Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any else finding the iPhone 5 an absolute pain in the *rse??

• 24-07-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I 'upgraded to the iPhone 5 about 2 months ago. About 3 weeks in, the phone went mental and there were crazy zig-zags down the front of the screen and then it went completely blank. I brought it back and was told I was 'just unlucky, that nobody else had ever had any problems with it'. My phone was taken off me for two weeks, in which time I had to chase them for information, the whole thing was very frustrating.

After two weeks of ME calling THEM, they replaced it with a new model. Then two weeks later the camera develops this black line down the middle of every photo. I called into the shop, they've said it's a fault in the phone and they're going to have to send it away for another two weeks!!!

I'm really annoyed and they're saying no one else has complained. Is this true? Anyone else had any problems? I seriously wish I'd never bothered getting this phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭iniall

I've had mine since November and haven't had any problems so far. What network are you with? I think the general consensus is that you should deal directly with Apple if you have a problem like this, rather than your network or shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Had mine since release, zero problems. Few friends have them to and no problems to report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've had mine since February. No problems whatsoever.

The issue here seems to be less with the phone than with the quality of service from the shop. They are messing you around. Deal with Apple direct. They can provide you with a replacement phone while yours is being serviced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm on my second iPhone 5. The first developed imperfections on the lens after a few months, and Apple replaced it.

The one I have now also is showing some signs of doing the same (circular grey patches when shooting white backgrounds). It doesn't really bother me at present, but I'll probably get Apple to replace it before my 12 month warranty is up.

I still wouldn't swap it for anything else. I was playing with a SG3 over the weekend and don't think I could ever own one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Part of the problem, I believe, is living in Ireland. If you were in the UK or the US or - you know - pretty much any other country, the service is absolutely top notch.

Friend in the states had a problem with the iPhone 4 back in the day. Took it in, they looked at it, saw it was a problem and swapped the phone for him there and then.

In Ireland, you're more often than not dealing with the network. Take Sad Professor's advice and talk straight to Apple.

I think my favorite story was with an ex who had a similar problem and she was with Three. Three, who sell mobile phones and network service, did not have a number for a store outside of Dublin. Le Sigh.

• Advertisement

You're much better off dealing with Apple directly. While this goes against the whole "the retailer is responsible" clause of consumer law, in some cases the repair companies the networks use to service iPhones aren't even authorised to do so. Apple will also replace it with another phone (rather than repairing your existing one) and the turnaround time is much quicker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think you are probably always better off dealing with the manufacturer. While the retailer is legally responsible, they'd much rather not be, which is why manufacturers feel compelled to offer their own warranty. The only time I'd go back to a retailer is if their customer service reputation was so good that I thought I could get a replacement right there on the spot. I remember in the early days of the Xbox 360 RROD fault some retailers were handing out replacements 360s. But once they realised how widespread the problem was they started sending them back to MS and making the customer wait. In which case it was easier to just deal with MS yourself rather than have the retailer do it for you.

I think Apple are very aware of this problem and would much rather be the one selling and repairing your phone for you. Cook said a while ago that he'd like the number of iPhone sold in US Apple Store to increase from 20 to 50 percent. Unfortunately in Ireland we're still stuck dealing with Apple over the phone or with one of their service providers, which isn't exactly ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you live on the border go to the apple store in Belfast and deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Unfortunate to hear, OP. When I bought my iPhone 5 from Apple there was a broken speaker from the moment I picked it up, and to their credit, Apple replaced it the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Never had a problem with mine other than a few freezes, but that's because I have mine jailbroken with some tweaks installed. Maybe look after it a bit better. I currently have to use a HTC One X (my iPhone charger is broken, no charge) and it's torture compared to iOS. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 RachelOHara

Thanks a mill everyone, guess I was just doubly unlucky so!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Try storing in in your pocket instead.

I thang yew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Thanks a mill everyone, guess I was just doubly unlucky so!

I'm not 100% satisfied with mine. 3 minor things wrong with it. Occasionally when I go to take a picture, I get purple lines running tru the screen. I also have a slight squeak when the top right of the phone is pressed. And lately, the phone intermittently dies with up to 30% battery remaining. Won’t turn back on until I plug in the lightning cable, but will have 30% battery when back on!!

Also, the missus camera is not great. A lot of white light while taking photos.
    I think a trip to Belfast is called for...

Bazsutto wrote: »
    I'm not 100% satisfied with mine. 3 minor things wrong with it. Occasionally when I go to take a picture, I get purple lines running tru the screen. I also have a slight squeak when the top right of the phone is pressed. And lately, the phone intermittently dies with up to 30% battery remaining. Won’t turn back on until I plug in the lightning cable, but will have 30% battery when back on!!

Also, the missus camera is not great. A lot of white light while taking photos.
    I think a trip to Belfast is called for...

Definitely! Far below expectations there... I had a similar problem back in the day with the 3GS. Was still within Applecare, service was just unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

So even if you have a vodafone iPhone under a year old apple Belfast will replace ? How do they know it's less than a year old ?

They'd have the date of purchase on their systems.

You know the service is generally quite good because, in fairness, when people get bad service we all end up talking about it. Bit of an oddity.

Apple Belfast are you next move I'd say. Register it in your name (google My Apple Support Profile) first and make sure you have the serial number. ID and proof of purchase - even the box! and maybe figure out what day you bought it - and head up.

Advertisement