Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray tan in first trimester!

Options
  • 24-07-2013 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Freaking out a little bit. I thought some fake tans were safe during pregnancy but after reading to stay away from spray tans due to the possibility of inhaling some of the products.

Im 6 weeks now. I had a spray tan the day before I found out I was pregnant (about 3 weeks ago) and another the week after... Coz I was going on holidays. Feel sooo stupid now and worrying like mad! I prob wouldn't be as worried if I was further along in my pregnancy but ive read to def stay away from it in the first trimester. I won't be using any for the rest of my pregnancy.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Gonna ask my obs but don't have appt for another 2 weeks yet. Just looking for some reassurance if anything..... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Most people don't know they are pregnant for the first few weeks and might have been drinking , smoking , eating food that should be avoided in pregnancy or taking medication that's not safe. Unless people are actively trying to become pregnant these things Will happen i wouldn't worry about it as it was only twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ameee wrote: »
    Most people don't know they are pregnant for the first few weeks and might have been drinking , smoking , eating food that should be avoided in pregnancy or taking medication that's not safe. Unless people are actively trying to become pregnant these things Will happen i wouldn't worry about it as it was only twice.

Ye we were actively trying to get pregnant which is why I feel so stupid! Had previously read some fake tans were safe during pregnany... Didn't realise they weren't referring to spray tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I honestly wouldn't worry - I would imagine the amount you could possibly inhale would be minimal. Unless you got ronseal coated and had an hour worth of spraying I doubt very much it would have had any effects. If you had inhaled that much you would have felt it yourself. So stop beating yourself up about it and relax. You stressing will be much more detrimental to you and baby than any spray tan could be, I would imagine!

Congrats on the good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Try not to worry, I'm sure there's millions of babies born perfectly healthy to women who did a lot worse in the first weeks before they knew they were pregnant. I went to Amsterdam in February, I got quite drunk one of the nights and smoked half a joint in a coffee shop; I later found out that I would have conceived about a week earlier. I didn't know, and there's nothing I can do about it now - baby is perfectly fine so far. Just continue on the right way - in the early days, the baby is a bunch of cells that feeds off its own yolk sac, so outside influences on your body shouldn't affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

God when I think if the amount of ronseal coated chungwans you see standing outside the Rotunda and Holles street, I am pretty confident that one spray tan won't do any harm!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

nikpmup wrote: »
    in the early days, the baby is a bunch of cells that feeds off its own yolk sac, so outside influences on your body shouldn't affect it.

Whereas I'm sure the OP is absolutely fine, I don't think thats a very responsible statement for you to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm just repeating what I read on several medical texts that I looked up when I became pregnant, and what the GP's of two women I personally know told them when they were worried about drinking/smoking/partying in the early days of pregnancy. I'm in no way advocating that women should behave irresponsibly, and anybody who knows me will tell you I'm militantly against women doing anything to risk their pregnancy, I won't even chance a coffee. However, many, many women do things in their early days of pregnancy that they wouldn't do once they know they are pregnant, and their babies are unaffected.

Advertisement