Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Anyone know what's happening around Dublin? Helicopters been flying around the last hour or so..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Anyone know what's happening around Dublin? Helicopters been flying around the last hour or so..

Was just wondering the same myself, one was hovering over Dame Street/Georges street area about 20 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They were out last night too. It could be lots of things that never make the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

The helicopter has been flying over the city centre at midnight for the past two nights.

Apparently on Monday night it had it's spotlight on over Collins barracks.

See Twitter searches...

garda helicopter near:"dublin"
    https://twitter.com/search?q=garda%20helicopter%20near%3A%22dublin%22&src=typd

searchlight near:"dublin"
    https://twitter.com/search?q=searchlight%20%20near%3A%22dublin%22&src=typd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know they use a helicopter to search for grow houses( people growing weed) as they can use infrared cameras to find them. It could have possibly been that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It could have been anything. From stolen cars, to a missing person search, to providing overhead images for a search warrant.

All pretty routine, rarely make the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It was out over Stoneybatter again last night. Is it definitely a Gardaì helicopter? I couldn't see any decals in the dark.

There's been a lot of filming in Stoneybatter and Collins Barracks lately. I don't mind if its the Gardaì going about their job, but I'll be a bit pissed if its an inconsiderate film crew. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Another one out where I live (off Collins Avenue), between 11 and 11:30pm

It seems to effect my broadband, otherwise I wouldn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Lux23 wrote: »
    It seems to effect my broadband, otherwise I wouldn't care.

I'd say thats a coincidence tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

2 army choppers over castleknock today then ballymun and portmarnock. Loads of Gard
    a activity in portmarnock. Anyone know what's going on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

dak wrote: »
    2 army choppers over castleknock today then ballymun and portmarnock. Loads of Gard
    a activity in portmarnock. Anyone know what's going on ?

To be honest I think its probably not the same ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

According to this http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/ecstasy-legal-for-one-night-only-31056269.html

Ecstasy is legal for one night only.

They're probably rounding up confused and befuddled TDs and returning them to their owners.

According to this http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/ecstasy-legal-for-one-night-only-31056269.html

Ecstasy is legal for one night only.

They're probably rounding up confused and befuddled TDs and returning them to their owners.

I locked the doors good and tight. I am imagining it being like the purge out there tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

jimmii wrote: »
    To be honest I think its probably not the same ones.

I have never seen 2 green coloured choppers flying side by side in Dublin until today. Not coast guard or Garda choppers. I would say it is very probable that they are the same ones in different parts of the city today

I have never seen 2 green coloured choppers flying side by side in Dublin until today. Not coast guard or Garda choppers. I would say it is very probable that they are the same ones in different parts of the city today

The other post was two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Spotted them yesterday around 3pm with the Garda one as well, they done a couple of laps around D15 then over the Phoenix park, Cabra, then over Finglas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Same around Drumcondra on Tuesday afternoon - looked like they were circling croke park.

Probably some sort of trainign exercise by the sounds of things.

..or the longest man hunt ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mint currency run or exercise from Sandyford to Airport. Happens every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anyone know what was going on this morning? Helicopter woke me up round 6:30am, didn't get up to see what it was but it sounded like it was flying pretty low and hovered around the area for about 10-15 mins. In the Kilmainham area.
    See in the news that a body was discovered in ballyfermot at the same time, but don't think it was anything to do with that

Would people be brought to St James by helicopter for treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

retalivity wrote: »
    Anyone know what was going on this morning? Helicopter woke me up round 6:30am, didn't get up to see what it was but it sounded like it was flying pretty low and hovered around the area for about 10-15 mins. In the Kilmainham area.
    See in the news that a body was discovered in ballyfermot at the same time, but don't think it was anything to do with that

From Irish Coastguard FB -

Doolin CG were called to a male at the base of the Cliffs of Mohir last night. Unable to recover due to the weather and so will attempt again this morning. In a complicated operation Shannon CG helicopter R115 went south to Killorglin GAA pitch and picked up a patient for heart transplant and transported them to a Dublin hospital. At the same time Dublin CG heli R116 went west to Galway University Hospital leaving at 0330 this morning and returning to land at Kilmainham LZ with the organs at 0700 (apologies for anyone who was woken up). We wish the patient well in his recovery and hope everyone carries a donor card to make such life saving operations possible if the worst should happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lux23 wrote: »
    Would people be brought to St James by helicopter for treatment?

they mighnt be landed directly in the hospital grounds but the hospitals may have a designated landing area close by if needed. maybe a local park, field or pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tallaght has a dedicated heli pad. Beaumont lands in the field to the south with Coastguard (Howth usually) cordoning off the area. Generally CG heli casualties are moved to those two. St James and St Vincents probably have off campus LZs as neris suggests. Blanch should also have plenty of room for campus LZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I live overlooking the grounds of Royal Kilmainham Hospital, and I have seen Helicopters and Ambulances rendevous there, several times. I'd say it's some sort of designated landing spot for St James.....

Advertisement