Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy saving bulb blew

Options
  • 24-07-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

I bought an energy saving light bulb there yesterday, not in an electrical store, but a supermarket.I installed it and it worked fine until.......about after 30-45 minutes I noticed a weird dimming coming from it and then it blew with a sort of a bang.It didnt explode or anything just the light went out and stayed off.

I just rang the manufacturer out of curiosity and they could not throw any light on the fault (sorry for the pun:o).They took my name and the store I bought it from and told me to bring it back, which I was going to do anyway and they would give me another.They said that they will get the store to send it back to them to see if there was any fault with it.

Now it may be BS and they have no intention of doing this, but sure anyway, no harm done.Its not a big deal, harley a major consumer issue, but it would be nice to know.Incidentally, the bulb it was replacing was another one with the same maker, though a different shape that was in for a while.I just put that back and it worked, for a brief second:confused: or two but then nothing.

Kinda weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was it connected to a circuit with a dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

No just a regular bedroom switch.

Weird thing, the bulb that I replaced the new one with was not gone at all.Its now working again:eek:.

Unless the light socket has a bad wire going to it and the energy saving bulbs are more sensitive to it......??New one is def gone.....I think

Might not work tomorrow though:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

jimmyw wrote: »
    Weird thing, the bulb that I replaced the new one with was not gone at all.Its now working again:eek:.

Unless the light socket has a bad wire going to it and the energy saving bulbs are more sensitive to it......??New one is def gone.....I think

Might not work tomorrow though:p.

Its neither of these anyway.

Maybe, I have tried that bulb in another socket and a lamp that's down stairs but it never worked, until today when I tried again in the lamp.

I think I may have a ghost in my room playing tricks on me..................................:p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Medieval_ghost.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement