Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Further info problem

• 24-07-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

I'm researching this family:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Dromore/Magheragart/870318/

and i'm particularly interested in Daniel. I was informed that he was a soldier and that upon his death the family got a telegram from Eoin Mac Neill expressing his sympathy. I was also told that he was stationed in Paris, but I presumed this was wrong as Eoin Mac Neill was the leader of the Irish Volunteers who never fought on the continent. Searched amongst Irish Volunteer records&Free state army records and found nothing. Eventually realised maybe there was a mix up and it was the Unionist Terence O'Neill who sent the telegram. But still can't find him in WW1 records or indeed anywhere after the 1911 census.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd also suggest a crosspost to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Terence O'Neill was only born in 1914 so it's unlikely he was sending telegrams to anyone during WW1 !!
    Could this be Daniel ? - Merchant Navy WW2. Age is out, but parents are James and Ellen. Unfortunately no address given.
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2787926/GORMAN,%20DANIEL
    I can't see a death registration for this man in 1943 which would help if registered by a relative. Perhaps war dead were recorded differently.

I was informed that he was a soldier and that upon his death the family got a telegram from Eoin Mac Neill expressing his sympathy. I was also told that he was stationed in Paris.

So do you believe that Daniel died in the war, and if he survived the war you think the family story relates to Eoin Mac Neill sending the telegram perhaps decades later ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

hasta wrote: »
    Terence O'Neill was only born in 1914 so it's unlikely he was sending telegrams to anyone during WW1 !!
    Could this be Daniel ? - Merchant Navy WW2. Age is out, but parents are James and Ellen. Unfortunately no address given.
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2787926/GORMAN,%20DANIEL
    I can't see a death registration for this man in 1943 which would help if registered by a relative. Perhaps war dead were recorded differently.

This seems to be him, his parents were James and Ellen although he was born in 1896 so the age wouldn't be too accurate. Thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Ponster wrote: »
    So do you believe that Daniel died in the war, and if he survived the war you think the family story relates to Eoin Mac Neill sending the telegram perhaps decades later ?

Yes, that was my belief. Would definately believe the information above if the age matched up but I suppose its not too far out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's only a year or two out (depending when his birthday was) so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

The GRO does maintain a list of people who died overseas but I'm not sure if it's included in the online indexes. Also consider that during the emergency, the news may not have reached home for up to a few months, and the death may have been registered in the second or even third quarter of 1943.

Genealogy Forum Mod

patsman07 wrote: »
    Yes, that was my belief. Would definately believe the information above if the age matched up but I suppose its not too far out?

Perhaps but I'd still try and figure out if there was another Daniel Gorman with parents of the same name (from anywhere in the UK) just to be sure.

You may find this thread interesting : http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/18701-ss-banalbanach-sunk-7-jan-1943/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

I checked out the Daniel Gorman who died 1943 on the Benalbanach, he's not yours. The BMD Maritime Death register has him born in Cardiff and can see him in the 1911 census living with parents James and Ellen at 20 Little Frederick St.

Advertisement