Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP Link wireless wi fi extension.

Options
  • 24-07-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭

Can anyone figure out why i cant get this to work. I need wi fi in another part of the building and this was supposed to do it.
    The green lights are on showing that a signal is being received  but my laptop, ipad or iphone won't recognise it.
    Dissapointing as it cost around €80 from Eircom. I have tried the helpline several times but they are a waste of time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

finbarrk wrote: »
    Can anyone figure out why i cant get this to work. I need wi fi in another part of the building and this was supposed to do it.
    The green lights are on showing that a signal is being received  but my laptop, ipad or iphone won't recognise it.
    Dissapointing as it cost around €80 from Eircom. I have tried the helpline several times but they are a waste of time.

Hi finbarrk,

There is an online set up guide which may help - http://bit.ly/17CUmXg

Or it may be easier to call broadband support - 1890 260 260 to go through the settings step by step.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hi Mark. That link you sent me isn't for the product that I have purchased. It's a wireless extender that I have.
    I tried it again tonight. Same story. The ipad is recognising 'TP LINK C66F68' but it won't connect to it. Same with the iphone.
    As I said calling that helpline is a waste of time. I'm sick of calling them. Waiting for 10 -15 mins to hear the same story from all of them.
    Is it possible to get any of the broadband tech guys that are on the road to call to see what the problem is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark. That link you sent me isn't for the product that I have purchased. It's a wireless extender that I have.
    I tried it again tonight. Same story. The ipad is recognising 'TP LINK C66F68' but it won't connect to it. Same with the iphone.
    As I said calling that helpline is a waste of time. I'm sick of calling them. Waiting for 10 -15 mins to hear the same story from all of them.
    Is it possible to get any of the broadband tech guys that are on the road to call to see what the problem is?

Hi finbarrk

Was the TP link sent from eircom or is it one you purchased personally?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

@Finbarrk

Is the TP your main ADSL/ Router?
    If not, is your ADSL connected to a plain modem or a wireless modem/router?

I'm not 100% certain of the technicalities behind this as it is not my field of expertise.
    The way it was explained to me a while ago was that in order to extend your wifi, you actually need to have an ADSL modem which sends the signal to a wireless router. From there you can connect separate access points that act as repeaters. That will extend your network
    Normal wireless modem router combos cannot extend the wifi range

In my house, I have a netgear modem which connects to a Cisco wireless router. The router connects to 1 additional Cisco AP/repeater. I get 100% strength throughtout my house and back garden

Mark, the device was purchased from Eircom and the price of it was taken out of the phone bill.

Italia, the TP is connected by a cable to the Eircom wi fi device thats connected to the phone socket. That part of it is working fine. I don't know what an ASDL is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

@finbarrk

Thats exactly what I was trying to explain to you :)

Your ADSL (broadband) is coming from Eircom via the phone socket. Your wifi device (connected to that socket) is commonly known as a adsl modem router combo. It shares "internet connectivity" to your pc's both via wifi as well as from the built in network ports.

By connecting the TP to that wifi device (via an ethernet port), you are in effect trying to connect a new access point and extend your wireless network. That configuration to the best of my knowledge will not work.
    You can try to turn off the wireless section of the wifi device and leave only the TP, but I still doubt it will work.

What you require is something like this:

Eircom Broadband -> Phone socket -> ADSL modem -> Wireless router -> Access point (TP Link)   NOTE: the ADSL modem and the Wireless Router are 2 separate devices.

This article should help a bit:  http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Thanks Italia. So I must buy a  wireless router and connect it to the existing eircom device, then connect my TP link device to that  wireless router.
    Worth a try. Hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

If you have the TP link home plugs purchased from eircom it needs to be configured.
    you need to plug the homeplug with the wifi into a laptop or a PC via the ethernet cable and connect the other adapter in the modem and run the utility, this will create a duplicate SSID to the same one as the modem, so you can either choose to keep all the settings the same as the modem or create a new SSID and security settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the tp links MUST be on the same power circuit (the narrow trip switch in your fuse box must kill power to both power sockets)

if socket A is on trip switch 1 and power socket b is on trip switch 2 the plugs wont work.

never use tp links on a gang lead... they wont work very well

the tp links MUST be on the same power circuit (the narrow trip switch in your fuse box must kill power to both power sockets)

if socket A is on trip switch 1 and power socket b is on trip switch 2 the plugs wont work.

never use tp links on a gang lead... they wont work very well
    Maybe that's my problem. The sockets wouldn't be on the same trip switch.

• Advertisement

I tried it there now on a socket thats on the same trip switch as the base socket and it's the same story. The iphone recognizes the TP Link but it won't latch on to it. It's a disaster of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First off, what's the make & model of the device you got from Eircom, and secondly, what IOS version is on the iPhone & iPad?

Have heard lots of problems with the newer IOS version about connecting to certain devices. I have a (jailbroken) iPhone with an IOS version 5.0.1 and I have no problems, but my father who has the latest IOS couldn't connect to a Cisco Access Point that I had. Can you see if you can connect to your new access point with something other than an Apple device?

Ok, thanks syco. Won't be at home until tomorrow. I'll try it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok, thanks syco. Won't be at home until tomorrow. I'll try it then.
    So... any update?

Sorry Syco, still didn't get a chance to try it out. The Galway Races is to blame.

I tried that out with a Samsung phone and it works. Thats off an electrical socket in the old part of the building. The apple devices won't work or any of them wont work in the part of the building I bought the thing for.

Can I get a refund Eircom if I return the useless thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Can I get a refund Eircom if I return the useless thing?
    Hi finbarrk,

I wouldn't be able to advice if you are entitled to a refund I'm afraid from my channel, I'd suggest contacting the technical support team to query it with them on 1890 260 260 (telephone number and option 0)

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement