Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Backup to PC problem

Options
  • 24-07-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum for this question, if not, could someone suggest the correct forum, please.

I have backed up my phone (Nokia E51) contacts etc. to my PC via Nokia PC Suite backup facility. My OS is Windows XP Pro (SP3) The default location and name for the backup, which was accepted is as follows:

"C:Documents and Settings\Micheal\Application Date\Nokia\ContentCopier\2013-07-22 Nokia.nbu"

I was of the opinion that I could access this file via My Computer - Local Disk - Documents and Settings - Micheal. However, when I follow this path to the folder Micheal, the contents of the Micheal Folder are as follows: Desktop; Favourites; My Documents; Start Menu and MS Outlook dat file. It appears that the Nokia Contents are not available/visible or if so, I cannot locate the file. Can someone please help?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maidhci wrote: »
    The default location and name for the backup, which was accepted is as follows:

"C:Documents and Settings\Micheal\Application Date\Nokia\ContentCopier\2013-07-22 Nokia.nbu"

You don't have a backslash after C:
    So the path is not relative to the root directory, it's probably stored relative to the path the program was running in.

I don't know what version of windows you're running, for all versions of Windows you should be able to do the following.

1. Go to the Windows start menu and select "run"
    2. Type in "cmd" ( without quotes ) and click okay to open a command prompt window

3. Type
    dir c:\*.nbu /b /s

It should run for a while, searching all your folders on your C: drive for any Nokia backup files.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Many thanks for your response CD. The backslash after the 'C' was inadvertently omitted in my post, it would therefore suggest that the path is relative to the root directory - apologies for confusion caused by this ommission. Running the command outlined in your post locates the file in the location specified in my post:"C:\Documents and Settings\Micheal\Application Date\Nokia\ContentCopier\2013-07-22 Nokia.nbu". It cannot however be accessed by following the route outlined in my post, which is: My Computer - Local Disk - Documents and Settings - Micheal. I am running Windows XP Pro (SP3). Hope you can help me access this file through Windows. Again, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Copy and paste this into the explorer bar in Windows:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Micheal\Application Data\Nokia\ContentCopier\

Application Data is a hidden folder, which is why you can't see it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Many thanks for your help 28064212 - much appreciated.

Having located the files, I presume it is now possible to cut and paste these files to a Desktop folder and manage them from there?

Advertisement