Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

359582.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Second.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Hi

Yesssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Has suarez gone yet?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I predict this will be the feelgood thread of the year
    roflcopter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Get in.

Has suarez gone yet?

HE'S GONE !

for breakfast, Aussie time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

On the subject of the Suarez release clause IMO If Guardiola allowed his client to sign a contract with a clause so vague as to have multiple interpretations he is the one who should be fired regardless of which interpretation turns out to be legally binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

(sorry lads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Subbed, for teh lolz of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Shiny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

net spend. bring Back rafa. i wish Him Well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'd like to punch Suarez in the goddamn neck. Disgrace to his club and profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

delw wrote: »
    Shiny :)

Yeah. Let's wreck it!

BMJD wrote: »
    I'd like to punch Suarez in the goddamn neck.

tumblr_mjmuucip9K1r0pyopo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is Suarez a Gooner yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

efb wrote: »
    Is Suarez a Gooner yet?

Soon to be a goner but not a gooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

This is about to get messy.Suarez and his agent have interpreted his contract in one way and Liverpool see it differently.How on earth can this even happen.

If he goes to Arsenal i will be 100 times more gutted than i was when Torres went to Chelsea.It's like we seem to be talking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Everyone has been going on about how no one is irreplaceable and how well Liverpool have done over the years when it comes to replacing our best players,but i think in our current standing and whats available out there he kind of is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Yurt wrote: »
    This is about to get messy.Suarez and his agent have interpreted his contract in one way and Liverpool see it differently.How on earth can this even happen.

Because one party is deliberately misinterpreting the clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

7b5345661.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Andy Carroll

Horse-Exercise-Ball-Fail.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

net spend. bring Back rafa. i wish Him Well

Best bit of business Rodgers has done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

In ACTUAL news, the U21s beat Glentoran yesterday, great assist by McLaughlin (again) for Peterson. Looks like a close and competitive game.

Shame there is no commentary, don't know who all the players were unless you can make out their numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

dfx- wrote: »
    This thread should see transfer deadline day, enjoy/hide behind the sofa - delete as applicable

previous thread here

You're the optimistic one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Benimar wrote: »
    You're the optimistic one :D

Isn't he? I give it 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Higuain to Napoli is seemingly done.

now we will see if Madrid actually want Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I can understand Suarez wanting CL football, all top players do, but how does wanting to move to Arsenal tie in with:-

1. His professed love of always dreaming as a kid about playing for LFC?
    2. His claim that he needs to leave the UK because of the way he's being hounded by the press?

If he truly had any love (or even respect) for LFC he'd stay and help get us into the CL next year but if he feels he can't wait or (more likely) that Man U, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs have the CL spots nailed down between them then surely a move to a CL team in Spain or Germany would be the best move for both him and LFC?

If he moves to Arsenal he's only going to intensify the press focus on himself and God knows he has a bad track record of not dealing with that very well. I'm actually a bit surprised Wegner is prepared to allow such a loose cannon into the Arsenal setup, despite his amazing talent.

I really don't get this whole Suarez/Arsenal thing and hope we don't sell him to them as it will more or less guarantee them 4th spot next year at our expense!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Isn't he? I give it 3 weeks.

3 weeks of absolute horsesh1t! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

BenThere wrote: »
    I can understand Suarez wanting CL football, all top players do, but how does wanting to move to Arsenal tie in with:-

1. His professed love of always dreaming as a kid about playing for LFC?
    2. His claim that he needs to leave the UK because of the way he's being hounded by the press?

If he truly had any love (or even respect) for LFC he'd stay and help get us into the CL next year but if he feels he can't wait or (more likely) that Man U, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs have the CL spots nailed down between them then surely a move to a CL team in Spain or Germany would be the best move for both him and LFC?

If he moves to Arsenal he's only going to intensify the press focus on himself and God knows he has a bad track record of not dealing with that very well. I'm actually a bit surprised Wegner is prepared to allow such a loose cannon into the Arsenal setup, despite his amazing talent.

I really don't get this whole Suarez/Arsenal thing and hope we don't sell him to them as it will more or less guarantee them 4th spot next year at our expense!!

Ben

Supposedly he didn't pick Liverpool all the time on the playstation.

He alternated between Liverpool, Madrid and Arsenal.

the easiest way to understand how Suarez, and footballers of his ilk, think, is to assume that the majority of stuff that comes out of his mouth is complete bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BenThere wrote: »

To the first part of this, we haven't done near enough to make us contenders for 4th next season. We have a very small chance of qualifying as it stands.

For the second, maybe there just isn't actual interest beyond Arsenal? Plus, all players think they're the best in the world. Suarez probably thinks that if he plays his ass off while surrounded by Arsenal's superior collection of players they might be able to win the CL or that they'll have a shot at the very least.

I certainly think Arsenal with Suarez would be a serious proposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

SlickRic wrote: »
    the easiest way to understand how Suarez, and footballers of his ilk, think, is to assume that the majority of stuff that comes out of his mouth is complete bollocks.

It was the same with Torres and is apparent love for Liverpool
    It will be the same with Coutinho if he has a really good season or two. Whats to stop him wanting to leave for brighter pastures?
    Better Get used to it I reckon

if he is interested in Arsenal, i do wonder if he said that shíte about the media harrassing his family because he assumed no club in England would want him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

if he is interested in Arsenal, i do wonder if he said that shíte about the media harrassing his family because he assumed no club in England would want him?

I'd imagine he assumed he'd have better offers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Are these new quotes?
    "If Arsenal want the player they have to produce the value for the player," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo.
    "There was an offer a few weeks ago of £35m and two weeks later it is now £40m and £1. I don't think it is anywhere near the value of what he is worth.
    "It is two-fold really. A player may want to go, but then somebody has to pay the value or worth of that player."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

As long as your club has to finance a big capital project – like the stadium – without the CL revenues to help you guys will be vulnerable to having your best players’ sold to clubs who’ve got available funds.
    It’s what happened to arsenal since we built the emirates. It could well happen to Liverpool. It’s the short term price of positioning the clubs for greater match day revenue. Maybe that’s just how I see it, and if it does happen like that for Liverpool then I have great sympathy for you lads.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd imagine he assumed he'd have better offers

and he'll probably blame the media if he doesn't get any better offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Interesting article here - makes you wonder if there was some confusion on Suarez's agents side about the exact terms and they may have dropped the ball on it, now there using as much spin as possible to get him out of it.

Liverpool confidence over Luis Suárez's contract hints at confusion from Uruguayan's advisers
    By Graham Shear, leading sports lawyer with Berwin Leighton Paisner

Normally, a player at one English club cannot speak to another without written consent until after the third Saturday in May in the last year of his playing contract.
    But players are able to negotiate all sorts of clauses into a contract, from straight release clauses to those which allow them to speak to other clubs earlier.
    So Liverpool could have written into the contract that if an offer comes in over £40 million, then Suárez has the right to talk to the club involved, in this case Arsenal.
    That would allow Arsenal to determine whether he actually wants to join them and whether they are able to agree personal terms.
    But that does not mean that Liverpool will agree or be obliged to actually transfer him or terminate his playing contract early.

What Suárez and his agent may have done is got confused between the Spanish system and the English system.
    If Suárez had been playing for, say, Atlético Madrid and he wanted a release from his contract (as is normal in Spain), he would have written in that he has the right to buy himself out for say £40 million. The buying club then pays him to do that and the payment is effectively redirected to Atlético. In England, transfer fees are paid directly between clubs.
    It is possible that Liverpool were very specific with Suárez and his representatives when they agreed his most recent contract.
    A lot of it is to do with the drafting, which has to be very precise. For example, you could try to write into your contract that it would be foreshortened by, say, two years in the event that your club does not qualify for Champions League football.
    However, clubs do not like the idea of players become free agents at the end of a particular season, so they could try to make the release clause conditional on a transfer bid coming in on specific terms above a certain amount.
    This is where the drafting becomes quite complicated and you need to be careful about how it is constructed. Release clauses were pretty unusual in English football 10 or more years ago.
    If you go back pre-2004, the Premier League money was less. As the amount of on- and off-the-pitch income has gone up, and as clubs’ desire to employ a player at the peak of his form has increased, release clauses haver become more and more common. I have seen it quite a lot over the last few years but I tend to deal with particularly high-value players.
    Footballers’ contracts do not have too many odd clauses – unlike those in the music business. What you sometimes get are football versions of moral turpitude clauses, especially where the player might have a particular history.
    Occasionally, there are provisions for houses, for payment of rent for an extended period, signing-on fees, and customised loyalty bonuses.
    There are also now image-rights structures, how they blend in, how you apportion image rights between the club and player. But nothing particularly fancy.
    Graham Shear, LDR Partner and Head of Sport at international law firm Berwin Leighton Paisner, worked on the Ashley Cole tapping-up case in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's because he thought a Real move was nailed on. Arsenal have disrupted a late lowball Real offer.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I certainly think Arsenal with Suarez would be a serious proposition.

I don't. Still questionable at GK, FB and CM (when Wilshere is out, which is often). Good attack in Cazorla, Walcott and Podolski, which he would be a good spearhead for, but they are MILES behind City, Chelsea and United in terms of overall quality.

You think they will go from no trophies in 8 years to serious contenders with one signing, when that signing isn't Messi??

bad2dabone wrote: »
    As long as your club has to finance a big capital project – like the stadium – without the CL revenues to help you guys will be vulnerable to having your best players’ sold to clubs who’ve got available funds.
    It’s what happened to arsenal since we built the emirates. It could well happen to Liverpool. It’s the short term price of positioning the clubs for greater match day revenue. Maybe that’s just how I see it, and if it does happen like that for Liverpool then I have great sympathy for you lads.

To an extent, that is true. But we are not building a new stadium from scratch (in London) and lining it with Gold like Arsenal did. We also have a stronger commercial revenue base. So we won't be anywhere near as deep in the hole...

spockety wrote: »
    Are these new quotes?

Yes, came out last evening, from the post-match I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So assuming Suarez is going to take legal action as suggested to get his move, should he be sold for around the £35/40m mark to real, or forced to stay?

As much as I'd hate to see him go for less then £50m, he can't play for the club if he's taking legal action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Dickerty wrote: »
    I don't. Still questionable at GK, FB and CM (when Wilshere is out, which is often). Good attack in Cazorla, Walcott and Podolski, which he would be a good spearhead for, but they are MILES behind City, Chelsea and United in terms of overall quality.

You think they will go from no trophies in 8 years to serious contenders with one signing, when that signing isn't Messi??

Brings it home just how far away we are, we're already way behind Arsenal, possibly about to sell them our best player, putting us at least another couple of season's progress further behind them, and yet they in turn are miles behind the Big 3.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just feel a bit more depressed now. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As an Arsenal fan selling RVP to United last year was horrible. We finished just behind them but given that there was 19 points between us I had enough cop on to know we weren't direct rivals and it was a step up for him.

Now there was only 12 points between Liverpool and Arsenal this season but there was also two other teams in the way.

Admittedly Everton might drop off a bit without Moyes but all I see from Spurs is strengthening and improvement.

I really don't get how Liverpool fans see themselves as realistic competitors to Arsenal who have not had to reinvent themselves for the first summer in years and are looking to spend big. Surely Arsenal will improve on their points total from the last couple of seasons.

And I don't see Liverpool's route to fourth spot given that they're relatively standing still this season and the positive chatter is about how good Raheem Sterling might be.

This isn't a dig. I think Rodgers is a good manager and given time will build an excellent team but the key is time. Over a few years, he'll pick up enough good players on the cheap to take Liverpool up to the next level but I can't see it being this year. You just don't have the players.

I can get that you see Arsenal as the weakest of the current top four but you need a collapse from them that's never happened, and we're in better shape going into this season than ages. As well as this you need Everton to stand still or regress and Spurs to fall away despite spending done decent money on improvements. And all this without really adding to your squad and missing your best player for probably up to a quarter of the season in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They finished a handful of points behind Chelsea last season though and not sure how you can call any element of the best defense in the league over the last few months even with a lot of GK problems questionable. Arteta is very underrated for what he did last season and they may look to further strengthen the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

What Suarez and his agent are doing are basically acting the pr*ck. All this talk of they misinterpreted the contract etc is bullsh*t. He is a football agent....this is what they do. They would have had their legal team look over it as would Liverpool. They would all be well aware of what was and wasnt in it.

Its basically posturing and PR and trying to get out of the contract which they have done before. If he wants to go just hand in a transfer request. I 100% think they have no interest in Arsenal anyway and its all a part of the bigger game to get to Madrid which will happen soon I'm sure.

Suarez is a truly world class player IMO, in the top 5 players in the world and we will be seriously worse off without him. Its a real pity he is going about it the way he is, there are other ways of doing things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think people are overplaying the argument about the perceived distance between clubs.

Statements such as "if we sell Suarez to Arsenal then it will put them ahead of us for 5 years". Read "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER". We're all going to die, etc.

Football is not that black and white, and glory or otherwise can hinge on luck, injuries to a specific player, and mysterious forces which can bind to make a seemingly average group of players a collective bunch of world beaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Defensively Arsenal we're excellent in the second half of the season hence the 2nd best defensive record in the league. GK wise Wojciech still has a way to go before he's top class but he certainly isn't a million miles away from his peers of De Gea, Hart, Cech and Lloris, all of whom had their difficulties last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement