Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boundary wall line, air-space

• 24-07-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I live on a street of semi-detached 1930's houses. My understanding is that my property ends at the mid-line of the boundary walls with my neighbours.

My question is whether this same boundary line stays constant if extensions are made upstairs, i.e. can an upstairs bathroom built onto the roof of the garage cross the boundary line into neighbour's "air-space"?

My neighbour has built a new bathroom onto his garage roof and it appears that it crosses the boundary line. Is there any official office to check exactly where the boundary lines of a property lie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The boundary line would likely continue up.

You need to check your title deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 higashi

Victor, do the title deeds show the exact boundaries of the property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

higashi wrote: »
    Victor, do the title deeds show the exact boundaries of the property?

Your architect/engineer in your other thread can give you an exact answer when he sees the title deeds or copy your solicitor has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Boundary line continues up to heaven and down to hell but you're still going to need expert advice on where it is.

I will get a surveyor to come and mark out the boundaries.

The first floor bathroom extension was built by the neighbour two and a half years ago. Is there any problem due to this amount of time elapsing between their building the extension and my noticing the possible problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

even with title deeds it can be difficult to establish the exact boundary. get some one how has experience with this.

Godtabh, yes, will do, thanks.
    Any idea on the issue of time elapse between the time neighbour built their extension and my noticing the possible problem of the boundary line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

higashi wrote: »
    The first floor bathroom extension was built by the neighbour two and a half years ago. Is there any problem due to this amount of time elapsing between their building the extension and my noticing the possible problem with it?
    The neighbour will claim the time delay aggrieves them.

Legally, they probably don't gain any rights as (a) it hasn't been 12 years (b) they can't occupy an eaves anyway.

Advertisement