Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Web Summit in October?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭

Has anybody being to this summit before and what are their thoughts on it? I have been informed of it but €500 a ticket for 2 days I want to know what it is about but paying that amount of money. Secondly a exhibitor ticket costs almost €10k???? Why I wonder does it cost so much. It is only on for 2 days?

I have heard that you can get a exhibitor ticket for free if you buy 2 normal tickets. I received a email today from one of the summit guys looking to do a interview with me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why not just contact them on the site and ask them? Or if one of them has already been in touch with you about an interview why not ask him since you have a direct contact? You are going to get the best answer from someone there, costs last year may not be the same as this year etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

herthabsc wrote: »
    Why I wonder does it cost so much. It is only on for 2 days?
    I'd assume the justification for such a high cost (both for the normal tickets and especially for the exhibitor tickets) is that no other event here in Ireland brings together such a high number of tech companies (especially the high level companies), like mined peers, startups, VCs and tech focused media in a single location. For the right exhibitor able to make the right pitch(es) in the right way, I'd say that the cost of the exhibition could turn out to be a bargain.

Having been to previous summit's, both pre and post the kick up in prices and pre and post the change to a 2 day event, I would say that the "talks" themselves are a relatively small part of the value for the day. There are some fantastic talks from some amazing speakers, don't get me wrong. Having the ability to pitch a few questions to some of these guys (either as the follow up to a talk or in general during the two days) is great. However the real value from the event is the networking and interaction/engagement you do at it. From that point of view, how much value you get from the two days is very much in your own hands, is down to your own personality and is partly down to how much work you put into it.

To be fair to Paddy and the other guys behind the summit, they do have the "Alpha Program" for smaller businesses.
    Each week we're selecting 10 early stage startups from around the world to exhibit for free as part of our Alpha Program. How can we do that? Simple! We charge bigger tech companies €9,950 to exhibit, and make it free for incredible startups. If you're selected, all you'll pay is the price of two ordinary tickets, €495 each, and we'll give you a free exhibition stand, along with two tickets and a lot more. It only takes a minute to apply, and could change the course of your startup forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The super early bird tickets were 495 this year, I paid 350 for the same ticket last yet. Last years conference was good but to be honest they stream a lot of it online live so I'd prefer to watch the stream than pay 500 quid for it this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

Very good point. I think I will do the same. €150 difference is excessive. Unless you are well prepared and know what exactly you want to see and hear then the I don't think it will be money well spent.

• Advertisement

What I meant is that it would probably be worth streaming. To those who know exactly what they want and who they want to see and hear it may indeed be worth going to. I will give it a miss and stream the best bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

herthabsc wrote: »
    What I meant is that it would probably be worth streaming. To those who know exactly what they want and who they want to see and hear it may indeed be worth going to. I will give it a miss and stream the best bits.

did you do the interview?

Yep. I had it today. Wasn't that impressed if I am honest about it and one of the reasons why I decided to give a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Did anyone got in 2013 and have feedback. Is it anything close to what its hyped up to be?

Advertisement