Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Prezzis- What's in for 2013?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

This thread is for all the fads/fashions/new things that will be BIG on the present list for 2013- either let us know of new trendy gadgets that you think will be popular or even just your own wish list of stuff you'd love.

Myself, wouldn't mind one of these helicopters, a snip at under $50 :D

http://best-christmas-gifts.toptenreviews.com/helo-tc-assault-review.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

A new laptop!!
    Looking at a Toshiba C855.
    And of course the new fifa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

PS4 & Xbox One will be out in November so will be the big thing this year.

Bet touch screen/iPad/tablet thingys will be bleedin massive this year- lots of supermarkets selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Bet touch screen/iPad/tablet thingys will be bleedin massive this year- lots of supermarkets selling them.
    Trying to keep my kids away from them tbh. They just foster pure laziness and kill creativity.
    One of my kids got one and he's like a crack addict when off it. Literally does nothing off screen if you know what i mean. All his off screen time is spent talking about what he did on screen. What a waste. I cant wait for it to break.
    But every kid is different.

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    Trying to keep my kids away from them tbh. They just foster pure laziness and kill creativity.
    One of my kids got one and he's like a crack addict when off it. Literally does nothing off screen if you know what i mean. All his off screen time is spent talking about what he did on screen. What a waste. I cant wait for it to break.
    But every kid is different.

You know what? There's a lot of wisdom in what you just said there. Touch screens are very much the way forward in terms of computers but there are huge downsides. I don't think we've seen the effects yet but they will have an affect on how the brain operates.

You know what? There's a lot of wisdom in what you just said there. Touch screens are very much the way forward in terms of computers but there are huge downsides. I don't think we've seen the effects yet but they will have an affect on how the brain operates.

Thanks.
    To further what i said i have to say that they also don't look at their lego anymore. They used to literally swim in it but now the eldest lad didn't actually touch it for a month recently. I was counting. He used to build savage stuff and would be lost in it for hours. But then the tablet arrived and he almost never touched it again. His brothers are not so bad but the lego still hardly gets touched. Its too easy to build what you want on minecraft you see. Infinite colours etc. With lego you have to put up with whatever you have. I'd need tens of thousands worth of lego to keep up with that. Not possible.
    Lego isnt everything of course but it does foster patience, something an lcd screen will never foster.
    Kids sitting on their hole tapping screens is not good and too many parents dont see that. All they see is little johnny being quiet. I see him being quiet too but its at the expense of physical activity etc etc. Kids need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

shedweller wrote: »
    Thanks.
    To further what i said i have to say that they also don't look at their lego anymore. They used to literally swim in it but now the eldest lad didn't actually touch it for a month recently. I was counting. He used to build savage stuff and would be lost in it for hours. But then the tablet arrived and he almost never touched it again. His brothers are not so bad but the lego still hardly gets touched. Its too easy to build what you want on minecraft you see. Infinite colours etc. With lego you have to put up with whatever you have. I'd need tens of thousands worth of lego to keep up with that. Not possible.
    Lego isnt everything of course but it does foster patience, something an lcd screen will never foster.
    Kids sitting on their hole tapping screens is not good and too many parents dont see that. All they see is little johnny being quiet. I see him being quiet too but its at the expense of physical activity etc etc. Kids need that.

I can see where you coming from but touchscreen devices are the way forward I'm afraid. In a few years most secondary school will have them instead of books.
    Lego isn't exactly physical activity to be fair. If you want your kids to have some send them outside to play/join a club with them. Also hide the charger for the tablet if you want them to cut back.

I can see where you coming from but touchscreen devices are the way forward I'm afraid. In a few years most secondary school will have them instead of books.
    Lego isn't exactly physical activity to be fair. If you want your kids to have some send them outside to play/join a club with them. Also hide the charger for the tablet if you want them to cut back.

Lol. We actually do hide the charger! We have to listen to the wailing then. God help me if all my kids have them because the house will transform into some sort of IT centre! All other toy will be left there and pretty much never played with again too. I've seen that with the first lad and I spend my time listening to him say he's bored. All he wants is to get back on the tablet and will not do anything until he does. I've heard other parents say the same thing too so i'm not alone on this.

Is there some kind of timer app i could get that shuts off the tablet after a time?

Re: tablets instead of school books. I see that happening also but i wonder about how long they'll last in the school environment. I suppose the e-readers might be more suitable given that they are less tech heavy than tablets??

Anyway, im dragging this off topic. Thats enough moaning about tablets from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not messing here. But you can never go wrong with good quality socks. Even as an... erm...., sock filler.

And I'm not even (that) old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I'll be getting my OH the box set of Breaking Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was going to get my Dad the Sir Alex book but my brother nabbed it first! Any other sporting bios out for Christmas?

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Was going to get my Dad the Sir Alex book but my brother nabbed it first! Any other sporting bios out for Christmas?

Ronnie O'Sullivans biog is out if he's a snooker fan?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Autobiography-Ronnie-OSullivan/dp/0752898809/ref=sr_1_6/278-3974660-9815824?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383771728&sr=1-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Thanks, that might be a runner. He is more into rugby or horse racing. Maybe the Johnny Sexton one. Appreciate the reply.

Not messing here. But you can never go wrong with good quality socks. Even as an... erm...., sock filler.

And I'm not even (that) old.

Now tell me this- if you get socks on Christmas morning, how will you feel? Honestly:D

Now if theyre angora wool or something then great but a pack of polyesters doesn't do it for me:P

ps4 and Mario 3d world

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Now tell me this- if you get socks on Christmas morning, how will you feel? Honestly:D

Now if theyre angora wool or something then great but a pack of polyesters doesn't do it for me:P

That is why I said top quality :D. Not really a big present man, I have most of the crap I need. Socks though, always need them :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I ever get Micky Dolenz in a boards Secret Santa, I'm sorted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That is why I said top quality :D. Not really a big present man, I have most of the crap I need. Socks though, always need them :D

I agree. I love getting socks as presents. I hate buying them for myself because I always feel like I'm wasting money (even though they're essential) so when I get them as a gift it's doubly good because I don't have to go buy them myself. Plus I always end up going for the crap cheap ones and I never get crap cheap ones as a present. I got 3 packs for my birthday though and my sock drawer is completely full so I don't think I need them this Christmas.

I agree. I love getting socks as presents. I hate buying them for myself because I always feel like I'm wasting money (even though they're essential) so when I get them as a gift it's doubly good because I don't have to go buy them myself. Plus I always end up going for the crap cheap ones and I never get crap cheap ones as a present. I got 3 packs for my birthday though and my sock drawer is completely full so I don't think I need them this Christmas.

OK, so, back on topic, "socks" (expensive ones) are "in" for 2013:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im getting codes etc for my new site for promotions and record release aswell as the annual after shave , post shave balm wash up gear and socks and boxers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,808 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Socks, jocks, golf gloves and balls.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tablets seem to be huge.
    The kids are getting their dad a digital photo frame.
    With all the wonderful suggestions I should probably get him socks;))
    I want a Nexus 5 and a Kenwood chef but would probably settle for anything:)
    Barbie and Winx club and other such things seem to be in too but I don't think barbie ever goes away.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I feel bad for all the kids who want a PS4 or Xbox One this year, I know they're pretty scant off the production line in Santa's workshop and I don't think he's going to be able to get one to everyone which is a bummer!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The kids are getting their dad a digital photo frame.
    Have they got it already? I got one a few years ago and it's gathering dust?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no they haven't ,I was going to ask if anyone knew of a good relatively inexpensive one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

A doll and a drum and a kick up the bum. ...And a laptop.

Advertisement