Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house..landlord wants to offer it to council...help!????

Options
  • 24-07-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,
    I'm not really sure what to do here or what the best thing to do is.

Basically I've been living in a house for almost a year now. I'm on BTEA as I'm a mature student gone back to college and I am getting rent allowance. So my landlord just rang and asked if I had to sign up for council housing to get the rent allowance, and I said yes I did, I'm on the list. I'm female, single, no kids so I know it would be very very very long time before a house would ever be offered. I don't mind, I'm happy out renting!

She then said, well would you be interested in approaching the council and they would be paying me the rent, but you could continue living there and you'd be paying the council your portion of rent. And that she'd have the security of knowing that the council would be paying her the rent for five years whether or not I was here.

Now I really like it here, and she still said that if I checked it out and it wasn't something I was interested in, that she didn't care, she was just happy to have a good tenant in the house that minds it and always pays the rent and everything on time, but would it be something I might check out and see if it was beneficial for me, and have a think about it and get back to her.

So I suppose what I need help with is:

Has anyone done this before?
    How does it work?
    Normally when you're in a council house long term and paying them what happens?
    Would I end up paying more every month than what I'm paying right now?
    (really can't afford that!)
    Or if you guys have any information at all I would be so grateful!!

I don't mind continuing on the way I've been going, just paying the rent, but if it's going to be a slightly cheaper option for me, I wouldn't mind considering it for long term lease (she said 5 years).

But then what happens at the end of the five years?

I don't know what to make of it, if it's good or bad idea/offer!!
    Help please and thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What your LL is talking about is the rental accommodation scheme operated by most town and county councils around the country.

The basics of it are that you go off the housing list and the council enter an undertaking to house you in rental accommodation for as long as you need housing. The council lease property from landlords and you then rent the property but you are renting from the landlord in a private rental agreement and any repairs etc are done by the LL not the council. the council only "facilitate" the agreement between you and the LL but they do examine all the registered property to ensure it meets the basic minimum standards for rented housing. Also any disputes or problems are dealt with by the PRTB.

You also pay council rates of rent to the council usually through the household budget scheme in the post office if you are getting a welfare payment, and the council pay the landlord the rent monthly at an agreed rate usually slightly below the market rate, but it guarantees the LL gets rent regularly for the duration of the lease.

more about the scheme from the following links;
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/rental_accommodation_scheme.html

and for your local County/City/Town/Borough council website where you should be able to get local contact details from the RAS office or housing section,
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/LocalAuthorities/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wmagalore

Thanks foggy_lad!! I'll take a look at those links now!! That helps me understand it a little better!!

Personally, do you think it's a better option for me (aka the renter, not the landlord). In your experience or if you have any knowledge, is it a cheaper or better option for the person renting the house??
    Thanks again Foggy_lad!!

wmagalore wrote: »
    Thanks foggy_lad!! I'll take a look at those links now!! That helps me understand it a little better!!

It looks like a very good scheme for both LL and tenants as it provides a lot of security for both and it also costs the councils less than convential housing stock which costs so much to renovate and repair when required.

You personally(despite your LL being very happy with you) would have more security as long as you meet the requirements of your lease, and your LL would not be without rent while looking for another tenant if you decided to leave after your current lease is up, most councils offer 5 and 10 year leases and the LL also does not have to worry about those on rent supplement as they are moved off that onto RAS and pay approx €30 weekly to the council for a single person on normal dole or welfare payments.

I think I may send off a quick e-mail to the county council or maybe go into Citizens information and see if they can provide me with more details, of like rates and stuff for it! Thanks foggy_lad you've been a great help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Aren't these schemes for people who are really trying to be housed permanently by the council?

If you are going back to education shouldn't you be more aspirational than being housed by the state. I mean the main purpose is for those in need get housing as they can't and never will be able to afford it.

I think I may send off a quick e-mail to the county council or maybe go into Citizens information and see if they can provide me with more details, of like rates and stuff for it! Thanks foggy_lad you've been a great help!!
    It sounds like your LL has already been on to the council asking about it so maybe drop into your local housing office(ring first and ask for an appointment with the RAS officer) to have a chat about your options, they are always happy to take on Landlords who have eligible rental supplement tenants.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Aren't these schemes for people who are really trying to be housed permanently by the council?

If you are going back to education shouldn't you be more aspirational than being housed by the state. I mean the main purpose is for those in need get housing as they can't and never will be able to afford it.

No
    The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is an initiative by the Government to cater for the accommodation needs of certain persons in receipt of rent supplement, normally for more than 18 months and who are assessed as having a long-term housing need.
    Many people who are working will never be able to buy their own home and will be renting for most of their lives, they therefore have a long term housing need! at the moment the op is in receipt of rent supplement and this scheme allows for increases to their rent if and when their circumstances change for the better.

Thanks Foggy_lad!!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No
    The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is an initiative by the Government to cater for the accommodation needs of certain persons in receipt of rent supplement, normally for more than 18 months and who are assessed as having a long-term housing need.

That says yes. As I said I would expect people to be aspirational if going back to education. I would think the goal is to improve ones overall quality of life.

If you want to take that as an insult of some sort that is your problem. I have no problem with people getting help from the state. I do my own bit to help people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The main advantage to the OP here is that after her re-training/education she will likely seek work. Under the rent supplement system she's currently housed under, she would lose entitlement to RS if she starts working. RAS however is like a pseudo council house...she pays rent at council rates and can work (more pay = more rent, but still heavily subsidised) and build herself up and eventually leave social housing (hopefully).

This is the way it was. I believe it's not as clear cut as that any more but certainly RAS is less volatile and the OP can return to work without the fear of being suddenly cut off.

murphaph wrote: »
    The main advantage to the OP here is that after her re-training/education she will likely seek work. Under the rent supplement system she's currently housed under, she would lose entitlement to RS if she starts working. RAS however is like a pseudo council house...she pays rent at council rates and can work (more pay = more rent, but still heavily subsidised) and build herself up and eventually leave social housing (hopefully).

This is the way it was. I believe it's not as clear cut as that any more but certainly RAS is less volatile and the OP can return to work without the fear of being suddenly cut off.

When working and paying council rent it is slightly subsidised but not to the extent that some believe. tenants pay 20% of every euro they earn above the disregard figure(about €175 for single person) up to a maximum of €200 per week. So if the op earned €475 a week they would be paying about €90/week rent which is not too far off the cost of a basic flat.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    When working and paying council rent it is slightly subsidised but not to the extent that some believe. tenants pay 20% of every euro they earn above the disregard figure(about €175 for single person) up to a maximum of €200 per week. So if the op earned €475 a week they would be paying about €90/week rent which is not too far off the cost of a basic flat.
    It's friggin miles away from the cost of renting what they get which isn't usually a flat.

I have no problem with it but lets not make up that it is not a great deal for many people compared to those who have to do it on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, as you say you're nowhere near the top of the housing list. Are you sure that you would get this house, ie that your landlord would get you as a tenant? Only your council can tell you, but it seems to me there's a chance you could be out on your ear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm on the same scheme...see my posts here, i can PM you if ya wanna talk or ya can gimme a call and i'll walk ya through it. :)

Hi everyone,
    I'm not really sure what to do here or what the best thing to do is.

Basically I've been living in a house for almost a year now. I'm on BTEA as I'm a mature student gone back to college and I am getting rent allowance. So my landlord just rang and asked if I had to sign up for council housing to get the rent allowance, and I said yes I did, I'm on the list. I'm female, single, no kids so I know it would be very very very long time before a house would ever be offered. I don't mind, I'm happy out renting!

She then said, well would you be interested in approaching the council and they would be paying me the rent, but you could continue living there and you'd be paying the council your portion of rent. And that she'd have the security of knowing that the council would be paying her the rent for five years whether or not I was here.

Now I really like it here, and she still said that if I checked it out and it wasn't something I was interested in, that she didn't care, she was just happy to have a good tenant in the house that minds it and always pays the rent and everything on time, but would it be something I might check out and see if it was beneficial for me, and have a think about it and get back to her.

So I suppose what I need help with is:

Has anyone done this before?
    How does it work?
    Normally when you're in a council house long term and paying them what happens?
    Would I end up paying more every month than what I'm paying right now?
    (really can't afford that!)
    Or if you guys have any information at all I would be so grateful!!

I don't mind continuing on the way I've been going, just paying the rent, but if it's going to be a slightly cheaper option for me, I wouldn't mind considering it for long term lease (she said 5 years).

But then what happens at the end of the five years?

I don't know what to make of it, if it's good or bad idea/offer!!
    Help please and thanks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

OP, as you say you're nowhere near the top of the housing list. Are you sure that you would get this house, ie that your landlord would get you as a tenant? Only your council can tell you, but it seems to me there's a chance you could be out on your ear.

Sounds to me like the RAS approached the LL and want to move the OP to the RAS scheme and get the house/LL under RAS....bottom line, they'll force her onto RAS....if not with this LL they'll find another RAS property/LL that will be under RAS.

I'd suggest she go for it, if she likes her current place then grand, she'll get a 4 year contract, i pay €28 pw through household budget thingy, deducted automatically.

They'll shift her to RAS anyways so she might as well stick with this place she already lives in and likes.

If a LL signs up with Ras and they have tenants the tenants must be eligible or the property cant be signed up until vacant afaik.

Usually tenants who enquire about it are told to ask their current Landlord about signing up.

Advertisement