Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Next Gen game prices

• 24-07-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone notice the price point they're going with for these games..€64.97

RRP US is $59.99 UK is £49.99

Doesn't quite add up.

Was hoping to pre-order a couple games and a console but may look elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

VAT, import duty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Amazon are selling games at 54.99, but they do have a price guarantee when you pre-order stuff from them, so the price may go down lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

kensutz wrote: »
    VAT, import duty etc.

Why would they be any different to current gen games?

It just seems like they added X amount onto the rrp with vat and other duties already taken into account. I may be wrong but that's the impression I'm getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Its called a place holder. Games wont actually be that price, its just Gamestop covering their ass on preorders as nobody actually knows the real price yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I will have no bother importing if the retailers over here are taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

it's gamestop i'm surprised they are that cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am surprised they selling next gen consoles for RRP! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thats the online price, prices in store are almost always €5 more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

lertsnim wrote: »
    I will have no bother importing if the retailers over here are taking the piss.

same here, because they will! I gave up on Gamestop long ago

But then you'll get the same crap when HMV closed down: "piracy and buying online caused the loss of jobs blah blah". Here's an idea, be competitive and we will buy from your store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

65 is quite cheap
    give it half a year they will be back to 55

least their not 75 or 80 quid :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    65 is quite cheap
    give it half a year they will be back to 55

least their not 75 or 80 quid :L

They can **** off with their €55, games were mostly €45 and the odd €50 but as soon as competition fell off with Game (not competition in terms of price) and HMV they all increased their prices.

I ordered the PS4 and Killzone off Gamestop.ie, I'll be ordering another game or 2 off amazon before launch and it'll show up around the time I want something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I haven't bought a game in a Gamestop store in the last five years I'd say. They are consistently more expensive than the competition in both the retail and online space.

EyeSight wrote: »

But then you'll get the same crap when HMV closed down: "piracy and buying online caused the loss of jobs blah blah". Here's an idea, be competitive and we will buy from your store.

That's why those places closed - being competitive.
    I think you're barking at the wrong tree m8. Retailers are all given RRP prices. Current gen games should be 60eu. All retailers were at pricewar. Prices went so low that they barely making any profit. Us, consumers got used to it. So retailers closed down because they were losing money by selling to cheap.
    EA already announced that they will be charging more for their games on next gen already. It's publishers who choking retailers. Publisher will still get their cut from rrp. Retailers already in tough spot. gamestop imcluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Get most of my games either from Amazon for rarer ones like the Tales series and they only end up being about 35-40 Euro or Ebay, Game and Zavvi for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Varik wrote: »
    They can **** off with their €55, games were mostly €45 and the odd €50 but as soon as competition fell off with Game (not competition in terms of price) and HMV they all increased their prices.

I ordered the PS4 and Killzone off Gamestop.ie, I'll be ordering another game or 2 off amazon before launch and it'll show up around the time I want something new.

you blame retailers such as Gamestop for having high prices
    but you dont really know why they have such prices

when hmv and other stores were open, their was big competition with prices for games

gamestop was barly making any money on new games
    since hmv closed as well as others before it they began rising their prices abit more so they can get more profitable price at which they could continue to do business in the future

its not gamestop setting the prices so high
    theirs so many other reasons for the game prices being set so high, and still to this day gamestop are barly making profit, their only profit is from pre owned games now, they got lucky with the xbox doing a 180 or they would be really f*cked for the future

search gamesnash pats posts from the past, i remember him explaining very well why game prices are the prices they are today

but heck if you dont like the retail prices dont buy from them, theirs plenty of deals to be head from buying online :) i myself buy from littlewoodsireland on a regular bases, only when they have sales on though, the game ends up being normaly cheaper then the retail version

That's why those places closed - being competitive.
    I think you're barking at the wrong tree m8. Retailers are all given RRP prices. Current gen games should be 60eu. All retailers were at pricewar. Prices went so low that they barely making any profit. Us, consumers got used to it. So retailers closed down because they were losing money by selling to cheap.
    EA already announced that they will be charging more for their games on next gen already. It's publishers who choking retailers. Publisher will still get their cut from rrp. Retailers already in tough spot. gamestop imcluded.

If you want consumers to buy your products you need to have prices lower\similar to your rivals. Don't blame the consumer for wanting to buy a game at a 10-15 euro saving.
    All these excuses they give are pointless. This is business, the market changes and you adapt

If you want consumers to buy your products you need to have prices lower\similar to your rivals. Don't blame the consumer for wanting to buy a game at a 10-15 euro saving.
    All these excuses they give are pointless. This is business, the market changes and you adapt

You dont really understand how ecomimics work, dont you. Why should I sell you an item on which i LOSE money? I have to sell it for profit, not to make you a favour. You need to learn about basics first, before going on rampage of " I AM THE CONSUMER, I AM THE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD".

Gamestop did adopt. They started second hand games. New games were bringing no profit, so thats why they pushed used games so much. Even now publishers ( who have a HUGE part to be blamed for in what video game industry state is at now )are moaning and bitching about second hand game industry and how they dont see profits from it. Publishers themselves put gamestop in such position by completely refusing to lower RRP prices and their cuts.

You dont really understand how ecomimics work, dont you. Why should I sell you an item on which i LOSE money? I have to sell it for profit, not to make you a favour. You need to learn about basics first, before going on rampage of " I AM THE CONSUMER, I AM THE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD".

Gamestop did adopt. They started second hand games. New games were bringing no profit, so thats why they pushed used games so much. Even now publishers ( who have a HUGE part to be blamed for in what video game industry state is at now )are moaning and bitching about second hand game industry and how they dont see profits from it. Publishers themselves put gamestop in such position by completely refusing to lower RRP prices and their cuts.

i do understand. But these are all businesses, not charities. I hate lately how some company's try to get sympathy and guilt people for shopping cheaper online. Customers will usually go with the cheapest.
    If their competitors are selling for much cheaper then they haven't adapted enough. Selling second hand brings a lot of business, it was good idea. They are not losing money on games.
    However they have not done much to challenge online retailers. Their online store is over priced.
    Also even their used games are way overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I wonder will they (MS and Sony) boost the price of DLC as well? Its expensive as it is but if I play a game such as a fighting game, BF or COD then I always end up getting the DLC. Its definitely expensive as it is. If it goes up any more then I am not buying it (who am I fooling :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Why would they be any different to current gen games?

It just seems like they added X amount onto the rrp with vat and other duties already taken into account. I may be wrong but that's the impression I'm getting.

American prices don't include taxes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

HMV didn't close down because they weren't competitive. They were great value for the consumer in B&M in this country for the last couple of years, if you weren't stung with buying gift cards. A lot of their issue which caused them to be closed down was an overwhelming debt they couldn't manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GameStop are smart bastards, they are the recommended retailer in rrp for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, we all know its crooked but its the only game in town for those of us that can't buy online, They can set what ever price they like for games and that is what we pay, example being the €149.99 for GTA V in GameStop or €129.99 in Smyths or €239.98 for a 3ds xl with a game and charger or €224.99 in Smyths.

When the next gen is launched depending on what stores are left selling games Gamestop should be the last bricks and Mortar store anyone goes to, they are just too greedy sometimes. Lesson here is to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Big and all as GameStop are as a company, there are LOTS of alternatives around the world - albeit not so many in Ireland. Over here there's a pretty solid selection between Walmart, Future Shop and Best Buy that GameStop (who trade as EBGames) aren't a consideration for many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭lertsnim

www.videogamesplus.ca is who I would usually buy from online

HMV didn't close down because they weren't competitive. They were great value for the consumer in B&M in this country for the last couple of years, if you weren't stung with buying gift cards. A lot of their issue which caused them to be closed down was an overwhelming debt they couldn't manage.

they were very competitive, i only bought from them. But you had people blaming the usual ghost of piracy and others saying it was consumers fault for wanting to buy things at a lower price :rolleyes: (which i could never understand).
    I truly miss HMV. I even miss GAME, they were cheaper than Gamestop and usually had offers on recently released games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

As much as I dislike shopping in Gamestop, can people not see a correlation between the fact that yes, they were more expensive than HMV, GAME, Xtravision, but yet still have the same amount of shops in the Republic, while the other places are dwindling or gone completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GameStop closed their UK stores a while back, they also got rid of loads of staff last year, the only reason they are still going is the second hand games market, GTA V getting held back so many times was a deal breaker as far as GAME was concerned, HMV was just too much in debt. Wish both were still around though,competition is good for everyone, maybe Grainger Games might open a branch over here soon or GAME might come back in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

GameStop closed their UK stores a while back, they also got rid of loads of staff last year, the only reason they are still going is the second hand games market, GTA V getting held back so many times was a deal breaker as far as GAME was concerned, HMV was just too much in debt. Wish both were still around though,competition is good for everyone, maybe Grainger Games might open a branch over here soon or GAME might come back in some form.

Yeah I noticed that about their staffing numbers alright.

That's the thing though, they've managed to weather the storm, all the other places did the second hand game thing as well, so now they're pretty much the only place to get the game from in town (with the higher price than what everywhere else used to charge), and they're also the only real option left to trade it back in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd always go to HMV first, then Xtravision, then Gamestop if I was stuck, (and I'n begrudgingly going there for GTA on release), I'm just not surprised that the place that charged the most is the only one still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

As much as I dislike shopping in Gamestop, can people not see a correlation between the fact that yes, they were more expensive than HMV, GAME, Xtravision, but yet still have the same amount of shops in the Republic, while the other places are dwindling or gone completely?

Gamestop here are backed by a massive parent company who were in a position to back them financially through the period and who ensure they have access at times to exclusive content not available elsewhere.

HMV sold games at a loss. Everyone else had the choice of dropping prices to compete and hope that the pre owned market would make up for the losses. Those that dropped them too much became unviable and went bust along with HMV. Gamestop didn't drop prices by as much, sold less new games for cash = less money lost. They continued to grow the pre owned market which allowed profit over the loss making new game sales. In essence Gamestop had the funds behind them to continue paying their rent and expenses even with dwindling sales. Now the downward pressure has been removed they are in a position to start bringing game prices back up to the RRP's which they sell them at outside of Ireland. That's what is happening here.

They chose to manage that debt by short term cashflow boosting excercises like selling at a loss / too cheap. It wasn't sustainable in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Not that I've any love for Gamestop, personally I think the company stinks from a consumer perspective and their average sales staff / managerial staff are ....well....working in a video games store for good reason (and it ain't love of games ;-) ) BUT - can people please look up the meaning of the word "monopoly" before throwing it about?

Monopoly - Noun

1.The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
    2.The exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something: "men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love".

Gamestop do NOT have exclusive possession of , nor are they in any way physically or legally blocking anyone else from entering the games market. You or I are free to set up our own multinational company in the morning and wipe them out sales wise overnight if we would like.

- NOT A MONOPOLY -

Advertisement