Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring on light switch gone funny

Options
  • 24-07-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

So we have a kitchen and a utility room.

Builder was in and moved the light switch (two switches to two seperate lights) in the kitchen. He claims he didnt alter the wiring.

Now, the utility room lights will only come on, if the kitchen light switch is also on.

No use to me, my PIR garden light only works if the kitchen lights are left on all night...

So, whats he done? Is this an easy fix? Our house has old grey wriring, so no simple blue/brown/red etc.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Feeds and switch wires mixed up in the switch, an electrician will be able to sort this out fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

So we have a kitchen and a utility room.

Builder was in and moved the light switch (two switches to two seperate lights) in the kitchen. He claims he didnt alter the wiring.

Now, the utility room lights will only come on, if the kitchen light switch is also on.

No use to me, my PIR garden light only works if the kitchen lights are left on all night...

So, whats he done? Is this an easy fix? Our house has old grey wriring, so no simple blue/brown/red etc.

Thanks,

Probably has switch wire in common or similar small job for sparks .... Danger for novice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

maxfresh wrote: »
    Feeds and switch wires mixed up in the switch, an electrician will be able to sort this out fairly quickly

+1

As a rule it is best to get electricians to do electrical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Thanks all.

Advertisement