Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket making crackling noise

Options
  • 24-07-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

At our main TV I have a seven socket Belkin Surgemaster with five things plugged into it. It has started to make a crackling noise from time to time today, I think it's the one plug doing it but unsure.

What's occurring here? Safe, unsafe? Simple fix?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Unplug it.

One of the plugs is not connecting properly and the noise is burning, or there was a loose wire in one of the plugs.

When you are replacing it one of the plugs may have burning on it. You will need to change that also as it will only cause the same problem in any socket it is plugged into preventing a good connection.

If the fault is a loose cable in a plugtop you may need to replace the plugtop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Unsafe, potential fire.

Its a loose connection arcing Could be a loose cable in a plug or a loose cable or connection in the socket \ lead.

Unplug them all and look for burn marks. Then replace the plug top and or lead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thanks folks, sounds like the Belkin is the problem as I think the noise came from a different plug there now. It's very intermittent so hard to nail down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I had a similar problem with a double socket that would "crackle" when something was plugged in.It was only one of the wires was loose going into it.All fine now.

Think I'll fire the multi socket on question to a sparky mate, or maybe crack it open myself a scoot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Either the extension lead or the item , the one of five, I understand, could be the culprit. - or both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You might be better off just buying a new one. Those multi plug things are often rubbish and there usually not repairable.

If it's arcing there's a fire risk.

Best solution is return it under warranty if it's under 12 months old or bin it.

There are some really badly made power strips around! I've seen some pretty hair raising examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

SpaceTime wrote: »

There are some really badly made power strips around! I've seen some pretty hair raising examples.

+1.. There are some terrible ones around. Seen more than a few melted and twisted ones.. When it comes to power strips don't skimp..

Cheers lads, had this power thingy about five years now and it wasn't cheap, made by Belkin and looks the part. Will look into it on my return from sunny Aberdeen tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Price doesn't necessarily equate to quality with these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Hey guys, sorry to necro this thread, but I had this issue today, and it looks like my extension has broken (I've tried it in a different socket, and it was the same noise with the light bulb fading and flickering). Pretty sad, as it served for 5 years, had 6 sockets and quite long cable...

anyway, reading here about some bad examples, could someone recommend a quality extension with 5-6 sockets and long cable please? Anyone used this one for instance?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9152708/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTENSION+SWITCH.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

If bought from a reputable retailer it really doesn't matter. That many plugs into a single socket though, not a good idea unless you're very sure of the loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

If bought from a reputable retailer it really doesn't matter.

and what's a reputable retailer? is Argos one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

XVII wrote: »
    and what's a reputable retailer? is Argos one?

A 99c is one. As long as it's a bricks and mortar store that looks like it'll be around for a bit they will have ensured that the stuff they're buying in meets Irish (more likely UK) electrical standards. It's simply not worth the risk of being sued.

It's a bit of plastic with some wire in it, these things are pretty disposable.

Short answer Argos will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

XVII wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry to necro this thread, but I had this issue today, and it looks like my extension has broken (I've tried it in a different socket, and it was the same noise with the light bulb fading and flickering). Pretty sad, as it served for 5 years, had 6 sockets and quite long cable...

anyway, reading here about some bad examples, could someone recommend a quality extension with 5-6 sockets and long cable please? Anyone used this one for instance?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9152708/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTENSION+SWITCH.htm

Might be worth having a good at rewiring the plug before spending money on a new one. Seeing as you have plenty of length on the cable you can afford to cut the plug off and start again with a new plug.

Advertisement