Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exercising with a broken wrist

• 24-07-2013 11:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I broke my right wrist (I'm left handed). It's in a provisional cast until I go back to fracture clinic next week but I know for sure it is broken.

The thought of not being able to exercise for 6-8 weeks is freaking me out.

My training usually involved around 40km of runs per week (over 3 sessions) and three gym circuit sessions.

Is there anyway around this?even using a turbo trainer will cause the cast to sweat and stink.

Are there special casts that athletes can have fitted that are less prone to sweating and hence smelling?

I'd be happy enough just being able to stick to running/turbo training and sit ups but I can't have a smelly cast due to my line of work.

Anyone have any personal experience of this?#

THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

they make hard fiberglass ones which are waterproof I think.

But unfortunately all casts smell.

When I broke my hand after 3 or four weeks the cast (plaster one) was near dissolved. wrist was still sore and they just put on a fresh one, but the stink from under it is rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

you can ask for a removable splint but they are more expensive and less supportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

they make hard fiberglass ones which are waterproof I think.

But unfortunately all casts smell.

When I broke my hand after 3 or four weeks the cast (plaster one) was near dissolved. wrist was still sore and they just put on a fresh one, but the stink from under it is rank.

The piece in bold is true, but even a fibreglass cast needs to have the correct liner to be be really usable in a waterproof manner. I broke my wrist a couple of years ago, and was put in a fibreglass cast with a kind of plastic wool (as opposed to the traditional cottony liner this is the best I can describe it) liner, and this allowed me to shower with it, and the water run out pretty easily, all of which meant that it didn't really smell in the same way as a (fibreglass also, but with the traditional liner) cast I had when I was younger did. The liner might be slightly itchier, but it was definitely an improvement on the old ones in terms of convenience.

Advertisement