Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Pink Floyd.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Green Floyd playing Tallaght Civic Theatre on Sat 30 Jan.
    Have seen them before, nice bunch of lads with a decent sound, worth the 18 euro to put the x-mass behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

David Gilmour - Wider Horizons BBC2 at 9:45 tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pyrbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sarah Hogan

Echoes is my favorite Pink Floyd song... In particular the live at Pompeii version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

"I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it." :)

• Advertisement

For All You Pink Floyd Vinyl Lovers. .. :)

It doesn't say if they will be using the original master tapes or a secondary source.

From Pink Floyd's own site..

THE COMPLETE PINK FLOYD CATALOGUE TO BE AVAILABLE ON VINYL
    On Friday 3rd June 2016, Pink Floyd Records will begin the reintroduction of the Pink Floyd catalogue on vinyl for the first time in over two decades. The first four records will be The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, the soundtrack from the film More, and the 2-LP set Ummagumma. Pink Floyd Records will reproduce the vinyl catalogue throughout the year with release dates being announced at regular intervals. In the meantime, all Pink Floyd records are now available on CD, digital and most streaming platforms.

Special care has been taken to replicate the original packaging. The first batch of releases, mastered by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman will be pressed on 180gram vinyl for optimum sound quality.

Pink Floyd Records releases will be manufactured and distributed by Warner Music for the UK and Europe and by Sony Music for North America and the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

K.Flyer wrote: »

It doesn't say if they will be using the original master tapes or a secondary source.

THE COMPLETE PINK FLOYD CATALOGUE TO BE AVAILABLE ON VINYL

No doubt they will be pricey - most of the vinyl I've seen recently has been around the €25 mark.

Far cry from a few years ago when you could see bins of anything you wanted stacked up for €2.99 etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ThrillCosby

Nice

Special care has been taken to replicate the original packaging. 

I wonder will they fully replicate the flip back glossy covers and inner sleeves of PATGOD and SFOS, and will DSofTM have a solid triangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Was quite impressed until I seen the Endless River one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I want an Atom Heart Mother one! Wouldn't use it though. And couldn't of course.

This IS Truly Awesome News For Pink Floyd Fans!

Although I have a copy of almost every early bootleg recording, I have longed for the day that some of these tracks would officially see the light of day.

Shine freak'in On!

Pink Floyd the Early Years 1965 - 1972
    Pink Floyd will debut previously unreleased tracks as part of a giant box set that explores the experimental rock legends' foundations.
    The Early Years - 1965-1972 goes on sale November 11 is a comprehensive 27-disc boxset that sees Pink Floyd delve into their vast music archive to produce a deluxe package that includes 7 individual book-style volumes, featuring much previously unreleased material. The Early Years box set contains unreleased tracks, BBC Radio Sessions, remixes, outtakes and alternative versions over an incredible 11 hours, 45 mins of audio (made up of 130+ tracks) and live and TV performance in over 14 hours of audio-visual material. The content includes over 20 unreleased songs, more than 7 hours of previously unreleased live audio and over 5 hours of rare concert footage, along with 5 meticulously produced 7” singles in replica sleeves, collectable memorabilia, feature films and new sound mixes. Previously unreleased tracks include 1967’s Vegetable Man and In The Beechwoods, which have been mixed for the first time, specially for this release.

The Early Years 1965-1972 will give collectors the opportunity to hear the evolution of the band and witness their part in cultural revolutions from their earliest recordings and studio sessions to the years prior to the release of The Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the biggest selling albums of all time. From the single Arnold Layne to the 20-minute epic Echoes, fans will see the invention of psychedelic progressive rock via an insightful collection that explores the Pink Floyd story from the time Roger Waters, Richard Wright, Nick Mason and Syd Barrett met at London’s Regent Street Polytechnic, through to Syd’s departure and David Gilmour joining to form the iconic line-up.

The box set - which also includes seven accompanying books, of which six will go on sale separately in 2017 - does not cover the peak of Pink Floyd's fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Echoes is my favorite Pink Floyd song... In particular the live at Pompeii version.

Been asked this question a million times - my favourite track. So hard to choose. But I love 2 tracks, both of which I have never heard on any radio station:

1) Poles Apart from The Division Bell &
    2) One of These Days on the PULSE album

So happy to have seen it performed live in Wroclaw last month!

The boxset looks amazing, but at over €400, it's a spicy meatball. Pity the 2-CD version won't have all the key unreleased stuff. I guess I'm going to have to fork out for the whole thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Went to see David Gilmour last Friday at the Albert Hall.
    I last saw him live with Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 1980 performing The Wall.
    The gig was the best I have ever seen in nearly 40 years of gig going. This man just seems to get better with age.
    Sound was spot on and every song performed with typical precision and a lot of enthusiasm.
    To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement. I was simply blown away. The audience was similarly enthusiastic and the atmosphere was magic.
    If he tours again, make the effort, as Pink Floyd fans you won't be disappointed, just amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Excollier, I was at that show too and agree with everything you said.

I travelled over last year to one of the Royal Albert Hall shows and it was such a great experience, I jumped at the chance to go again.

The crowd were great on Friday. They completely lost their **** during the solo to Fat Old Sun.

It was also interesting to see "Run Like Hell" as an unofficial cue for those on the floor to abandon their seats and rush to the front of the stage.

As always with the Pink Floyd boys, the visuals were first class, the sound was crystal clear and loud as f@#k.

I've got photos of the gig, I must try and get them up here.

If Gilmour tours again, an Irish promoter has got to throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to play Ireland.

poundhound wrote: »
    If Gilmour tours again, an Irish promoter has got to throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to play Ireland.

He would sell out the 3 Arena in seconds.

Were you at the show that Benedict Cumberbatch appeared at? Just wondering how that went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Nothing became of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re: "
    Quote:"Were you at the show that Benedict Cumberbatch appeared at? Just wondering how that went down."

No, he appeared on the wednesday night show, I went on the friday.
    The youtube footage shows him doing a decent job.

Roger bringing a new show to the USA next year.

http://www.roger-waters.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

here's a neat trick. I had always wondered how this was done (Pink Floyd - Echoes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6VknOg0qjU

Roger in the studio recording new songs, according to his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/rogerwaters/

As most of you know, Pink Floyd have released their colossus of a box set, The Early Years 1965 - 1972, containing many hours of audio and video material as well as replica vinyl singles and replica memorabilia.
    Amazon asking prices are now starting at £300.00 (going up to £700.00).
    Anyways, I found this on Yootoob, which gives an insight of what's inside the big black box (representing their old Bedford van).
    Best of all on the video is the very enjoyable chat with Nick Mason, who looks back over the years and how they made some of the decisions piecing together the box set.
    Unveiling The early Years, with Nick Mason

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sonas55

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Anybody like any of the barrett solo stuff? Although a lot of it is raw and somewhat unfinished songs like gigolo aunt and dominoes are imo truly great.
    But I hover between piper and animals as my favorite Floyd album depending on my mood, but they are all excellent in there own way
    i do! it's really so cool and has everything i like. the songs are in a way ethereal and weird and captivating. i like his solo music best than anyone's of Pink Floyd

Amazon asking prices are now starting at £300.00 (going up to £700.00).

The boxset has now been broken up into six individual packages, at more affordable prices. Some of them are 1 CD / 1 DVD sets, others are 2 CD / 2 DVD.

http://the-early-years.pinkfloyd.com/

From the looks of it, the 65-67 set looks like being a good purchase, as well as the '69 set (as it features "The Man / The Journey" in full).

1970 would be worth getting for the Zabriske Point stuff, and that BBC radio session is really good too.

The '71 and '72 don't look that great, unless you want a CD version of the Pompeii concert, which is worth getting - but probably available online easily enough.

Roger's new album has a title. Hopefully we will see him sometime in 2018 in Europe.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-02-16/roger-waters-names-forthcoming-solo-album

rednik wrote: »
    Roger's new album has a title. Hopefully we will see him sometime in 2018 in Europe.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-02-16/roger-waters-names-forthcoming-solo-album

The clip sounds nice. The production is by Nigel Godrich so at least it's going to sound good.

• Advertisement

May 19th release date of Roger's album.

Advertisement