Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

• 24-07-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭

This just popped up on steam as a preorder, there's a semi-gameplay video here
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/65930/

it's due for release next month, but some of the preorder bonuses are awesome.
    If (they've already gotten the first one unlocked today) they get all three unlocked, you get the entire XCOM collection, every XCOM game ever made, including Enemy Unknown, as well as Spec ops: The line and a bonus DLC mission for The Bureau.

There are a few videos on youtube showing proper gameplay and it doesn't look half bad. This is a recanned third person action game made from the guts of what was supposed to be the XCOM FPS. I'll be buying it anyway, mostly because it's XCOM, but i just hope it's not a cash-in. Fingers crossed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Looks ok, I'd love to know if there's more to it than the 3rd person tactical shooty bits like some elements from Enemy Unknown like researching/upgrading/building etc etc.

And yeah those preorder bonuses are pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

X COM is only a turn based strategy!

/thread :pac:

No really, I am not interested in this at all. It is sort of a shame that they decided to continue with this project instead of doing some more DLC, expansions or even new turn based X-com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I want to enjoy it because I like Xcom but also don't want it to be too successful so they lose focus on the turn based one.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

The pre-order bonuses are not enough to get me to pre order this thing. I've played all the X-Coms before :) and don't have time for Spec Ops. I'll wait for some trusted reviewers opinions on this one. Looks alright but I'd definitely have preferred another game in the classic X-Com mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oddly it reminds me of hidden and dangerous for some reason (though it should remind me of mass effect with the powers wheel)

But something in it keeps making me think H&D, perhaps its the retro 50's feel combined with the old school rifles and 3rd person perspective while being all *tactical*

Hate to hijack the thread but I want a Hidden and Dangerous 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

X COM is only a turn based strategy!

/thread :pac:

No really, I am not interested in this at all. It is sort of a shame that they decided to continue with this project instead of doing some more DLC, expansions or even new turn based X-com.

What?.....do you guys know this game is made by a different developer 2k Marin, so its development has no affect on the turn based X-Com game made by Firaxis.

What is with the negativity surrounding this game. You guys got a turn based X-Com last year that was very good so whats wrong with another developer trying a different take on the IP. You want another turn based X-Com less than a year later?

I mean if we took this attitude with all IP's then we would have never got Mario Kart.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Azza wrote: »
    You guys got a turn based X-Com last year that was very good so whats wrong with another developer trying a different take on the IP.

Because it gets us Thief 4.

Have you played this game or Thief 4?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have you played this game or Thief 4?

Of course not, but then I don't need to have played Thief 4 since the producers have publicly stated and displayed that they've gutted the mechanics and setting and the resignations that have stemmed from it.

The game still isn't out, its possible by the time of its release it could be a good game.

Problems like that can just as equally happen to current IP's as well.

• Advertisement

What?.....do you guys know this game is made by a different developer 2k Marin, so its development has no affect on the turn based X-Com game made by Firaxis.

What is with the negativity surrounding this game. You guys got a turn based X-Com last year that was very good so whats wrong with another developer trying a different take on the IP. You want another turn based X-Com less than a year later?

I mean if we took this attitude with all IP's then we would have never got Mario Kart.

Dont get your knickers in a twist bud. People like and prefer different things. I would take a big expansion or new x-com turn based over that crap. same way someone would take that crap over turn based stuff. Its life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Firaxis are currently working on a very hush-hush XCOM project, they have been recruiting specifically for it but since the XCOM teaser a few months ago there has been nothing but deafening silence about it. I'm inclined to think that the publishers 2K have a non disclosure agreement in effect until after The Bureau is released so it wont affect sales of either product.

That's my theory anyway, who knows..

The PR for this game (The Bureau) is pretty awesome, some of the live action videos are very effective. This is the latest one

and the original teaser

And yes, that is Merry (Dominic Monaghan) from LOTR in the newest one :) So at least you know that 2K are proud enough of the product to pump some hefty cash into the live action and to fork out for a decent actor such as Dominic Monaghan

Problem I have with this game:

I LOVE this time period in USA 30s to 60s/ish with fantasy elements. A lot of my favorite games are based on this period of time. Like Bioshock, Mafia, Fallout ( Not really, but it is a twisted version of this time period ), L.A. Noire ( hated the game, but time period was damn classy captured ).

I HATE how it looks already. Looks like a linier coridor with chest high walls. Instead of shooting all badies yourself, this time you will need to give orders to other Dumb AI companions.

From what I read/heard so far it was suppost to get scraped or made in to cheaper non AAA game.

Shadow, we get it, you don't like the idea lol you're just repeating yourself :)

I'll reserve judgement til i play it, then i can truly be my cynical self about it.

Game looks fun enough to me. I'll wait for the reviews, but I'm not going knock the game simply because its not in the same genre as the original. The other reasons people listed don't bother me in the slightest. Linear, yeah Half Life was linear :rolleyes:

Game looks fun enough to me. I'll wait for the reviews, but I'm not going knock the game simply because its not in the same genre as the original. The other reasons people listed don't bother me in the slightest. Linear, yeah Half Life was linear :rolleyes:

Linear as going from one high chest wall to another chest high wall and then fighting a boss at another chest high wall. And when you just got bored of that chest high wall they throw a twist at you - a full size fecking wall! :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

They make the original XCOM - turn-based - everyone loves it, great game..

Then various real-time incarnations come out - most are pretty meh and forgettable

Finally, after what, a decade or more? they give-in and reproduce the original XCOM - everyone loves it, sells like hotcakes..

now they're back with this.. another real-time game destined for mediocrity

They just don't learn :)

I've read a lot of user reviews for X-Com Enemy Unknown by fans of the original who say its massively dumbed down shallow version of the original.

Having not played the original I wouldn't know, I did enjoyeEnemy Unknown, but the mutliplayer was absolutely broken and never fixed as far as I'm aware.
    Linear as going from one high chest wall to another chest high wall and then fighting a boss at another chest high wall. And when you just got bored of that chest high wall they throw a twist at you - a full size fecking wall!

Sounds alot like X-Com Enemy Unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Multiplayed worked perfectly on PS3. Probably the best multiplayer I've ever played too.

I agree about the prejudgement though. Give the feckin thing a chance lads.
    Looking at gameplay videos it seems very like Enemy Unknown in a lot of ways, even down to the cover icons. While I'd choose TBS over RTS I'm interested to see what it's like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...]
    There are a few videos on youtube showing proper gameplay and it doesn't look half bad. This is a recanned third person action game made from the guts of what was supposed to be the XCOM FPS. I'll be buying it anyway, mostly because it's XCOM, but i just hope it's not a cash-in. Fingers crossed :)

Not picking you specifically, but I don't understand this attitude, which seems quite singular to gamers. You're going to buy the game anyway (pre-ordered?), but you've no idea yet if it'll be any good or not (or a cash-in that might disappoint). Would it not make more sense to hold fire until it comes out and we know if the consensus speaks as to whether it's good or not, rather than potentially waste your money? Personally speaking, I simply don't have that kind of disposable income to thrown down on a whim on unknown quantities, and games like Colonial Marines demonstrate the danger of pre-orders ;)

For what it's worth, I found the new turn-based X-Com got very repetitive very quickly, and this more action based approach looks equally samey. Very reminiscent of Mass Effect, and the cutscene-action-cutscene approach to game design isn't particularly thrilling after a while...

• Advertisement

I'm going to buy the game anyway because it's got XCOM tagged onto it, that's a major factor in my decision to buy it, but not the sole decision. If i thought it looked like something i didn't want to play, or found nothing to my liking i wouldn't even think twice about buying it.

I've spent hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours playing the XCOM franchise games. It may as well be the next episode of that show you're interested in to me. If it had been another game or some other genre that didnt spike my interest so much i wouldnt preorder and would wait for critic reviews.

tldr: i love xcom, that's why :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

That's silly talk. This is the internet. It's no place for logical thinking. You just bash on your keyboard and complain about everything whether you've experienced it first hand or not. Come on, join in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Spear wrote: »
    Because it gets us Thief 4.

Ouch, low blow for us Original Thief fans.

On topic, I think this looks interesting, and have yet to play XCOM Enemy Unknown, waiting to get it cheap somewhere.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

On topic, I think this looks interesting, and have yet to play XCOM Enemy Unknown, waiting to get it cheap somewhere.

You missed your chance in the steam sale? oh man! :D

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Enemy Unknown will be free with the Steam pre-order version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Given the development hell this game has been stuck in for the last few years, I'm not going to be touching this with a barge pole until I see a decent chunk of reviews.

Have people forgotten this used to be an FPS?

gizmo wrote: »
    Given the development hell this game has been stuck in for the last few years, I'm not going to be touching this with a barge pole until I see a decent chunk of reviews.

Have people forgotten this used to be an FPS?

It's the fact that it was an FPS, and they backed off from that completely, swinging it back squad based and tactical, that makes me optimistic about. If nothing else it's hard to fault having a fedora and M-14.

I also mentioned it in the OP too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye, I'm just surprised more people aren't suspicious over the sudden and fairly dramatic change in direction that's occurred. That, combined with such little amount of actual info about the game and the fairly expensive looking marketing campaign has triggered too many alarm bells in my head for me to be able to get excited about it. :o

• Advertisement

those alarm bells for you were dinner bells for me lol

the FPS version 2K had planned for this didnt pique my interest as much as this tbh, sure time will tell wether it's any use anyway. I'm hopeful, but that could just be the euphoria granted by enemy unknown, either way it's gonna be interesting to see how it goes.

Advertisement