Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amercan citizen need a esta form to immigrate to canada?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I have a american and Irish passport. do i need a Esta form for immigrating to canada when i stop in chicago ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If you travel on your American passport, then no. But that's the passport you have to present to immigration when you get to Canada, and if you're going on an IEC, you'll be rendered ineligible through that as far as I know. Best bet is get an ESTA on the Irish passport, travel on it, get your work permit and visa, and then use your American passport any time you're travelling between the two countries

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

Yes I'm going to canada on a IEC visa correct, so you think doesn't matter if have a american passport or not ill still have problems in chicago?

what happens to people who arrive and don't have the Esta?

I was just born in america but I use my Irish passport travelling every where, Im irish in my eyes!!

Just get the esta... It takes two minutes. I don't get the big issue people have with it. It's like a tenner and you can do it online

Also what makes you think you'll have problems?

I just thought i wouldn't have to do it when I have a american passport. but I'm going through with a Iec VISA for Canada and that's registered with my Irish one

Yeah, you'll have to travel on the Irish one as far as I know unfortunately. Although it might be worth calling the Canadian embassy to find out. Maybe you could travel on the american and use the irish one with immigration, I don't think it's the case but not positive about it

• Advertisement

i just signed up and did the esta form said it will take 79.00 dollars off me and to check my email in 24-48 hours to be confirmed.

is this what ye paid??????? thought was 14 dollars

i paid 79 dollars for a esta form is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

gemie wrote: »
    i paid 79 dollars for a esta form is this right?

No there $14 !!!!

haro124 wrote: »
    No there $14 !!!!

said its gonna charge me 79.00 dollars after i confirmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If someone is proposing to charge you $79 this is an agency, it is not the US government. Go directly to the US government site, not a middleman.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    If someone is proposing to charge you $79 this is an agency, it is not the US government. Go directly to the US government site, not a middleman.

yes have to get a refund first! i know the right website get it off now!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishcanadian

US citizens must use their US Passport when entering/leaving the USA
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html
    Canada does recognize dual nationality so no issue on the Canadian side as your IEC is in your Irish passport.

Canada does recognize dual nationality so no issue on the Canadian side as your IEC is in your Irish passport.

great thank you very much, so you dont think i need a esta form???
    i have a irish and american passport in date

You have to begin and end travel on the same passport, thats the potential issue I can see though

Advertisement