Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay for lads on a boozey weekend

Options
  • 24-07-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been trawling daft.ie looking for short term accommodation for the August Bank holiday.
    Myself and 4 friends are heading down but none of us have been to Waterford City before.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay please.
    Ideally we are looking for a house to rent, we are clean sensible lads but can be noisy so we want to avoid hotels or apartments.

We're also looking for somewhere ideally near the nightlife but appreciate that there won't be many houses so will happily accept having to get short taxi rides.

We would like to avoid renting in dodgy areas though.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Can't imagine many houses would rent just for a weekend but could be wrong! There's always the houses/lodges owned by waterford castle tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Can't imagine many houses would rent just for a weekend but could be wrong! There's always the houses/lodges owned by waterford castle tho ?

Yes I noticed them alright. Would they be much of a drive to the centre of night life?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Once you get off the ferry you should make it into the city centre in 10mins easily

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Yes I noticed them alright. Would they be much of a drive to the centre of night life?

youd have to get the ferry off the island first but less than 10mins drive to city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

clean sensible lads but can be noisy so we want to avoid hotels or apartments.

We're also looking for somewhere ideally near the nightlife but appreciate that there won't be many houses so will happily accept having to get short taxi rides.

This hotel will suit you. Very central: you won't need taxis. Probably more practical than renting a house, too.

For a laugh though, see these:
    http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/fiancee-discovers-truth-about-stag-party-after-hotel-complaint-backfires-on-facebook/
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056709484

• Advertisement

Oh right, wasn't aware a ferry was involved. Probably not the best idea then.

A hotel does seem like the best option but we generally don't go down to great in hotels.
    As I said, we are clean sensible lads but we do drink a lot and we can get very noisy.

Nothing untoward but we all tend to use our outdoor voices once we've had a few and a few would be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

try the maryland hotel if its still open. right in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FeatherFelicis

Best bet guys is the travel lodge on the cork road its cheap cheerful :) no breakfast included thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Best bet guys is the travel lodge on the cork road its cheap cheerful :) no breakfast included thou!

yeah probably that if its going to be gang of lads. tower hotel, granville and bridge hotel all more family suited / quieter hotels.

Is there much of a nightlife in Tramore or is it very family orientated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Bankholiday weekend in Tramore should be busy enough, although it will be more families than anything. The Vic would be a good starting point, especially if the weather is nice, as they have a lovely beer garden. Murphs have bands playing at the weekend, and the Grand Hotel also have bands, and stays open till all hours :)

There's a decent bus service into the city, but you'd have to get a taxi back to Tramore, as the last bus is around 11. Taxi would be around €20-€22 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

it would be grand but not all that, there is a couple good pubs out there, not sure if any late opening ones or nightclubs. Probably worth a trip out there is weather is decent any fancy change of scene. Sure you could do some surf lessons when out there or relive your childhood and have a go on amusements.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

As far as I know the ferry is 24/7 so wouldn't make too much of a difference ..
    If you do end up going for hotel I'd say expect to lose any deposit ye pay on arrival

I'll look into that Thanks.

We aren't a bunch of messers, we just get kind of noisy when we have a few but if we do pick a hotel I can't imagine the staff having any hassle off us, if we had a noise complaint there wouldn't be a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'll look into that Thanks.

We aren't a bunch of messers, we just get kind of noisy when we have a few but if we do pick a hotel I can't imagine the staff having any hassle off us, if we had a noise complaint there wouldn't be a second one.

The Grand Hotel in Tramore have availability for the bank-holiday. www.grand-hotel.ie

If you are looking at booking somewhere in the city, I'd say you'd want to book asap, with the bank-holiday and the Spraoi festival being on in the city, it's going to be busy.

Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Manor Village let out good quality student apartments -- good reputation
    private me for more info

http://www.witcampusservices.ie/accommodation/summer_accommodation.php

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

jennygirl wrote: »
    Manor Village let out good quality student apartments -- good reputation
    private me for more info

http://www.witcampusservices.ie/accommodation/summer_accommodation.php

Saw that advertised last week in the Waterford today I think,
    Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

What about Riverwalk apartments on the ring road. Only a 5/6minute walk to the city centre.

We have a few dodgeball lads coming over that weekend from the uk and they booked there and it was only £70 for a three bed apartment.

Quiet in there this time of the year as it is student accommodation. Could be ideal for yee.
    Hi I've been trawling daft.ie looking for short term accommodation for the August Bank holiday.
    Myself and 4 friends are heading down but none of us have been to Waterford City before.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay please.
    Ideally we are looking for a house to rent, we are clean sensible lads but can be noisy so we want to avoid hotels or apartments.

We would like to avoid renting in dodgy areas though.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If ye are down for the bank holiday its definitely worth checking out some of the Spraoi events

http://www.spraoi.com/

The gigs on the Plaza (quayside) on Saturday and Sunday would be good for a few lads having some boozes especially if the weather is fine in the early evening

• Advertisement
Advertisement