Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid places to put traffic lights

Options
  • 24-07-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

So they finally activated the traffic light at the Glencurrig junction on South Douglas Road (Nemo Rangers). As expected, tailbacks now forming where there had hardly been any. Why do they sprout silly traffic lights where there's no need at all? Attempt to lift up the property value in the estate, maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Dont know what the council are at lately,i notice coming up to the north gate bridge from lavitts quay you can drive straight on in both lanes,problem is there are always cars parked on the inside lane ouside the gate cinema.Coming from the other side i notice the outside lane has turn left arrow now where that was straight on and inside lane turn left only over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

They must have a stash of them somewhere and need to use to them up.. All the ones up where they took the mahon/blackrock roundiebout away is madness. Daft ones aswell by Garryduff, why in the name of god did they think all of a sudden oh lets put lights there tisnt even a major road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anyone know what's happening with the lights on O'Connell St down by Blackpool?
    They've been off for over a week, it's one crazy spot for traffic in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Something like 11 sets now in Ballincollig main st, half of them usually turned off!

A set at the top of Sarsfield Rd put in recently also but never used.

Something fishy about it alright I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some years ago they put up traffic lights at the entrance to my parent's estate on the Rochestown road.
    There should have been no need for these lights but because so few people in that area commonly show a bit of courtesy and let other drivers in/out the lights became necessary. Any delays caused on the Rochestown Road by these lights are a direct result of selfish driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At the top of Na Piarisagh Hill by Eircom, they put a set of traffic lights about 10 yards to the left of the hill. The hill is a busy junction with the main road, so lights would make an awful lot more sense there, not at a random spot further down the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It's probably an urban myth, but it's been said that someone added a zero to an order for traffic lights a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

rovoagho wrote: »
    It's probably an urban myth, but it's been said that someone added a zero to an order for traffic lights a few years ago.

i think the amount of traffic lights popping lately is turning that from a myth into a probability!

case and point the roundabout - light junction - roundabout in togher
    the south douglas road - so many traffic lights absolutely no need,
    Maryborough hill is next to be hit
    actually Douglas itself they are finding the strangest spots for lights including the ones that are now turned off constantly by Barry's/Driscolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

kcb wrote: »
    Something like 11 sets now in Ballincollig main st, half of them usually turned off!

A set at the top of Sarsfield Rd put in recently also but never used.

Something fishy about it alright I'd say!

If I remember correctly the ones at Sarsfield Road worked for about a month. I remember having to stop at them a few times.

Turned off ever since though. Some waste of money by the Council there.

54kroc wrote: »
    They've been off for over a week, it's one crazy spot for traffic in the mornings.

I dont know was coming from gerald griffin street last sat and a guy came flying down from the neptune side and didnt even slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

The reason why, I have read on here, is because the government are willing to fund them. The Councils, already strapped for cash and under pressure to make things more pedestrian friendly, are taking that free solution then rather than sorting out good roundabouts.

Funnily enough the Americans are bringing back roundabouts as a way to saving fuel and reducing congestion. Less time stopped = less fuel wasted. We are going backwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i think the amount of traffic lights popping lately is turning that from a myth into a probability!

case and point the roundabout - light junction - roundabout in togher
    the south douglas road - so many traffic lights absolutely no need,
    Maryborough hill is next to be hit
    actually Douglas itself they are finding the strangest spots for lights including the ones that are now turned off constantly by Barry's/Driscolls.

What's this about, traffic lights on Maryborough Hill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Roundabouts and traffic lights are different solutions to different problems, the problem we have in Cork is that they pick one and use it for everything. One particular example that always sticks out for me is the junction at Super Valu in Skehard, which worked perfectly well with a roundabout.

The junction at the top of the Well Road was just fine too, but that idiot local councillor decided we should spend millions fixing a problem that didn't exist.

Dungarvan has the opposite problem, it has a positively retarded number of roundabouts on the main route around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

rovoagho wrote: »

Dungarvan has the opposite problem, it has a positively retarded number of roundabouts on the main route around the town.

It is quite phenomenal the amount of roundabouts you have to go through, something like 7 or 8 on the ring road.

There are no lights by barrys now since the new layout.

kub wrote: »
    What's this about, traffic lights on Maryborough Hill?

they recently added a new set by the Paddocks, the entrance to the maryborough house hotel/maryborough woods is getting them,

the entrance to lissadell is getting them, and the entrance to broadale/maryborough ridge is getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Some years ago they put up traffic lights at the entrance to my parent's estate on the Rochestown road.
    There should have been no need for these lights but because so few people in that area commonly show a bit of courtesy and let other drivers in/out the lights became necessary. Any delays caused on the Rochestown Road by these lights are a direct result of selfish driving.

As a matter of fact, it is more selfish for the residents to protest and request lights to block the flow of traffic on a main road, and it has a huge potential to backfire as well: it's exactly what happened in the location I mentioned.

Before the lights, I had to come to the stop sign and wait for the famous "suitable gap" to go. No problem, I was coming from a secondary road and joining a main one afterall; besides, it very seldom happened that the whole process took more than 30 seconds; the traffic on the main road was fluid and there were hardly ever any tailbacks - cars at the stop were usually able to clear the junction before more than 1 or 2 cars joined it.

Traffic lights situation: you come up to an inevitable queue of cars that formed because of the red light. Green comes on, the traffic on the main road stops, the first three, maximum four cars manage to go. The others have to wait for the next cycle. In the meantime, somebody pressed the pedestrian button, so now it's red all around, more cars joining the back of the queues. Finally it goes green on the main road, the tailback almost resolves, but it's red again. Rinse, repeat.

Things become totally ridiculous at night and low traffic times in general: where before you just passed on the main road, or came to a quick halt-check-go from the side road, now you're forced to stop and wait...with no other cars in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Good access until the council put in a set of lights which must be the slowest and meanest lights in Ireland. Now queues of cars 20 or more deep waiting to get out at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

doolox wrote: »
    Good access until the council put in a set of lights which must be the slowest and meanest lights in Ireland. Now queues of cars 20 or more deep waiting to get out at peak times.

What can be done to get the lights removed? I mean, other than obvious suggestions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

St Luke's Cross.

There are two sets of pedestrian lights miles away from where people cross the street. One on Middle Glanmire Road and the other on Old Youghal Road.

Meanwhile, it's difficult and dangerous for cars to get out of Middle Glanmire Road to Wellington Road as it's an uncontrolled junction with busy traffic up/down the Old Youghal Road.

They should have put in proper lights rather than two totally unconnected pedestrian crossings way too far away from the junction to be any use to anyone!
    What they did seems like a complete waste of traffic lights and of no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

There still fu..ed up.

So much for the rules of the road saying that traffic comeing from your right had right of way if lights out.

Lights would be fixed properly if in Bishopstown or Douglas, its not a compulicated system, just a standard four cross road lights .

Just like grass cutting. Wrong side of City for anyone to care !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

scudo2 wrote: »
    There still fu..ed up.

So much for the rules of the road saying that traffic comeing from your right had right of way if lights out.

Lights would be fixed properly if in Bishopstown or Douglas, its not a compulicated system, just a standard four cross road lights .

I saw engineers working on them week before last.

There still fu..ed up.

ha ha come drive through douglas and see how well the lights here are working,

Lights outside Tesco, no filter light on some sequences, backs traffic up around the village at non peak times,

lights outside barry's/driscolls, haven't been on in months, dangerous enough if you are trying to turn right down towards the east village as cars heading city direction fly by,

lights at the top of the donnybrook hill also have a filter arrow heading up grange that doesn't come on in cycles, leaving the lane long enough for about 4 cars to back up so cars going up donnybrook also get stuck in traffic on the hill where there is no need, and don't get me started on the south douglas road....

evilivor wrote: »
    I saw engineers working on them week before last.

NO

You saw somebody at them last week. !

Engineers fix things.

ha ha come drive through douglas and see how well the lights here are working,

Lights outside Tesco, no filter light on some sequences, backs traffic up around the village at non peak times,

lights outside barry's/driscolls, haven't been on in months, dangerous enough if you are trying to turn right down towards the east village as cars heading city direction fly by,

lights at the top of the donnybrook hill also have a filter arrow heading up grange that doesn't come on in cycles, leaving the lane long enough for about 4 cars to back up so cars going up donnybrook also get stuck in traffic on the hill where there is no need, and don't get me started on the south douglas road....

We just want a bog standard 4 cross road lights fixed.

Town planners totally messed up a potentaly lovely ( and was ) village in Douglas, sorry for your troubles, you need a major fix. We just need a safe cross road.

PS. How's the South Douglas Road.......?

NO

You saw somebody at them last week. !

Engineers fix things.

Don't tell me what I saw, thanks.

evilivor wrote: »
    Don't tell me what I saw, thanks.

Ok you saw
    "ENGINEERS AT THE LIGHTS"
    Big deal.
    There still broken !
    Good "engineers" eh ?

No personal offence to yourself unless you were in charge of these engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

There still fu..ed up.

The roads at that junction in Blackpool don't have equal importance though, the lights are flashing orange for the traffic heading up and down O'Connell St and North Mon RD and they're flashing red for traffic heading up and down Gerald Griffin St and Great William O'Brien St.

I seen engineers there fixing the lights as well, the lights were back working last week, for a little while anyway.

The roads at that junction in Blackpool don't have equal importance though, the lights are flashing orange for the traffic heading up and down O'Connell St and North Mon RD and they're flashing red for traffic heading up and down Gerald Griffin St and Great William O'Brien St.

I seen engineers there fixing the lights as well, the lights were back working last week, for a little while anyway.

The junction was closed on oneside yesterday as ESB Networks were doing major works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

This one is really bugging me. They've been off for well over a year, if not more. I know it's a quiet enough junction, but it has poor visibility in both directions when there are parked cars. You have to pull well out into the junction in order to see cars coming from Carrigaline direction. I'm guessing that at this point they're going to be off for good.

Advertisement