Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own gluten-free gravy

Options
  • 24-07-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a recipe for delicious gluten-free gravy that would be similar along the lines of the Bisto stuff? In particular I was hoping for a recipe that let you freeze more concentrated gravy which you can then use as required?
    I have had to go gluten-free and so far the gravy is the number one thing that I'm missing!

thanks!

jendafer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just make a regular gravy I'd say.

After the meat is cooked, add a splash of wine, reduce. Done.

If you want it thicker, you could add cornflour, I think some cornflours are gluten free

That won't be anything like Bisto, but I'm not a bisto fan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've used gluten free flour to make a roux before. It turned out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As the original advert went (Bisto browns. Bisto thickens. Bisto seasons. All in one go.) Bisto is just thickening (i.e. flour for which you can substitute a gluten free version), seasoning, i.e. salt and pepper and a colouring agent, or gravy browning which you can get in bottles, or at least you could do back in the 'olden days' :) I have no idea if that's gluten free but I think it's colour comes from caramel and/or molasses so should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Alun wrote: »
    As the original advert went (Bisto browns. Bisto thickens. Bisto seasons. All in one go.) Bisto is just thickening (i.e. flour for which you can substitute a gluten free version), seasoning, i.e. salt and pepper and a colouring agent, or gravy browning which you can get in bottles, or at least you could do back in the 'olden days' :) I have no idea if that's gluten free but I think iwt's colour comes from caramel and/or molasses so should be OK.

Bisto isn't g-f

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bisto isn't g-f
    :confused: I never said it was!! I was just pointing out what the main constituents were, and that the only one that wasn't gluten free was the flour which can probably be replaced by a gluten free equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Alun wrote: »
    :confused: I never said it was!! I was just pointing out what the main constituents were, and that the only one that wasn't gluten free was the flour which can probably be replaced by a gluten free equivalent.

Sorry I misread your post. Two cranky toddlers shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I just use the juice off the meat! Bit of boiling water and mix in cornflour and a small bit of butter!! Any of the gluten free gravies I've used have ended up being used over the dogs food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Potato starch is the perfect thickener for a gravy, and is gluten free.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup, I've to cook every so often for a dairy/gluten allergic person, and use the juice of the meat, water and potato starch to make a gravy which everyone seems to love.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get the starch cheap in asian supermarkets. I really like it, but be careful to add it to cold water & stir well first. You only need a tiny bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm quite into cooking and yet can you believe I've never made my own gravy! I was more thinking of an alternative to bisto that I can make when I dont have a full roast eg to have with pork chops or smaller bits of chicken. I think I will try experiment a little with some of the suggestions posted here and will report back :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

According to Google, Bisto Best is gluten free (or close enough to not cause problems for coeliacs). http://www.gfdining.co.uk/tag/bisto-best/, http://coeliac.ie/webboards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1248 and http://littlemissedgluten.me/2012/11/19/which-bisto-is-best-for-coeliacs-and-other-gravies/, for instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Orgran do products in this area. Should be available in supermarkets, but it's been a while since I checked.

http://www.orgran.com/products/137/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use Xanthum gum as a thickening agent for liquid meat stocks to make gravy. It is sold as a baking ingredient but was also marketed by Ferran Adria as a molecular gastronomy ingredient for making sauces. No need to buy his brand. A little goes a long way. It is also a great emulsifier, making a lovely smooth gravy. Gluten free.

Advertisement