Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old photos from the Doxford workshop

• 24-07-2013 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Cylinderlinerbay.jpg

Photos of the Doxford workshop

I came across this link on another site I read a lot - The Garage Journal - and thought some of you might like them. It's a website dedicated to old ships called ships nostalgia

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Cheers for that quietsailor,
    Learnt about these but never sailed with them. Hope Peter Otter sees these photos in time!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

islanderre wrote: »
    Learnt about these but never sailed with them. Hope Peter Otter sees these photos in time!!!!!

[ot] Peter Otter, the soundest engineer I ever met ;) [/ot]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

islanderre wrote: »

I was lucky enough to sail on one with Bibbys, called the Lincolnshire, I never took a video of her running though which I'll always regret. It was hypnotising to watch them at slow speeds.

The Chief & 2nd used to have competitions to see how slow they could run her - 6 rpm was the slowest apparently - and you could actually hear the fuel spraying into the unit and then the combustion.

Bloody awful thing in the crankcase though, 6 units but 18 conrods to deal with. 1970's seal technology wasn't great either so we were constantly adjusting to stop leaks. A fun ship though for a while.

If you follow that link above I sailed on a few of the ships on that page, Oxfordshire, Cheshire (got made up to 3/E) Marinor, Stolt Durham. I left as they weren't using Irish\UK Juniors and moving instead to Indian/Croatian/Russian juniors :(

Advertisement