Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extract Brewing - Small Pots

Options
  • 24-07-2013 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

I've been getting into extract brewing, but the only pots that I have are about 4L, so I've only been able to do small scale brews. I did get a big 18L stockpot on the cheap but it's not magnetic enough to work on induction hobs. So, that means I can't do big boils for a 20-23L brew.

What I was thinking of doing was steeping the grains in one of the pots, and then draining that water into another pot, adding the hops and bringing it to a boil. Then, after boiling for an hour/hour and a half, putting that into the fermenter and adding the 3KG of DME, stirring it well, topping up the 20/23L and carrying on as normal from there.

Would that work or would you need to boil all the DME with the hops and the grain water?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I would say you'd need to boil at least a portion of the DME to get decent hop utilisation. You also need to add the hops during the boil to get flavour and aroma.

I don't think 20L batches in a 4L pot is going to fly. Get a bigger pot or make smaller batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

BeerNut wrote: »
    I would say you'd need to boil at least a portion of the DME to get decent hop utilisation.

I could always boil a kilo of it in the pot, and add the rest into the fermenter, later. Or else boil 8L split into two pots, using up most of the DME, and then adding the rest after.

I have heard people giving themselves too much work by having the wort spread out over multiple pots, but I think just two pots, and the fact that I'll have a buddy helping out, will mean it'll be manageable.
    You also need to add the hops during the boil to get flavour and aroma.

Oh yeah, of course, I know that alright. Worded it a bit poorly, making it look like I was going to have all the hops boiled for an hour/hour and a half.
    I don't think 20L batches in a 4L pot is going to fly. Get a bigger pot or make smaller batches.

I don't think it's ideal either, but do you think it's doable? Or do you think it'd just lead to well under par beer, making the extra effort compared to kit brewing pointless?

Unfortunately, the cost of large induction pots are too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

What is your budget? Shop around and use ebay. Amazon reviews are pretty good too. I remember laughing out loud when I saw that half the reviews for 30-40L Manual fill catering kettles were all for their beer brewing capability.

I know guys who use 19L induction stock pots, on 2.5 Kw induction plates for both extract and all grain brewing.

The most expensive brewing gear I have is my boiler, its hard to get away from the expense, but you already have the induction plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

if you have an 18L pot that would work on gas how about get a camping gas ring ? aldi do them sometimes....or argos. maybe not enough power though..try adverts or dondeal etc

You might also try putting the the stock pot on the regular hob?

All you need is a rolling boil. I could get it with the 9L stock pot on our hob when I did mini-BIAB.

• Advertisement

do you think it's doable?
    Ah yeah: it'll still be beer at the end.
    I paid €18 for a 19L one in Living Island on Talbot Street a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I got one in there a couple of months ago, decent quality and quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Thanks lads. I went ahead and did an amber ale, splitting it into two pots for a 90 minute boil using about 500g of grain and 1kg of the malt in each (and half the hops, of course). I also boiled up the remaining malt for about about 10-15 minutes, just to sanitise it. Looks fine, anyway, and is fermenting away. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

sharingan wrote: »
    What is your budget? Shop around and use ebay. Amazon reviews are pretty good too. I remember laughing out loud when I saw that half the reviews for 30-40L Manual fill catering kettles were all for their beer brewing capability.

I know guys who use 19L induction stock pots, on 2.5 Kw induction plates for both extract and all grain brewing.

The most expensive brewing gear I have is my boiler, its hard to get away from the expense, but you already have the induction plate.

Not much above €30. I realise that generally equipment tends to be more expensive like that, but I've just been hoping that I'd get a pot on the cheap. If I had a gas cooker, I'd be flying, as many second hand large pots have been within this price range.
    if you have an 18L pot that would work on gas how about get a camping gas ring ? aldi do them sometimes....or argos. maybe not enough power though..try adverts or dondeal etc

That's a good idea, thanks. I was looking at getting a portable, plug in electric ring, but the gas ones seem to be a bit cheaper. Thanks.
    sharingan wrote: »
    You might also try putting the the stock pot on the regular hob?

All you need is a rolling boil. I could get it with the 9L stock pot on our hob when I did mini-BIAB.

I don't have a regular hob, unfortunately. If I did, I'd be flying.
    Ah yeah: it'll still be beer at the end.

matrim wrote: »
    I got one in there a couple of months ago, decent quality and quite cheap.

Really? €18 for an induction-friendly pot that size? The prices I've seen for much smaller induction pots have been about double that. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind next time I'm in Dublin.

Really? €18 for an induction-friendly pot that size?
    Really really. I didn't buy it as an "induction pot" and it wasn't advertised as such, but I use it regularly on an induction hob and it works great.

Not much above €30. I realise that generally equipment tends to be more expensive like that, but I've just been hoping that I'd get a pot on the cheap.

Try second hand/ebay etc.

Also not that large stock pots can be very missus friendly. If you dont mind your brew pot being used for the odd roast, soup or chilli ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why the 90 min boil?
    An hour is probably good enough

Advertisement