Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my wireless adapter in my laptop broken?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Is my wireless adapter in my laptop broken?

I have a HP G62 Notebook which has a Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter.

Trying to connect to O2 hotshot device, when I can make a connection to the device, there is no internet access. My Nexus 7 tablet and my phone can make an establish connections with no problems. I also can connect to the device by USB and have internet access.

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem including: -

* Switching on and off the Hotshot device + using the reset button.
    * Windows troubleshooting
    * Doing a system restore on my laptop to a point it was working.
    * Reinstalling the drivers for the wireless card.

Is there some simple solution to configuring the network connection that I am missing?

Is there alternative wifi connection software other than default windows that I could try.

If the wireless card is broken, is it easy to replace in my Laptop?

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Have you tried connecting to another wireless network to see if in fact it is your network card that's faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Have you tried connecting to another wireless network to see if in fact it is your network card that's faulty?

Sure did, tried to connect to my phone's hotspot. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's now working again for some reason. Tried it again this morning and it wouldn't even connect. Turn it off for a few hours and it now works.

Luckily the laptop has about 2 months left in the extended warranty, will drop it into PCWorld in the Morning for Health Checkup and see if they can test it out for me.

Regards,

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did the laptop previously connect to wifi networks ok?

dub45 wrote: »
    Did the laptop previously connect to wifi networks ok?

Yes it connect to my wifi Hotshot device fine for as long as I have had the hotshot (About little over a year, i think).

The last time I had problems with was when the O2 network was down. Quickly ruled that out as the problem this time when my tablet and phone could connect.

Don't think I have ever had the laptop on another wifi network. Was using the O2 dongle before I had the Hotshot device.

John

I am decorating the room, I normally use my laptop and broadband in. So I turned off my AV receiver. The AV sender is in the room next to where I am now using the Laptop and it is interfering with it. Just surprised it doesn't effect my tablet and phone.

When I turn of the AV sender, my laptop wireless works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They are disastrous for wifi networks as you have found out:( Used to be a much more common complaint on boards.

Advertisement