Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Cork airport

Options
  • 24-07-2013 9:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've searched the site here and can't find any info, so I thought I'd just start a new thread and ask for advice.

Myself and my partner are hitting the emigration trail with our two boys in a few weeks and we need to get to Cork airport for 12.30 to catch our flight. We have three checked-in bags, three carry-on bags, a guitar, a buggy, and a travel cot. Including the four of us and one other family member, this is too much for one car.

I've checked the Bus Eireann website and it looks like there's nothing that would get us to the airport in Cork for 12.30.

Does anyone know of any other bus service that might go to Cork, similar to Kavanaghs going to Dublin? Or do you have any other ideas how we might get our kit-and-kaboodell to Cork?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork airport isn't very far from the centre of Cork.

I would just get a taxi. Shouldn't cost you a huge amount really and it would be much more straight forward.

There is a taxi rank at the bus station and at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sorry to hear another one go. I hope it works out well for you.

It is not the answer you are looking for but I presume you are aware you will not be able to bring the guitar and travel cot on board without prior arrangements with the airline? I only say this because you mention checked-in luggage and carry-on bags. They are no problem, as is the buggy (although I seem to recall having to pay Aer Lingus for a buggy too).I would very much doubt they will allow the guitar and certainly not a travel cot to go on board as further hand-luggage.

Edit: PS If I was emigrating I would ask a family member or friend to drive a second car down. Is this not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

AFAIK, there is a bus service from Cork Bus Station out to the Airport every 25/30 minutes.

Here's the timetable for the 226 bus route.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1371825540-226.pdf
    (FYI, The bus station is at Parnell Place)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies.

We've booked in the travel cot and guitar with the other checked-in bags - sorry, I should have said that too. (I listed them separately just to say we had a fair bit of luggage)

Looks like we've two options:

(1) Get an early bus into Cork and then get a connection out to the airport

(2) Try to get two family members/friends to drive us down between them (the plan had been to say our good-byes at home, rather than the airport)

Thanks again for the replies folks.

Has anyone ever used any of those private minibus-type taxis, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

An eight seater minibus taxi would cost you circa €170 from waterford to cork airport. While this is not cheap it is probably your best bet considering that you want to bring a lot of luggage and kids, transferring form bus to bus and waiting in bus queues would be horrible,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 xirivella

Hi, I had had to get to Cork airport for 12:30 myself a couple of weeks ago.
    We got the 8 o'clock bus (Bus Eireann) to cork from the bus station on the Quay.
    This got us to the bus station in Cork at 10:15 (Parnell Place), there was a bus leaving the bus station to the airport at 10:40 and was €5 per person.
    We decided to taxi a taxi which are right beside the bus station and this got us to the airport in about 15 minutes and cost €14:70 (there was 3 of us so the bus would of cost €15).
    If you get the bus to Cork and then 2 taxi's to the airport you will be all set.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

As an aside, not sure about temperatures and humidity in the hold of an aircraft these days but it is still advisable to seriously loosen the strings of the guitar and even pack the case with newspaper to capture humidity. This is especially so if it's an acoustic. The danger was there that you'd end up with a warped neck on arrival. But, it's been 20 years since I flew with guitars so maybe hold conditions have improved.

Thanks again for the replies.

Re guitar in hold and humidity: I forgot to loosen the strings once before and paid the price! Could have been worse though - it was "only" a back-up guitar and the tension caused a slight split on the side of the head.

Didn't know about the newspaper in the case though - I'll do that as well. The guitar is one part of our income-generating stream so it'd be hassle trying to get it fixed if it gets damaged, or worse having to buy a replacement.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

If you have a driver travelling with you would you consider hiring a people carrier, should nt cost more that 100 euro for 24 hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

If I were you I would consider hiring a car for a day, picking up in Waterford and returning at Cork Airport. Most rent-a-car companies make it possible to return cars at airports.

Renting a reasonable car for a day would cost you no more than €80, maybe even less if you book it early, and it gives you total independence of timetables and other prople's plans. Not to mention the comfort of travel directly from your home to the airport, without taxis and need to move luggages from one means of transport to another.

• Advertisement

I hadn't thought of hiring a car/seven-seater, but that's an option too - thanks.

I'll check out the price and logistics of picking up in Waterford and dropping off at the airport in Cork.

We're also looking at loading up the luggage on a "soft" roof rack on my car and getting a family member (my Mammy) to drive down and then take the car back with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hiring a car might be your best option tbh.
    Just book a few days ahead to make sure you get the correct type of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I hadn't thought of hiring a car/seven-seater, but that's an option too - thanks.

I'll check out the price and logistics of picking up in Waterford and dropping off at the airport in Cork.

We're also looking at loading up the luggage on a "soft" roof rack on my car and getting a family member (my Mammy) to drive down and then take the car back with her.

Best of luck on the move. Go n-eiri an mbothar libh!

Advertisement