Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hormones in Chicken

Options
  • 24-07-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I can't seem to find an answer online about Irish chicken..
    Does Irish bought chicken have hormones in it?

I'm broke at the moment so can't buy organic..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Melendez is so right. Most consumers look at the 5 for €5 OR 10 for €8.99 deals on imported fillets and think they are getting a great deal. It couldn't be further from the truth. These chicken fillets are quite often sourced in Brazil, Thailand or Eastern Eruope and brought frozen to Clearing Houses in Germany & Holland to be pumped with 10-12% water & stabilisers. Only to be sold on the distributors in Ireland and sold as fresh. WHAT A CON JOB !!!

Twomeys Butchers bone all their Chicken fillets fresh sourcing from Shannonvale in West Cork. These are Hormone & Antibiotic FREE.

Moynihans in the English Market & Bresnans in Douglas follow the same path, boning only whole chickens fresh daily for really superb quality fillets, legs & wings.

If you compare the PER KILO price to even the likes of TESCO, these Butchers are the same if not cheaper. But it is the consumers obsession with half price this & 3 for 2 on that, that blinds them to the reality of the price they often pay...never mind the lack of Quality behind these deals.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I find this a little confusing.

Holland probably exports more chicken than any other country in Europe. Their facilities and standards of care are absolutely second to none.

What makes people think that Irish chicken is processed to a higher standard than this? Chickens are extensively farmed in both countries so there is no difference in the raw product. I do know that Irish butchers are sourcing a huge amount of their chicken fillets from the Netherlands simply because we dont have the scale here in Ireland. For the amounts of chicken fillets that are needed for the population, we couldnt even get close with our own farms. Remember, for every two fillets, you have legs, thighs, wings etc. The main problem in Ireland is that the processors cannot shift the rest of the bird therefore it becomes uneconomical to supply to the Irish market in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

For me, the reason I prefer to buy Irish chicken is to support local farmers and butchers. The butcher I shop in (Bresnan's in Douglas) sources all their meat, including their chicken, from within County Cork. The chickens arrive whole into their shop and are processed in store.

So in a nutshell, I like the fact that I'm buying chicken that was reared on a farm not too far from where I live and cut up in front of me by a real butcher who knows his craft. It feels a lot better than buying a chicken fillet wrapped in plastic that came from a factory in another country. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I'm trying to cut back on my meat consumption anyway but for the near future, I'm going to buy one organic whole chicken every one/two weeks and literally try to use every last bit of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement