Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th down attempts in regular season

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the team stats last night and it's quite interesting to look at the amount of 4th attempts from certain teams . Teams that had many comfortable wins .

It's stat boosting at best and rule breaking at worst . I had plenty of failed drives against players /CPU but I punted after even if it was 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 ... Because unfortunately that's the rule .

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was looking at the team stats last night and it's quite interesting to look at the amount of 4th attempts from certain teams . Teams that had many comfortable wins .

It's stat boosting at best and rule breaking at worst . I had plenty of fails drives against players /CPU but I punted after even if it was 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 ... Because unfortunately that's the rule .

Dave are you seeing those on XBL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

You can go into conversion in teams stats and see how many 4th down attempts teams had and succeeded in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can go into conversion in teams stats and see how many 4th down attempts teams had and succeeded in

Wont be online til M25 :pac:

Want to stick up the top 10 attempts?

Wont be online til M25 :pac:

Want to stick up the top 10 attempts?

I'm currently in girlfriends so I can't . I can do it tmrw or If someone else wouldn't mind doing It

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Oh I definitely did it a rake of times versus the cpu,I'll be high up that list maybe no1?.
    If the punishment is to miss my playoff game then I'm fine by that.

Don't have a good reason either,just did it in the 1st/2nd quarters so I'd have a comfortable lead on the cpu in the 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Oh I definitely did it a rake of times versus the cpu,I'll be high up that list maybe no1?.
    If the punishment is to miss my playoff game then I'm fine by that.

Don't have a good reason either,just did it in the 1st/2nd quarters so I'd have a comfortable lead on the cpu in the 2nd half

Tut Tut Tut :P

Tut Tut Tut :P
    Ya to be honest I didn't even think about the 4th downs versus the cpu,figured once I didn't break the score limit or break any records I was ok,I'll take whatever punishment comes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ya to be honest I didn't even think about the 4th downs versus the cpu,figured once I didn't break the score limit or break any records I was ok,I'll take whatever punishment comes though.

To be honest im surprised i only had 6 tries at 4th downs (i was expecting alot more) and i think they were all against user team except maybe 1, im pretty sure if i had more against CPU teams i would've gone for them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

You won't be missing any games, sure for all we know all your 4th downs were legitimate.

Giants 19 Attempts 13 Converted
    Jaguars 18 Attempts 10 Converted
    Buccaneers 18 Attempts 10 converted
    Raiders 14 Attempts 9 Converted
    Ravens 12 Attempted 6 converted
    Cardinals 12 attempted 6 converted
    Lions 11 attempted 7 converted
    Dolphins 11 attempted 5 converted
    Seahawks 11 attempted 8 converted
    Bronco's 11 attempted 4 converted
    49ers 10 attempted 5 converted
    Saints 8 attempted 2 converted
    Rams 7 Attempted 3 converted
    Packers 6 attempted 2 converted
    Colts 6 attempted 2 converted
    Titans 4 attempted 1 converted
    Bengals 4 attempted 0 converted
    Patriots 3 attempted 0 converted
    Jets 1 attempted 0 converted

Full list of Human players

• Advertisement

Hmmm... not as bad as I expected. Top three probably a bit excessive. And Dave can't believe you only went for it once on fourth down. It's a rule that we can't really enforce in CPU games. Also hopefully next year they bring back where you can see if people restated games.

As I said it there won't be any punishments. It would be interesting to see last year's stats though and see if people did it as much against human players.

Giants

In a 28-0 win against cpu redskins converted twice on 4th
    In a 21-15 win against CPU Panters converted for it twice
    In a 22-0 win over CPU Steelers converted for it twice
    In a 34-3 win against CPU Cowboys converted for it 3 times

Jaguars
    In a 35-0 win against cpu texans converted it twice
    In a 35-7 win against cpu texans converted twice
    In a 35-10 win against cpu vikings converted twice

I looked at the top two teams schedules, I can only see converted 4th down attempts in box scores in schedule not the number of attempts. Here are the ones that are frankly fishy.

I think its stat whoring to be honest,,

I only went for it once because I was ahead early in most games. Also i trusted my defense to score more points than my offense :pac:

Raoul wrote: »

As I said it there won't be any punishments.

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lads I can tell you right now hand on heart that my attempts are higher than normal so that I could avoid padding my stats and end the game as soon as possible. Almost all of them were late in the game when I had reached the score limit, and were to either turn the ball over on downs and avoid punting into the endzone or to continue to run the clock down. Like, if I'm 4th and 2 with 1:30 left on the clock on their 15 and have reached the score limit so I can't kick a FG, if I make the 2 yards the game will be over in a minute, but if I punt into the endzone that stops the clock, then the CPU fail with 3 passes which all stop the clock, then punt it back to me to run out the clock, it's pointless.

I can think of a number of occasions when playing the CPU on 4th and something inside their 20 when I thought "feck it, its quicker to just give them the ball by not getting a 1st down" and been tackled over the first down line. Every game I played against the CPU was wrapped up by the 2nd quarter so it became about getting the clock down as quick as possible.

Why ?

Its the last playoff of Madden 13 and I would prefer people not be banned for their last game and miss out. We can't prove that any of the 4th downs were unreasonable.

While some of those stats appear high (i thought i'd be a lot higher) but the Jags Buucs and Giants average out at 1 a game, which isnt that much tbh.

With the conversion rates (Giants excluded) most people are hovering around 50% or less, if they are going for it when they shouldnt, they are turning the ball over more than they are keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Not much of an excuse but, I've over 500 rushing attempts. The best aspect of my game is my passing. Obviously with this season I sought to improve on this. So the majority of the game I rushed. Even on third on long. Alot of instances left me on 4h and 1. In which case I went for it if it was inside the opp 40.

But I won't hold any negative feelings. For any punishment I receive.

I think people are a bit reluctant to go for it on 4th and 1. Ideally I'd go for it on every 4th and 1. As my conversion rate would justify it in my gameplan

Raoul wrote: »
    Its the last playoff of Madden 13 and I would prefer people not be banned for their last game and miss out. We can't prove that any of the 4th downs were unreasonable.

Personally I wouldn't like anyone to miss out on play offs , but punishments should carry over.

Honestly with 18 conversions and you can look back , it wasn't as If they were doing one every game . It's against the rules .

If you bend on this rule, next it will be no huddle. Then onside kicks and so on..

Ah I'm only 10th on the list I thought I'd be way worse :P

Dave, fully get what you're saying.
    However given the amount of CPU games this season and the fact it wasnt an issue in Seasons 1 and 2, it wasnt something i paid any attention to this season.

Also CPU games it would be pretty hard to police the other things you say as we dont have stats on those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Dave would ya chill out. If you can find one user team who has a problem with me going for it on 4th I will sit out the playoffs. I don't do it. I have done it against the CPU out of sheer boredom and wanting to keep the clock ticking over with run plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Thought I had way more!

The issue is not in human games as if you took the piss it would end up with me.

The issue is in CPU games where you can take the piss and ultimately no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As I said, the reason I do it is to end the game as soon as possible. I've never broken the score limit, it is purely because of the sheer tediousness of playing the CPU in Madden, I don't enjoy it, it's never close, it's the definition of monotony. I'm not using it in any way to gain an advantage, so if I was to be punished for that I would be fairly pissed off. I know that I won't be, but it would have been very easy for me to drop out of this season, especially considering I am fairly sure I won't even make the Superbowl, so if I was to persist with playing the CPU 66% of the time just to stick around for the rare human games, being punished for trying to end those games as quick as possible, for me, would be absolute horse****.

Glad to see it's being treated like the non-issue it is, it effects no-one and changes nothing.

EDIT:

Actually just checked the rules:

2) Go for it anytime in Q4 when behind OR inside opposition 40.

Pretty sure I didn't break any rules so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Surely it's only stats boosting if 4th down conversion is a stat we care about?

Advertisement