Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Purchase Survey Opinion

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Can someone please advise on whether or not we should do a pre-purchase survey. We're fairly strapped and this few hundred euro would go a long way to getting some other stuff we need for the house. I completely understand and agree that when we're spending so much money on the house that this fee is just a drop in the ocean, but the reasons for us not getting it is as follows:

- The houses are terraced in a location we're very familiar with, we know the people that own the house right next door. They moved in about 5 years ago and haven't encountered any structural problems or anything alarming etc.

- My partners sister lives just a few doors up from the house and is living in the house over 10 years with no real problems either.

We know of the people who owned the house before us and have gotten reports back that they were very house proud. The house it has to be said is in great condition. It was built in the 90s so is relatively new and was built in a time when building mattered.

All in all after viewing the house twice there doesn't look to be anything of major concern.

Considering the above, would you think that it's neccessary to get a pre-purchase inspection?

All comments welcome. And thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It will be a condition of your mortgage that you get a survey done. Whether you want to fork out the extra few hundred for a full structural survey is up to you, but unless you are a cash buyer you will need a basic survey done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The bank will do a basic survey.
    Our house was build in the 70's so it paid for us to get a structural survey,it was structurally sound but the electrics were a mess and the water tank about to burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

It'll be a condition of the mortgage that you get a bank valuation done but the structural survey is optional. Personally I think you'd be mad not to get one done but if you have any friends/relatives in the building game they should be able to throw an expert eye over it for you. The bank only insist on seeing a copy of a survey report if the property is >100 yrs old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I agree 100% with Killers1.
    You'd be insane not to get a full structural survey done.
    Its around 20 years of age now- often problems only begin to manifest themselves after a period of time.
    Yes- it will cost a couple of hundred- but regardless of how well you think you know the area- it will be money well spent.

I think you'd be crazy to even consider buying without a survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yes - insane. There could be all sorts of problems with drainage, subsidence, electrics, etc - none of which will be obvious to the untrained eye. Previous owners being "house proud" is the least of your worries - dirt can be cleaned and walls can be painted relatively cheaply but try pricing putting down a new foundation or getting rid of a woodworm infestation !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement