Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours Kids Very Noisy

• 24-07-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I need some advice, myself and my OH are at our wits end. We live in semi detached house, have a toddler who goes to bed at 7/7.30 each evening as we have to get up at 6am each morning.

The neighbours on far side of us (not attached) have 4 young children. They are the noisest kids I have ever come across!! They are let into the back yard which is attached to our garden and directly below my childs room each evening usually around my childs bedtime and they continuously scream, cry, shout, bang non stop until 10.30/11 at night!!

One evening over the weekend, they had a member of the family using a chainsaw at 9pm in the back yard which really annoyed us. Last night her sister arrives at 9pm with 3 more kids so 7/8 kids were outside until 10.25pm!

I was in bed and had to ask them to please keep the noise down but i was ignored! In this good weather we couldn't leave our childs window opened at night because of the noise.

I spoke to the mother before just generally and mentioned that my child goes to bed at 7pm so she is aware of this.

I don't want to fall out with my neighbours but it is coming to the stage now whereas our quality of life in our own home is being affected. I wanted to approach her and maybe try and make an arrangment that the kids are put out front from 8.30/9 each evening to limit the noise, is this reasonable?

I understand that the kids want to play but the noise off them is outrageous and I really need to say something about it, am I within my rights to do this or have I a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was adults or it involved playing loud music then you might have some remedy via the local council but I doubt if you can do anything about noisy children.

Pray for rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

You've pretty much covered off all the options.

1) Approach them nicely.

2) Start acting the maggot yourself and it possibly escalating.

I'm afraid I'm the type of person that would chose option 2 if option 1 didn't work and start mowing my lawn at 5am.

You mentioned you're up at 6am, is it possible you're disturbing them and they've gone straight to option 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Could you move the child to the front of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc81

Thanks for the advice!

We are up at 6am but stay indoors and are respectful of other neighbours when leaving for work, we dont get home until after 5 ish and are indoors all evening so in fairness we are the perfect neighbours. I was always conscious of them with their kids even before we had ours and we never had any parties or been loud outdoors so they have no reason to complain.

They also have a pet horse that they bring to their house at times and it is left wander around the back yard or let out onto the estate and tied to a tree!! I came outside one day to find it tied onto my garden fence and chewing away at it!! (but this is another story!!)

We can't move child into a different room unfortunately but we shouldn't have to make changes as we are doing nothing wrong! We had to walk the floors from 9.30 - 1 am with baby the other night as the noise off had woke her.

I'd like to think talking to them nicely would solve this situation but I have a bad feeling it could end in a fallout and I just want to know is there any other avenue available to me if this does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mc81 wrote: »
    They also have a pet horse that they bring to their house at times and it is left wander around the back yard or let out onto the estate and tied to a tree!! I came outside one day to find it tied onto my garden fence and chewing away at it!! (but this is another story!!)
    Council horse warden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

mc81 wrote: »

We can't move child into a different room unfortunately but we shouldn't have to make changes as we are doing nothing wrong! We had to walk the floors from 9.30 - 1 am with baby the other night as the noise off had woke her.

I'd like to think talking to them nicely would solve this situation but I have a bad feeling it could end in a fallout
    ah missus, they're bringing livestock into their back yard and having it graze the common area of the estate. I think it's gone beyond the point of 'not wanting to make a fuss'...! Someone needs to have a word with them, if you don't feel comfortable doing it you could even go so far as having the local authority pay a visit.

Is your neighbour's house a local authority house?

This property is at the rear of your property. I assume there are at least two more, maybe four more properties who are potentially affected. Has anyone else noticed the noise levels/ the horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc81

ah missus, they're bringing livestock into their back yard and having it graze the common area of the estate. I think it's gone beyond the point of 'not wanting to make a fuss'...! Someone needs to have a word with them, if you don't feel comfortable doing it you could even go so far as having the local authority pay a visit.

Is your neighbour's house a local authority house?

This property is at the rear of your property. I assume there are at least two more, maybe four more properties who are potentially affected. Has anyone else noticed the noise levels/ the horse?

No they are all privately owned houses, they are good friends with the house attached to them and they dont have kids so i dont think they bother and the house other side off me are hardly there and when they are they make enough noise too but at least its indoors so i can live with that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Well you can still get your local authority involved; it doesn't have to be made known to the neighbours that the complaint came from you.

However, from the sounds of it, there is no meaningful friendship to salvage, and they are to the rear of your dwelling, so there should be no awkward door-step moments. I can't see how they've gotten away with this so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

As they stay up late they obviously sleep until late morning, I was going to say make a lot of noise morning time when they are sleeping, but on relfection that is not a good idea as it would affect your other neighbour and they would not be too happy about that and you would have to deal with them as well.

I would go to your local council offices and have a chat with them. They'd know the best way to proceed and could advise you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement