Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BenBulben right of way blocked!

Options
  • 24-07-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I mentioned this on the thread about Knocknarea. There was a write up about in this weeks Champion complete with pictures.

I don't know what the story behind the blocking, who by or the reason behind it.
    However, this type of thing has a very adverse effect on our tourism industry which is needed now more than ever.

There's a short questionnaire available for filling and sending to the Co Co with details of your experiences climbing in the past.
    It's available for download on the BenBulben Farm facebook page. Facebook likes are no good. The form must be sent to the Council.

I have no connection with this business, I just feel strongly about this type of idiocy. I do live in the general area and love it too much to sit back and do nothing!

Please help!

https://www.facebook.com/BenbulbenFarmhouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Seen this on facebook, would be sad to see this closed off, filled out form myself and told a few people about it, hopefully the word spreads and this gets quashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Good man rizzodun, hope many more follow.

There has now been a facebook group set up, where you can download the required questionnaire, hopefully this will help get a few more in and keep the access open

Save Benbulben Right Of Way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Does anybody know who or why this road has been blocked off, and why is it only now that this action has been taken??

A farmer blocked it. Apparently claims it's his! Only happened recently, well I only heard about it recently.
    It's a stone road so no good for grazing. Beggars belief really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I thought this track was always blocked. Or maybe I am thinking of a different track. There is loads of private property signs on various entrance gates to fields in the area around the mountain.

The particular track in question, I don't remember seeing a sign in place before but I always assumed it was private property.

This road never had a sign on it. Was used by farmers, hill walkers, hunters etc. for longer than anyone locally can remember without hindrance. There was a gate just as you entered onto the mountain (commonage) alright but that was to keep sheep from straying down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

What was/is the story with the walk from Dorins Strand around the shoreline to the beach at Kilaspugbron? Now blocked off. There used to be a stile that you could climb over. That's now gated.

I appreciate that the lands adjacent are privately owned, but surely the shoreline has public rights of way? Yet access is impossible due to fencing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Farmer should be named and shamed

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Farmer should be named and shamed

I doubt that'll make much of a difference, he'll just claim it's his land, or allowing access to his land anyway, best bet is fill out the relevant forms and send in to the council, they should be able to re-open access if enough people object, hopefully.

• Advertisement

Agreed rizzodun. Causing animosity or acrimony among neighbours is the wrong way. I'd assume that's what the people behind the questionnaire are mindful of.

Advertisement