Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unstable boundary wall

• 24-07-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We have just removed outside wc and boiler house that were standing against boundary wall. Wall only 4" thick and there since house built in 1930's. Architect and engineer thought wall looked the worse for wear and went to talk to neighbour about possibility of strengthening existing wall or knocking down and building new wall.

Neighbour's first reaction was that he would have to get his own engineer to look at the wall and that we would have to pay his engineer's fee.
    When my architect & engineer went to look at wall on neighbour's side, it was clear from marks on wall that he had also recently removed an outhouse that had acted as a wall support. He admitted that he had removed it three years ago.

My feeling is that if it is mutually decided to replace wall, then it would be fair if the cost is split 50:50. If he doesn't want to pay, then my favoured solution is to position steel poles my side to strengthen wall.

My questions are:
    a) am I obliged to pay for his engineer to inspect wall?
    b) if he refuses to pay anything and wall is left as is, are we liable if wall crumbles onto his side due to old age/poor condition and because both he and we have removed outhouses that were acting as wall supports?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

higashi wrote: »
    a) am I obliged to pay for his engineer to inspect wall?
    No.

However, I presume you want the problem solved.

Talk to a solicitor familiar with such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 higashi

Victor, yes, want problem solved but don't see why I need to pay for his engineer to inspect wall. He removed his wall-supporting outhouse 3 years ago, we removed ours this year. I wondered if there was some legality saying that because we took the last support away, that we were liable to pay for his engineer.

Pododo, we BOTH removed the outhouses part of the function of which was to support the wall. So it seems to me we are both responsible in equal measure for the unstable condition of wall. As a result, splitting cost 50:50 of making wall safe seems like a reasonable solution. But the neighbour didn't want to take the word of our architect/engineer and wanted his own which is fair enough. But asking me to pay his engineer's fee seems strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Your question is about the extent of your liability, or whether there is any reason to believe that such liability should be any more than 50:50. It's a question that can't be answered on this forum.

It would be very interesting to know what your engineer says about the cause of the damage to the wall. Does he say that it is due to the age or poor construction of the wall? Does he say that it is due to the age or poor construction of the wall, but that the problem was aggravated by the removal of supports/outhouses? How long were those supports/outhouses there? Were they there 10 years, 20 years, or since the houses were built?

Obviously, your neighbour is entitled to get his own engineer. However, if he was my neighbour and if he asked me to pay for his engineer, I wouldn't be very impressed, in the circumstances. I think that it would be a reasonable question to ask your neighbour why he asks you to pay for his engineer, at this stage.

On a practical level, it would be a good idea to check with your engineer as to the approximate cost of building a new wall and the neighbour's engineering inspection.

Advertisement