Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo county mangers ridiculous pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

You looking for post thanks? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Does Clare Daly work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

red sean wrote: »
    You looking for post thanks? :P

Not at all, but I'll tell you a story.

Since I've moved in to my estate 7 years ago 4 council houses have been left vacant and each and every one of them have been trashed, two so badly that the copper piping was ripped out of the walls and the water left running through the house, causing untold amounts of damage. The council had been called and warned 3 out of those 4 times.

A year ago the council put new windows in a vacant house on our estate, that very night all the front windows were put through, when I rang the council foreman and questioned why they had just put in brand new windows and never thought to board them back up until they got a new tenant to protect them, especially when they new the history of houses being vandalised, the exact reply I got was "It's not my job to make those decisions, that's up to the county manager, I'm just the foreman."

If that's how the management of Sligo coco run their business, no wonder they're in debt, so how could they possibly justify that sort of payoff. Not a chance would I get that sort of money for not doing my job. Hell, he can't even control his council meetings, we have to pay an outside observer for that!

Just my opinion of course, please don't leave thanks, some people may think that's the only reason I'm posting here....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

He has been County Manager since 1996 and I presume that time spent along with other time accrued as a Public Servant will all tally up to give the ridiculous pension and lump sum amounts that the Government hand out to Senior Officials and Politicians.

I don't know what age he is but he doesn't look 66 so if the ordinary Joe Soap can't draw a State Pension until 66 neither should he and that goes for all across the board.

THIS LIST is a few years old but always makes my blood boil in this time when the ordinary people are scrimping and having to put up with tax after tax and the upper echelons live the life of luxury. It's what give the Public Service a bad name as unfortunately everyone in it is tarred with the same brush.

All but 3 people on that list make more per annum for scratching their arses than I make for a 40+ hr weeks work.

• Advertisement

rizzodun wrote: »
    Not at all, but I'll tell you a story.

Since I've moved in to my estate 7 years ago 4 council houses have been left vacant and each and every one of them have been trashed, two so badly that the copper piping was ripped out of the walls and the water left running through the house, causing untold amounts of damage. The council had been called and warned 3 out of those 4 times.

A year ago the council put new windows in a vacant house on our estate, that very night all the front windows were put through, when I rang the council foreman and questioned why they had just put in brand new windows and never thought to board them back up until they got a new tenant to protect them, especially when they new the history of houses being vandalised, the exact reply I got was "It's not my job to make those decisions, that's up to the county manager, I'm just the foreman."

If that's how the management of Sligo coco run their business, no wonder they're in debt, so how could they possibly justify that sort of payoff. Not a chance would I get that sort of money for not doing my job. Hell, he can't even control his council meetings, we have to pay an outside observer for that!

Just my opinion of course, please don't leave thanks, some people may think that's the only reason I'm posting here....
    So the Co. Manager personally told him go out and put in new windows and don't bother boarding them up? Not some junior Engineer?:rolleyes:
    The problem here is with the people who smashed the windows. If they had to pay for them in the first place it would be a different story.
    As far as his pension etc. is concerned, fair play to him!
    If I or anyone else on here had a good job like that, we would'nt be on here complaining.
    I don't know him or work for the CoCo, I'm self employed and have to pay for everything I get. And I have to pay for my pension too!
    But I'm not jealous of anyone who's done well.

But I'm not jealous of anyone who's done well.

I'm not jealous either, but in the current state the council is in it could hardly be said he's done well, by that logic the bankers who squandered all those millions deserved their inflated pensions too?

The county manager should be accountable for all decisions everyone working under him make.

The mess of the cycle lanes on the Strandhill road and cemetery road, two massive shopping centres in the town centre and two empty retail parks on the edge of town are some of the projects put through on his watch, not to mention tenders for business going not just out of town but across the border are just some (a very small portion, no doubt) of the issues more people than just myself have problems with. I wont even mention the debacle of council meetings.

Do you think if his pension was put to a local vote by the people of Sligo it would be passed and awarded to him?

I will say one thing though, I'm impressed with the improved in parks and play areas across the town in recent years, great to see and I hope they stay maintained.

I just don't believe looking at the current state of affairs in Sligo his pension can be even closely justified, and leaving an even bigger strain on whoever replaces him.

But if you're quite happy with how this town and county functions maybe I'm missing something! :D

If they had to pay for them in the first place it would be a different story.

Just one more thing, I agree with you on this 100%, but there is no accountability on the people who do this damage, and no particular will by the council IMO to make them accountable, which I speculate may be down to the lack of accountability within the council themselves. I cannot confirm this but on numerous discussions with council officials this is always the first conclusion I seem to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

That person would have paid a significant amount of money into his pension over his career.

Just to answer a few of your points:
    If the Co manager has to be aware of every decision by people delegated to do jobs then he's well entitled to his big salary/pension!

The mess of cycle lanes, I agree with you.

Shopping centres, retail parks etc. are privately owned and not council property. Planning granted by democratically elected councillors.

Tenders have to be entertained from all EU countries, provided they're tax compliant in their own country. I've just finished a job in the North.
    Should'nt have been allowed according to you!

If the people of Sligo had to vote on his salary, of course they'd vote against it. Because they'd want him working on min. wage and still have to listen the sh1t they'd be throwing at him.

If you feel so badly about how the County is being run, there's a local election next year. Your chance to get elected and do something about it.
    And we can then come on here and say what a waste of money you are!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

my issue isn't with his pension and salary, it is that he gets paid it regardless of job performance.

He is utterly incompetent as most non Fine Gael councillors in Sligo will tell you.

He has ran the council into the ground with unrealistic budgets. Over €4 million in funding for doing up O'Connell Street is now not being made available because Mr Kearns and his council can't come up with 10% to go towards it.

the road surfaces in Sligo, once you venture off the beaten track are absolutely shocking.

The man is an absolute joke and I really can't understand how everyone can't see that.

Tenders have to be entertained from all EU countries, provided they're tax compliant in their own country. I've just finished a job in the North.
    Should'nt have been allowed according to you!

Disagree with my point, it may even be wrong, but please don't go twisting my words.

I'm sure you don't go to work every day with the plan to do your job however you please and then just charge through the nose for it and expect payment, even if your customer is not happy.

My original post was how can the Sligo coco justify it and you haven't even come with one argument to state why he deserves his pension, just ridiculed anything I have said (which I'm fine with, by the way). Sure some of my points may be off, but when Sligo coco is seriously indebted while other coco's around the country are keeping their heads above water dealing with the same economy something must be up.

My salary is determined on performance, and not on length of service, if I under perform I'm sure there are plenty of people who are lined up to have my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Plazaman wrote: »

THIS LIST is a few years old but always makes my blood boil in this time when the ordinary people are scrimping and having to put up with tax after tax and the upper echelons live the life of luxury. It's what give the Public Service a bad name as unfortunately everyone in it is tarred with the same brush.

OT but Brian Cowen, 53 years of age and is being paid a pension of €150,000 for the rest of his life.

That's €30 million if he lives another 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Triangla wrote: »
    OT but Brian Cowen, 53 years of age and is being paid a pension of €150,000 for the rest of his life.

That's €30 million if he lives another 20 years.

3 million.

Advertisement