still going.

Cena, RiRa are a chain of Irish pubs. They sponsor one year J1 visas and recruit in Ireland.

Just out of curiosity why only those two locations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Clogs0

Im really not sure what destinations I'll be putting down yet. Think I'll rule Las Vegas out as I think that's where most people will be choosing. North Carolina is supposed to be beautiful. The new bar thats opening in Washington sounds pretty appealing too as everyone will be starting off at the same time and in the interview they said they would be recruiting 8/9 Irish people for that pub. I'm really not sure yet though! Would love feedback from someone who has already done it! :-)

Number8 wrote: »
    I hope to be going this year... Had my interview last week

They emailed everyone back yesterday. Mine went into my junk mail just if u want to check there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I worked in RíRá in Louisville, Kentucky. It was an amazing experience and I would definitely go back again. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

thecatspjs wrote: »
    I worked in RíRá in Louisville, Kentucky. It was an amazing experience and I would definitely go back again. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

How was Kentucky?? Whats the weather like??? How was the accommodation??? Was it easy to get to work from where u lived??? Were there many Irish people working in the same pub as you that travelled at the same time???

Sorry about all the questions just eager to know stuff about all the destinations to help make up my mind!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I never heard of this until now but working in America is something I have wanted to do for a while now. The only thing stopping me was the cost. I have worked in bars, restaurants and hotels for 7 years so experience isn't a problem. Im just wondering do they provide accom also or is it up to yourself to find it and also what is the pay like. I am working full-time at the mo but I have been told if I wanted a year out, my job would be there when I got back so this is an opportunity I would love to have a go at.

Any info appreciated.

• Advertisement

Clogs0 wrote: »
    How was Kentucky?? Whats the weather like??? How was the accommodation??? Was it easy to get to work from where u lived??? Were there many Irish people working in the same pub as you that travelled at the same time???

Sorry about all the questions just eager to know stuff about all the destinations to help make up my mind!!! :)

Louisville is a really cool place, off the beaten track for most european visitors. It's hot there in the summers, and humid but certainly manageable! I went over with my GF and the manager helped us to find accomm in an apartment block 2 mins from work which was soooo handy. There was two other Irish guys working there at the time, one of whom married a local. It's right in the middle of the downtown area and there is plenty of things to do to keep ya occupied on your days off. We only went for the summer (which they don't normally do, but we got lucky) so I'm not sure what it's like in the winter. AFAIK it can be quite cold and business is slower so much of the waitstaff take a second job.

If you have any questions ask away! Happy to tell you about it!

They emailed everyone back yesterday. Mine went into my junk mail just if u want to check there! :)

Got it and replied... Their reply then says to wait till 30th for the next step. I tend to agree with the posts above... From what they said in Dublin most go for Vegas... So I think I'll stick to Washington myself and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Im really not sure what destinations I'll be putting down yet. Think I'll rule Las Vegas out as I think that's where most people will be choosing. North Carolina is supposed to be beautiful. The new bar thats opening in Washington sounds pretty appealing too as everyone will be starting off at the same time and in the interview they said they would be recruiting 8/9 Irish people for that pub. I'm really not sure yet though! Would love feedback from someone who has already done it! :-)

Yes we have a RiRa in Charlotte NC. Charlotte is a great town if anyone was considering applying. I'd say all the bigger cities get the most applications so its probably better to try one of the less known cities!

Aprilmay wrote: »
    Yes we have a RiRa in Charlotte NC. Charlotte is a great town if anyone was considering applying. I'd say all the bigger cities get the most applications so its probably better to try one of the less known cities!

It's definitely going to be in my top 3 anyway!!! Could you give me more info on what Charlotte is like??? Weather wise and is the pub a busy location??? :)

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Louisville is a really cool place, off the beaten track for most european visitors. It's hot there in the summers, and humid but certainly manageable! I went over with my GF and the manager helped us to find accomm in an apartment block 2 mins from work which was soooo handy. There was two other Irish guys working there at the time, one of whom married a local. It's right in the middle of the downtown area and there is plenty of things to do to keep ya occupied on your days off. We only went for the summer (which they don't normally do, but we got lucky) so I'm not sure what it's like in the winter. AFAIK it can be quite cold and business is slower so much of the waitstaff take a second job.

If you have any questions ask away! Happy to tell you about it!

Thanks a million for your reply. Do you know if you can take on a second job when over with Rira or is there something that would forbid this??? It going quiet in the winter would be my only reservation about choosing it. Be afraid I wouldn't make enough money as its going to be near Winter when I'm starting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

It's definitely going to be in my top 3 anyway!!! Could you give me more info on what Charlotte is like??? Weather wise and is the pub a busy location??? :)
    Yes it's in what we call Uptown, Charlotte is a banking district and its in a busy location there is actually a couple of other Irish pubs in the city, Connolly's on 5th is just around the corner from RiRa's and all the gang from both pubs get on. The weather is great! Its the south so its HOT! We've an Irish society and there's a GAA club. Loads of Irish here.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I never heard of this until now but working in America is something I have wanted to do for a while now. The only thing stopping me was the cost. I have worked in bars, restaurants and hotels for 7 years so experience isn't a problem. Im just wondering do they provide accom also or is it up to yourself to find it and also what is the pay like. I am working full-time at the mo but I have been told if I wanted a year out, my job would be there when I got back so this is an opportunity I would love to have a go at.

Any info appreciated.

Its a company that has pubs all over America in like 12 different locations and they come to Ireland about 3 times a yearto recruit. Instead of having the cost of flights and visa and health insurance up front they pay it and all you have to give us a deposit of 500 and you pay the rest from your wages weekly when you get over there.
    It does be advertised on jobs.ie you should keep an eye out for it!!!

Aprilmay wrote: »
    Yes it's in what we call Uptown, Charlotte is a banking district and its in a busy location there is actually a couple of other Irish pubs in the city, Connolly's on 5th is just around the corner from RiRa's and all the gang from both pubs get on. The weather is great! Its the south so its HOT! We've an Irish society and there's a GAA club. Loads of Irish here.

Oooohhhh it's sounding more and more like my #1!!! :)
    Do you know what accommodation is like over there??? Is it difficult to get and is it expensive???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MusicalMarie

I am planning to head over later this year :) Accepted the offer yesterday!

I have been asking loads of people who have been to America or have family/friends over there and haven't actually heard anything about Louisville, but I really want to head somewhere that is different and not the norm...

petty there isn't one in new York. Is this only those that finished college etc and is it only for the year?

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    petty there isn't one in new York. Is this only those that finished college etc and is it only for the year?

Having one in New York would be great! I really want to see NY!

I have just finished college and, yeah, I think it is mostly graduates who go for the year. They never mentioned if there was a chance to stay on after the initial J1 visa is up...would be great if we could tho! Not like there are any jobs over here to come back to!:rolleyes:

Thanks a million for your reply. Do you know if you can take on a second job when over with Rira or is there something that would forbid this??? It going quiet in the winter would be my only reservation about choosing it. Be afraid I wouldn't make enough money as its going to be near Winter when I'm starting! :)

Not entirely sure about any difficulties that may arise finding additional work; as I didn't have to do it. I was just told that it can be slow in the winter but if you are interested in going there I would definitely ask (as I could be mistaken!). I'm sure they wouldn't take you on if there was no work to do or money to be made.

The good thing about RíRá is that most of them aren't in typical holiday locations so wherever you end up, you will have a unique experience at the very least :cool:

You need to have a qualification in the hospitality trade or have I think 4/5 years experience in the hospitality trade. I'm pretty sure you have to be over 21 too :)

I am planning to head over later this year :) Accepted the offer yesterday!

I have been asking loads of people who have been to America or have family/friends over there and haven't actually heard anything about Louisville, but I really want to head somewhere that is different and not the norm...

What other destinations are you considering??? I'm really not sure yet but Charlotte I think would be an amazing experience!!! :)
    I'm also looking at Washington as a possible option!!!! Its all so crazy can't believe it's actually happening! :)

Does anyone know anything about the pub in Bethesda or Evansville??

Does anyone know anything about the pub in Bethesda or Evansville??

I'm pretty sure the pub in Bethesda is closing down in September. Think I remember seeing something on the website about it!!!

What other destinations are you considering??? I'm really not sure yet but Charlotte I think would be an amazing experience!!! :)
    I'm also looking at Washington as a possible option!!!! Its all so crazy can't believe it's actually happening! :)

Em...have been think really hard about it the past day or so and have been thinking about Atlantic City, Charlotte, Evansville and Louisville...

Washington would be cool...but it will he expensive for accomm because it Georgetown (student area)!

I know! I can't believe I'm actually doing this!!! :o

You need to have a qualification in the hospitality trade or have I think 4/5 years experience in the hospitality trade. I'm pretty sure you have to be over 21 too :)

I have 5 years working in a night club and 3 years as a supervisor

Washington would be cool...but it will he expensive for accomm because it Georgetown (student area)!

Yeah that's true never thought of that! And I can't see students being great tippers either!!!! :/ I know I wasn't :L

I wonder how many Irish people are going over this time!!!

• Advertisement

I have 5 years working in a night club and 3 years as a supervisor

I found the advert on Jobs.ie! They said in the interview that they recruit 3 times a year so u should keep an eye on it! :)

Advertisement