Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheaper IPHONES on way

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

They would have to limit functionality.

If there were 2 models, both with identical processors, camera, screen but one was half the price because it had a plastic case - I think I'd opt for the lower cost.

More likely, there will be some fundamental differences that make 'power users' opt for the pricier model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

hoodwinked wrote: »
    the problem with this move is anyone who disagrees is seen to be a fanboy who loves the exclusivity of high price apple products

There is nothing wrong with wanting a high-end high-spec device. It’s your money to spend on how you like. If anything this move could potentially take all the kids, etc. away from the expensive one making it more exclusive (I know a few parents that would be very happy)!!!
    hoodwinked wrote: »
    it just feels like this is a step in the wrong direction i guess, we will have to wait and see on the functionality but i get the feeling this is going to be more 'look at the pretty colours' gimmicky rather than a serious contender to the iphone.

If I had to guess I would say the “cheaper” iPhone functionally will be reduced in hardware (lower res screen, camera, plastic components, maybe slower chip or less ram) but I don’t think it will be crippled by any means... it is Apple after all. Just because a product has reduced specs from its bigger brother doesn’t mean that it still won’t out-shine a lot of others in the market. Also I highly doubt it will ever be a “serious contender to the iPhone”. I think it is more to fill existing market gaps which Apple currently is not it or are losing market shares of (younger kids, etc.). I think the plastic multi-coloured backs (if true) is a great idea. It is keeping a definite division in styling between the two products. I can’t see my boss pulling out his pink or lime green phone during a meeting!!!
    D_BEAR wrote: »
    The "cheap" iPhone will replace the 4 and 4s iphones so all iphones will have the same screen size I read on engadget. If this happens it should cost the same as an iphone 4 around €400.

Replacement or not, I hope it will be cheaper than that. I would love to see it at €250 - €300.
    Apple need to be able continue to innovate with the iPhone. But they are also under enormous pressure to lower the price. They can't do both.

I totally disagree with this. Innovation doesn’t have to mean high price, this is just something larger companies are feeding us. There are plenty of innovative devices around the world that don’t have a high price tag.

Apple is stalling innovation wise despite making how much money in the past few years!!! They are stalling as they have lost their way and have been too long at the top. The most innovation and hardest work is done by the people in the number 2 spot.
    To be honest the whole android -v- ios argument is tiresome and just plain ridiculous. Can people not be just happy with what they've bought if it works for them and not feel the need for clarification from some internet stranger to justify their purchase. I'm talking both sides of the argument here.

Some like the open nature of android some like the simplicity of ios. Each to their own. People calling others idiots for not making the same choice they did is so amazingly arrogant it's unreal.

Agree with you 100% on that, it’s such a personal choice. At least it is fun to watch people argue which is better. I think the core of what has been said in this thread is not Android v iOS but more will a “cheaper” iPhone create an iOS v iOS issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's to generate more revenue from India, China, etc.

Good move, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Can't see it being anywhere near €250. I doubt they will sell it cheaper than the opioid touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

guil wrote: »
    Can't see it being anywhere near €250. I doubt they will sell it cheaper than the opioid touch

Unfortunately neither can I... that’s why I said I would love to see it going for 250-300 :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

400 (the price of the current 4) seems likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

^^ Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

guil wrote:
    Can't see it being anywhere near €250. I doubt they will sell it cheaper than the ipod touch

iPod sales have fallen off a cliff in recent quarters (from Q3 Apple financial results), summarised that sales of the iPod line dropped 19 percent sequentially (since Q2 2013) and 32 percent year-over-year (compared to Q3 financial 2012).

Introducing the 5C, or whatever they may call it, would likely be the replacement for the iPod touch line.

It will also ensure that all current iPhones for sale have the same screen size and they can sell this as the entry level iPhone, missing some of the fancy parts of the top-range model (instead of having a low storage 4S as the basic one, which has the old 3.8'' screen size). For example, it may still use some of the older chipsets or internals from the iPhone 4s line - just to wring every last drop from those production lines.

The iPhone 5 will become the mid-level one and will have some bells and whistles that the iPhone 5c will not have, and the iPhone 5S will become the top level one with all the bells and whistles (such as the rumoured Fingerprint sensor in the Home button).

Going by previous Apple pricing models, it is probably more likely that
    • The 5c will come in between the €300-€400 (about $400-500) without contract / subsidy
    • The iPhone 5 will come in the €500-600 bracket, and
    • The iPhone 5s will be the premium handset (in the €600+ price range)

They'll hardly be going to the bargain phone market (such as the Lumia 520 - €99 PAYG - which incidentally is still a decent phone for that price), but probably taking aim at the mid-range phones like Lumia 820, HTC One Mini, Galaxy S4 mini.

Advertisement