Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Virus - Can't download updates

Options
  • 23-07-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I've got some sort of virus on my sony vaio laptop - I can't download any program updates or new programs that I know to be safe such as chrome extensions.
    Instead of starting the download in a normal way I am taken to a page for 'free unzip software|7Zip'

which is an address I do not recognise and software I have not installed.

I've done countless scans and deelted and uninstalled many non-essential programs and files, to no avail.

Anyone recognise this 7zip trojan and know how to get rid?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Please don't post the address of suspect websites which are clearly designed to entrap other people and leave them in the same situation as you are now.

Can I suggest you remove that URL from your post at which point you might get some offer of assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Clars1909

Removed - thanks for tip.

I'm assuming that it is a MS machine, can you boot into "Safe Mode with Networking", install "Malwarebytes Anti-Bytes" and perform a full scan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

coylemj wrote: »
    Please don't post the address of suspect websites which are clearly designed to entrap other people and leave them in the same situation as you are now.

On another note please report these posts also so a mod can deal with them in the meantime :) . Just click the report.gif report button to report the post :) . The OP won't be punished if it's done by mistake but we can remove the URL

Thanks

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Download Kaspersky Rescue Disc

http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

Burn .iso to disc.

Boot PC to this disc and then update and run scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I would also like to add to this, that 7Zip is a legitimate program. However, you are probably being redirected to a bogas site that has nothing in fact to do with said company/program.

OP, your regular browser may have been nobbled in order that every file download is intercepted in favour of the malware item you're encountering.

Maybe try a different browser or check the options for file downloads in the browser you're using.

Another option is to download a malware removal tool on a different computer, put it on a memory stick and install it from there on to your machine and run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Clars1909

Thanks all!

Tried safe mode and running malware - didn't work unfortunately.

Will run malware from memory stick - keep you posted.

Edited to add: This virus is across all browsers, not just chrome.

Consider running this tool as well, you might need to download it on another computer so you will need to specify your OS version rather than accept the one suggested on the other computer's browser as it may not be on the same OS version as yours.

This tool runs in the background next time your machine is idle after you install it. There is no direct way to start it so you install it, then leave your machine sitting idle for an hour or so and see what happens.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

Advertisement