Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rewiring telephone wires for voip

• 24-07-2013 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I have had a voip system for a while. I never fully tested all of the phone jacks to see that they all produce a dial tone with the voip system installed. I recently checked a few phone of my phone jacks and discovered that they do not produce a dial tone. I read about this online and found out that I need to rewire the wires in my telephone box so that I can create a closed circuit. I went a took a look at my telephone box and saw 3 or 4 loose wires not strands of wires but actual telephone wire. So now, I am confused as to which wires to I need to splice together? Do I just matched up all the colors and splice all of them accordingly together? I tried looking online but the sources I found did not go in depth into which color wires I needed to splice.

I would really appreciate an in-depth explanation, or a few good sources to look at. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you using an ATA? What devices are you using and what voip system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Habibrobert

I'm not really sure what ATA is. But my voip service is through comcast. I am using a cable modem that has voip capabilities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

So the cable modem has a phone jack at the back?

What is the model of the modem and do you have any pictures of it?

Its sort of hard to understand what the problem actually is.

Advertisement