Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rí Ra Irish Pubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MusicalMarie

Clogs0 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true never thought of that! And I can't see students being great tippers either!!!! :/ I know I wasn't :L

I wonder how many Irish people are going over this time!!!

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking too!!

I think they said in the interview that they recruit 60/70 people...so I'm sure there'll be a few of us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I found the advert on Jobs.ie! They said in the interview that they recruit 3 times a year so u should keep an eye on it! :)

They would need to open one in new York before I apply. Have family in brooklyn

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Oooohhhh it's sounding more and more like my #1!!! :)
    Do you know what accommodation is like over there??? Is it difficult to get and is it expensive???

I'm not sure about apartments etc in the city, I live in the suburbs but there is the Lynx which is the equivalent of the Luas line. You could have a choice of places along it. Prices are more expensive near the good school districts so since you are younger and not looking to send kids to school you can avoid those places because rentals are more expensive in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sharw22

silja wrote: »
    There's some info in an older thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541855

Hi all I am thinking of applying for rira job I was just wondering would i be eligible to apply I have a business degree but no experience in the hospitality sector only in the retail sector?and also what west coast locations are there?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sharw22

I was just wondering if many people are going to America this time with Ri Ra and what destinations are people choosing???
    Also anyone who has been previously, could you give any feedback please?

Hi all I am thinking of applying for rira job I was just wondering would i be eligible to apply I have a business degree but no experience in the hospitality sector only in the retail sector?and also what west coast locations are there?thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

sharw22 wrote: »

Perhaps you could look at their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I applied for this a few weeks ago, I have an interview on the 3rd of October. Anyone else have an interview or has anyone else done the interview and worked for them already.

Any feedback for the noobs going for the job??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmaniac

Hey everybody. I'm currently working for Ri ra in Atlantic city. Great company to work for and the people here are cool. Georgetown sounds like a great place to start cause there will be so many people starting together. But it's expensive. They normally set you up for first week or so with accommodation and help you find something more permanent. I got lucky and replaced a j1er. Vegas is a 3 year waiting list they told us. Any questions I can help with I will try my best to answer.

mmaniac wrote: »
    Hey everybody. I'm currently working for Ri ra in Atlantic city. Great company to work for and the people here are cool. Georgetown sounds like a great place to start cause there will be so many people starting together. But it's expensive. They normally set you up for first week or so with accommodation and help you find something more permanent. I got lucky and replaced a j1er. Vegas is a 3 year waiting list they told us. Any questions I can help with I will try my best to answer.

Thanks mmaniac. Ok, what was the interview like? Standard or harder than normal?

What is the money like? Enough to live on for a non-smoker and a very light drinker or would you be scraping by every week?

What is the repayment plan like? Affordable?

What are the bosses like? Let you do your work but keep their eye on you or are they a bit more "in your face"?

Do you have to book your own flight there and do you have to get your own accom before going or does the pub help you with both?

What is the age group of most people working there?

Are there many Irish people in each pub?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to know a little bit about them before the interview so I'm not like a total zombie in there. I'm sure I will think of more questions in the future if you don't mind answering them?

Any questions you can answer is appreciated, any questions you can't answer or don't feel comfortable saying publicly is cool too :)

Hi dobman. The interview is pretty standard alot easier than I thought they are looking for your personality more than anything. When you arrive you will be greeted by a guy called Cyril I think to check you In he I heard has a lot to do with checking you out.

Money is minimum wage they tell you that in interview. But the tips are good depending on how hard you wanna work. You will have no problem surviving on the money you make.

Repayment comes out of your pay check do you never even miss it causes that covers tax and repayment so you just live off your tips.

Bosses are fairly cool and will help you with everything and anything you need. They are pretty much leave you to it.

You have the choice to pay for your own flight or they will pay and you pay it back over the year. And they provide you with first few nights accommodation then help you find somewhere to live.

Age group is between 21-30 generally and there's 8 or 9 Irish in the Ri ra I work in.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much mmaniac,

I was freaking out over some of those things cos its such a big deal for me to leave my job and things here. I feel more relaxed now with your info, bring on the interview!!

If I think of anything else I will post it here if you don't mind answering? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Any update on what these guys are like to work for or the Claddagh pub group?

So I have just been told I am heading to Charlotte, North Carolina!! Not sure when I'm heading over as I am still waiting ony visa! Anyone out there have anything to say about Charlotte, NC??

So I have just been told I am heading to Charlotte, North Carolina!! Not sure when I'm heading over as I am still waiting ony visa! Anyone out there have anything to say about Charlotte, NC??

I live in Charlotte NC, I have lived here since we left Ireland, we love it! There are lots of Irish here too. Charlotte's a banking town so its busy during the week but quieter on Weekends as most people out in the suburbs.The people from RiRa's usually hang out with the crowd from the other Irish pubs.

Its a nice spot I'm sure you'll love it anyone we have ever met that's has worked in RiRa's in Charlotte never wants to leave when their time is up!

Aprilmay wrote: »
    I live in Charlotte NC, I have lived here since we left Ireland, we love it! There are lots of Irish here too. Charlotte's a banking town so its busy during the week but quieter on Weekends as most people out in the suburbs.The people from RiRa's usually hang out with the crowd from the other Irish pubs.

Its a nice spot I'm sure you'll love it anyone we have ever met that's has worked in RiRa's in Charlotte never wants to leave when their time is up!

Great to hear!!! Don't suppose you are looking for a lodger? ;):p
    Being serious though, could you recommend any places that are nice and also cheap?

Great to hear!!! Don't suppose you are looking for a lodger? ;):p
    Being serious though, could you recommend any places that are nice and also cheap?

With two kids no lodgers and we are up @ 5:45 on school mornings and my husband works from home. You'd never get any sleep. LOL. I live out in the suburbs and you'd need a car. There's a light rail called the Lynx you could find something along that as it stops right by RiRa. Do they not help you find anything?

I have an interview next Wednesday the 2nd October.

Can anybody give any advice on how the interview is??

Interview is fairly straight forward. The guy who greets you and has a chat with you is part of it aswell so have a good chat with him. The interview consists if then telling you all about rira. They ask you what you think an Irish pub should have,when have you ever gone the extra mile for a customer and the usual questions. They are more looking for your personality aswell.

mmaniac wrote: »
    Interview is fairly straight forward. The guy who greets you and has a chat with you is part of it aswell so have a good chat with him. The interview consists if then telling you all about rira. They ask you what you think an Irish pub should have,when have you ever gone the extra mile for a customer and the usual questions. They are more looking for your personality aswell.

Just home from the interview, Kerry to Dublin and back again zzzzzzzz :pac:

Went well I think, Cyril was cool. Heres hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clogs0

Me too!!!! :-) Wonder how many of us are going to North Carolina!!!!

• Advertisement

Me too!!!! :-) Wonder how many of us are going to North Carolina!!!!

I am waiting to find out if I have the job, if I do get it, I will be choosing Charlotte as my number 1. I should know Friday evening or Monday if I have it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clogs0

dobman88 wrote: »
    I am waiting to find out if I have the job, if I do get it, I will be choosing Charlotte as my number 1. I should know Friday evening or Monday if I have it or not

Did u get it? :-)

Did u get it? :-)

Yes :)

Just trying to figure out the money side of it now. Once all the embassy fees and everything are added on its expensive enough. Hopefully will be worth it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Is this job solely for those who are eligible for a J1 graduate visa or does the company sponsor visas also?? Thanks!

Is this job solely for those who are eligible for a J1 graduate visa or does the company sponsor visas also?? Thanks!

I don't have any college education and I don't have a Leaving Cert.

I do have the 7 years experience in hospitality that they require and I intend on making a career in the hospitality industry and they seemed satisfied with that. I never thought for a million years they would say yes to me but they have. Once I pass the interview with the embassy in Dublin now, I will be on my way.

Why don't you just apply and see what they say? I only applied on the off chance because I thought it was one of the only ways for me to go and work in the USA without it costing a fortune and less than a month later I had an interview set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Will do dobman88 thanks for your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DeadbeatDancer

Hey guys!

I went for an interview at the beginning of this month and found out last week that I got the job too. Exciting times, hey? :) Anyone else thinking of Rhode Island? They said in the interview that you should choose a city that has stuff that you enjoy doing in your spare time. I'm big into my sport and apparently the Gillette Stadium is about 30 mins away from the pub so that'd be cool. Anywhere that'd have plenty of live music too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for the visa application to *hopefully* be successful and for me to be over in the US? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rockinrobin7

Hi Musical Marie,

I am also heading over but i am unsure of where to go!
    How do you like Charlotte??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Interview with David Kelly who built up the chain. The admission in the second paragraph is staggering despite the inaccurate maths!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/wild-geese-david-kelly-r%C3%AD-r%C3%A1-irish-pubs-us-1.1564371

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

"Backed by Bank of Wachovia"

A funny error.

Advertisement