Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i still get into college if i fail my language subject

• 24-07-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys so I did my leaving cert in June and I have a feeling i failed my language subject and wondering if I would still get into college. I want to study psychology in like ucd, trinity anywhere really and I did really well in my ordinary subject wondering would they just count my ordinary instead of my failed language subject and still get in if I get the points ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

nfa wrote: »
    Hey guys so I did my leaving cert in June and I have a feeling i failed my language subject and wondering if I would still get into college. I want to study psychology in like ucd, trinity anywhere really and I did really well in my ordinary subject wondering would they just count my ordinary instead of my failed language subject and still get in if I get the points ? Thanks

If your course only requires a pass in ordinary level for a language then they will count your ordinary subject that will be fine but you need to check your own course requirements.

I just looked up the ucd for example , +Entry Requirements
    English • Irish • A third language • Three other recognised subjects

Leaving Certificate
    Passes in six subjects including those shown above, of which two must be minimum HC3 It is essential to have passed these six subjects. The two grade C3s, or better, on Higher Papers may be obtained in any of the recognised matriculation subjects. One grade E on a Higher Course at Leaving Certificate will be accepted if the candidate has, among their other subjects, grade C3 or higher on three Higher Papers, or at least one grade B3 and one grade C3 on Higher Papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I know you need a third language pass for UCD.

Edit: Probably should have read the previous post :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nfa

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    If your course only requires a pass in ordinary level for a language then they will count your ordinary subject that will be fine but you need to check your own course requirements.

I just looked up the ucd for example , +Entry Requirements
    English • Irish • A third language • Three other recognised subjects

Leaving Certificate
    Passes in six subjects including those shown above, of which two must be minimum HC3 It is essential to have passed these six subjects. The two grade C3s, or better, on Higher Papers may be obtained in any of the recognised matriculation subjects. One grade E on a Higher Course at Leaving Certificate will be accepted if the candidate has, among their other subjects, grade C3 or higher on three Higher Papers, or at least one grade B3 and one grade C3 on Higher Papers.

So I have to get 3 c3s or higher in other subjects that the E in my language subject won't matter ? That's the way I got from reading what you posted so is that wright ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

nfa wrote: »
    So I have to get 3 c3s or higher in other subjects that the E in my language subject won't matter ? That's the way I got from reading what you posted so is that wright ?

yea exactly , go onto qualifax and look up each college because they might have different requirements :)

i know i went into qualifax but didnt tell me if i failed my language subject would i not get in. it says i need it but noting about failing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

By needing English, Irish and a third language for entry, I think you need to pass them at ordinary level at least.

Trinity requires English and one other language or Latin and a non-language subject. That means you can get into Trinity as long as you've passed English and either Irish or your other language as long as you got the points for entry.

A97 wrote: »
    By needing English, Irish and a third language for entry, I think you need to pass them at ordinary level at least.

Trinity requires English and one other language or Latin and a non-language subject. That means you can get into Trinity as long as you've passed English and either Irish or your other language as long as you got the points for entry.

Okay that makes sense thank you very much guess I just have to hope for the best and wait for the results. Thanks guys for the answers

Advertisement