Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

daithijjj wrote: »
    Soldado to Spurs?, just think about all those lovely wages we will save by not signing him!!!, win win for me.

We need to sign someone though, we're not even getting mentioned in the gossip pages anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Kess73 wrote: »
    But I don't. I disagree with some of what he says, and I agree with some of what he comes out with.

If I thought him overly negative or boring, I would simply not bother to attempt to engage with him.

Didn't say you always think he's overly negative or that he isn't a worthwhile poster Kess (I agree with him on a number of points such as his stance on Reina), my point was more the way you both handle things when your suppositions are questioned, whereas you ,diplomatically as possible, tell them they are wrong and the reasons why , Lloyd tends to lambast and insult any opinion other then his own as being deluded.

Hope that clarifies where I'm coming from . I have no problem being told I'm wrong , what I ,and I'm sure others have, is a problem with being called deluded for harboring even the slightest smidgin of optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Liverpool FC‏@LFCFootyNews1m
    Gerrard, Ayre and Rodgers in Bangkok, Thailand. #LFC
    BQB1KscCYAAUyi1.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Vicxas wrote: »
    We need to sign someone though, we're not even getting mentioned in the gossip pages anymore :(

Lets hope the signings we made so far (who for me, were never destined to start unless we sold players) doesn't impact on our ability to bring in those to improve the first XI. I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Id like to think Rodgers/Ayre are not just working on the Suarez situation. Id imagine with all the press his move out is getting its taking the focus off other deals that may be going on in the background.
    The press are having a field day with Suarez/Fabregas/Bale etc ... so lets hope they get the business done while they feed off those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Strange alright. Maybe now they have the Suarez/Arsenal story to write about, they don't have to invent transfer targets to fill their columns with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

To be fair there is an awful lot of time left in the transfer window.

Whats the latest on Cissokho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So where are we at?

League opener in 3 weeks & we're still short the two proven first 11 players everyone universally agreed that we needed.

Add in the fact the Suarez saga is rumbling on with it looking increasingly likely he'll be heading to Arsenal. The team we want to catch. Not looking good folks.

So two quality first team players & a replacement for Suarez if/when he leaves needed.

3 weeks until the season kicks off.
    5 weeks until the window closes.
    People talking about loads of time left? I really don't think so. Time is ticking. And fast. Add in that I can't remember the last time we signed a decent player without us hearing about it for weeks before hand & it looks even worse cause as has been pointed out, us being properly linked with any decent players this window has been a relatively rare occurrence.

Anyone getting worried yet or is everything still all sunshine & lollipops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

GBX wrote: »
    Id like to think Rodgers/Ayre are not just working on the Suarez situation. Id imagine with all the press his move out is getting its taking the focus off other deals that may be going on in the background.
    The press are having a field day with Suarez/Fabregas/Bale etc ... so lets hope they get the business done while they feed off those.

To be fair, I don't envy Ayre and co.

They have the whole Suarez thing to sort which is a job in itself, plot his replacements for when he does leave, and sign other players that are independent of Suarez leaving.

Along with all the other stuff they deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think after him being arrested clubs are giving him a wide berth

Had completely forgotten about that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So where are we at?

League opener in 3 weeks & we're still short the two proven first 11 players everyone universally agreed that we needed.

Add in the fact the Suarez saga is rumbling on with it looking increasingly likely he'll be heading to Arsenal. The team we want to catch. Not looking good folks.

So two quality first team players & a replacement for Suarez if/when he leaves needed.

3 weeks until the season kicks off.
    5 weeks until the window closes.
    People talking about loads of time left? I really don't think so. Time is ticking. And fast. Add in that I can't remember the last time we signed a decent player without us gearing about it for weeks before hand & it looks even worse cause as has been pointed out, us being properly linked with any decent players this window has been a relatively rare occurrence.

Anyone getting worried yet or is everything still all sunshine & lollipops?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnP_9kFR3FUVRqR3Bq68Mp98HGn42uaudI0N8N2rk22nxVFHr1

Pedalstool wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnP_9kFR3FUVRqR3Bq68Mp98HGn42uaudI0N8N2rk22nxVFHr1

Shut up Tweak!

But I agree, the list of quality players that are well enough known is getting thinner and of less quality.

Does anyone know of any dark horses languishing in Seria A or the Bundesliga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Our signings don't inspire a huge amount of confidence, thus far. We haven't seemed to have had a plan B after Mkhitaryan, and worry is setting in deeper each day, with me.

We definitely won't be getting into the top 4 with the current squad. Look at what we're competing with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought I read somewhere earlier that Remy is doing medicals and the whatnot at Newcastle today.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Our signings don't inspire a huge amount of confidence, thus far. We haven't seemed to have had a plan B after Mkhitaryan, and worry is setting in deeper each day, with me.

We definitely won't be getting into the top 4 with the current squad. Look at what we're competing with.

Don't replace Suarez properly & top 10 might be a more realistic goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

This could be just attention seeking stuff, I've no idea but this is the guy (@MartinCharquero) who did the one to one interview with Suarez a while back in which he talked about the press, Madrid etc. The original interview with him. He says he has been texting Luis.
    A Journalist of Uruguay (@MartinCharquero) text a SMS for Luis Suarez: "Luis, are you reading newspapers?"

The answer was: "Yes, sometimes, and I laugh a lot about the things they invent. I'm a Liverpool player"

More of Luis: "I'm not stupid, I need to leave England. Here I can't live any more in a comfortably way."

If i go to Arsenal nothing will change, and the fans of Liverpool will hate me"

"It's about leaving England or staying Liverpool, going to Arsenal is not a good choice"

On @MostarLFC timeline on twitter.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Don't replace Suarez properly & top 10 might be a more realistic goal.

We need to hold on to Suarez and get an accomplished central playmaker that is comfortable high up the pitch and can link our midfield to our attack and hopefully offer a goal threat for me to have any optimism going into next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

opr wrote: »
    This could be just attention seeking stuff, I've no idea but this is the guy (@MartinCharquero) who did the one to one interview with Suarez a while back in which he talked about the press, Madrid etc. The original interview with him. He says he has been texting Luis.
    Opr

posted 3 days ago on Metro
    Luis Suarez could be on the brink of joining Arsenal, with speculation intensifying over the Liverpool striker’s future.

Suarez has made no secret of his desire to quit Anfield this summer and has been linked with a host of clubs including Chelsea, Real Madrid and the Gunners.

But according to South American journalist Martin Charquero, who is believed to be close to the Uruguayan international following a series of interviews, Suarez is on the verge of a dramatic move to the Emirates Stadium.

Charquero tonight posted on Twitter: ‘Luis Suarez is very close to Arsenal’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

English football is most challenging in the world...its like the Wild .
    Here owners sometime complain about agents but...it's difficult to know who represents whom in English football.

Above is from John Henry.

I wonder if he is the same as Suarez and wants out of Liverpool and England as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Anyone else surprised that Arsenal are the only club that have formally bid for Suarez, or that even seem interested in him ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Anyone else surprised that Arsenal are the only club that have formally bid for Suarez, or that even seem interested in him ?

I'm more surprises that it IS Arsenal.

No, it's July 25th. Why bid so early and get into a bidding war?

Still early days.

Not a lot of clubs will go for that fee.

Also, despite his talents I think the extra baggage and controversy he creates may put some clubs off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

murpho999 wrote: »
    Above is from John Henry.

He just gave Dustin Pedroia (red sox 2nd baseman) a $110million contract extension this week. I'd hope there's an offer on the table for suarez to stay. Not saying extension but bump up his wage a little an a sign on bonus.

I know that's likely unpopular here but I expect a wage increase and bonus in my job every year. I'm not the Liverpool accountant, I'm a fan, so I care more about him staying than his wage bill.

I just can't see him staying without extra incentive. Bump the wage and insert an actual must sell release clause if we finish below top 4. I think if there's no CL qualification again we can't blame home leaving. To do it now leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

But hey, maybe that was exactly what happened last summer...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes no maybe. I think the price/notoriety combination simply means clubs are looking elsewhere - as we've seen there are other options. No one really needs Suarez is the fact of the matter - except Liverpool and he doesn't want to play for us. Even Arsenal could easily look elsewhere - I think Wenger seems to regard Suarez as a test of manhood or something. Like landing a shark if you wear a medallion.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No, it's July 25th. Why bid so early and get into a bidding war?

If Arsenal tie up the deal then its done, doesnt matter what date it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What might put off some clubs is the 6 matches he will miss, plus probably whatever happens during the season, which could mean him missing 25% of it.

A great player though.

Would that ban of his apply outside of the EPL ?

If Arsenal tie up the deal then its done, doesnt matter what date it is

They'll onlt tie up the deal if they pay the price though, which I'll be suprised if they do.

Arsenal spening £50m + on a player? Doubtful

• Advertisement

Would that ban of his apply outside of the EPL ?

Nah it was set by the FA, not FIFA

ebbsy wrote: »
    What might put off some clubs is the 6 matches he will miss, plus probably whatever happens during the season, which could mean him missing 25% of it.

A great player though.

I don't think most would be put off by the 6 matches as that is football, and is similar to an injury lay off.

It's more about why he's missing 6 games in my opinion.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm more surprises that it IS Arsenal.

Thats a fair point. It must be '**** or get off the pot' time for Wenger at Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm not that surprised.

We probably value him more than any other club who could buy him, as we can not buy someone else like him but they can. If that makes sense.

Like I think it's totally prudent and reasonable of the club to ask for £50m (or more) but I could totally understand why Arsenal fans, for example, would think that a grossly inflated figure.

But yeah I would have expected maybe some of the 'new money' teams to whom money isn't much of an issue, to come sniffing around.

Also I would have expected Madrid's interest to be more concrete than it has been so far, as I felt that CF (along with RB) was maybe a position in their team you would feel they don't have a 'world class' player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nah it was set by the FA, not FIFA

Barton was forced to serve his ban when he moved to Marseille

£50m for Suarez from Arsenal should not be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Madrid will come sniffing at the 11th hour in the hope of taking him on the cheap. Liverpool will no doubt have a decision to make at this stage, keep a very unhappy player or accept a deal for a lesser sum to allow him move to the continent and not directly strengthen a rival
    Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm not that surprised.

We probably value him more than any other club who could buy him, as we can not buy someone else like him but they can. If that makes sense.

Like I think it's totally prudent and reasonable of the club to ask for £50m (or more) but I could totally understand why Arsenal fans, for example, would think that a grossly inflated figure.

But yeah I would have expected maybe some of the 'new money' teams to whom money isn't much of an issue, to come sniffing around.

Also I would have expected Madrid's interest to be more concrete than it has been so far, as I felt that CF (along with RB) was maybe a position in their team you would feel they don't have a 'world class' player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Even the most optimistic fans would consider Chelsea and the two Manchesters out of reach at the minute.

I think Liverpool are a still a nice bit behind both Arsenal and Spurs at the minute. I don't think Liverpool's starting 11 is 100 miles off Arsenal and Spurs quality wise, but I think the gap becomes apparent when you look at the squad depth. Our rivals have the likes of Rosicky, Diaby, Dempsey, Lennon, Holtby, Dempsey, Sigurdsson to look to. Alot of these players would make the Liverpool starting 11. However, when Rodgers looks to his bench, he has mediocre players like Downing and youngsters like Sterling, Ibe and Sterling to call on. Strongest starting 11's and squad players of note below.

I have not accounted for transfers that may occur between now and the end of the window, suspensions or injuries.

Liverpool:

Mignolet

Johnson--Toure--Agger--Enrique

Lucas--Gerrard

Aspas
    Coutinho----Suarez

Sturridge

Squad players:
    Skrtel
    Coates
    Wisdom
    Kelly
    Henderson
    Alberto
    Allen
    Sterling
    Assaidi
    Ibe
    Downing
    Borini

Spurs:

Lloris

Walker--Dawson--Vertonghen--Ekotto

Sandro--Parker

Chadli
    Paulinho----Bale

Defoe

Squad players:
    Friedel
    Caulker
    Naughton
    Kaboul
    Rose
    Dempsey
    Sigurdsson
    Lennon
    Townsend
    Livermore
    Holtby
    Adebayor

Arsenal:

Schezny

Sagna--Mertesacker--Koscienly--Monreal

Wilshere--Arteta

Walcott
    Cazorla----Podolski

Giroud

Squad players:
    Vermaelen
    Jenkinson
    Ramsey
    Chamberlain
    Rosicky
    Diaby
    Chamakh
    Sanogo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The next step is to see if Luis Suarez hands in a transfer request or not.

That would get the ball rolling and allow other teams to bid on him. Would really like to see him stay another season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Don't care what should be or what might be.

I asked you what your minimum expectations were for the coming season, same as you asked me for mine last May.

Not asking what the club's expectations should be, I am asking for what is the minimum end season result that you expect to see come the end of May 2014.

But that's kind of pointless. And I'm not dodging, it's just there is:

- where I think we should be
    - where I think we are

with the squad we have right now relative to our challengers my realistic minimum expectation is ~50 - 55 points and 7th - 9th with nothing achieved in the cups. That's my take. I think we needed to do something this window.
    Anyone wrote: »
    Our signings haven't even played a competitive game yet for Liverpool and you are already saying they are no improvement......

How much of an improvement can Mignolet, Toure, Aspas and Alberto be?!!
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    There's a difference. A few of the names you mentioned very well might have reservations about the current strategy off and/or on the pitch, but they aren't so utterly blinded by agendas or the like that they refuse to see any positives as well, or feel the need to insult fellow supporters consistently.

Oh, and you forgot your pal Rossie too.

On the insult thing, it's hard to be calm and cool when you get attacked constantly for holding a minority view. I think I do okay in not completely losing it by times!

As for this 'Agenda' bull****, yes I have an agenda - I think the club is badly under performing and is lacking in terms of front office personnel, manager and playing staff. But that agenda will disappear the minute we start competing again.

I don't need us to be winning league titles or champions league, I just want us to be in the mix!! I was satisfied with 2011 / 12 remember because the season was relevant through May. During the Rafa years I was on here arguing with the likes of Ardent and Slingerz who thought it wasn't enough because we weren't winning league titles. I'm not that hard to please, it's just mid table irrelevancy and a competitive season ended in February is awfully unacceptable. My agenda will wipe away the minute we start playing matches that matter deep into the season or seem to be making real proper strides towards achieving same.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Every time a thread gets filled up with hysterical sack the manager bollocks, i pay an amry of trolls to fill it up so we can start the whole sorry circle again.

Sacking the manager hasn't been raised the past couple of days. We know Rodgers will be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

hefferboi wrote: »
    You don't think he has an agenda though? He's already stated a few pages back that he didn't even give Rodgers 1 match to prove himself. And he was making references that he thinks Hodgson is a better manager.

A negative opinion or just an agenda?

I've been upfront about not thinking he was deserving of the job. I don't waste time with the 'oh we have to get behind and see' attitude to new managers or players.

The comparison with Hodgson was a mere reminder that Rodgers hasn't achieved anything yet so the assumed notion that he is a better manager doesn't stand up and won't for a while yet.

If Rodgers starts winning football matches that matter consistently I'll be more than happy to recant on my views. If FSG get us back in the mix I'll be more than happy to kiss their proverbial WASP behinds. Results - something we didn't get last year or in the last four transfer windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

£50m for Suarez from Arsenal should not be considered.

I agree 100% tell them to fork out 60 + million at a minimum .

Suarez has heard Arsenal have tried to buy him with his "supposed" release clause .

1003173_619200714778608_81552057_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I agree 100% tell them to fork out 60 + million at a minimum .

I like the cut of your jib

T-K-O wrote: »
    I like the cut of your jib

It's common sense , we sold Torres for 50 m and Suarez is better then him and he's younger .

It's common sense , we sold Torres for 50 m and Suarez is better then him and he's younger .

And also Torres was getting muck at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Im with you. Id go a step further and flat out refuse a sale to Arsenal, IMO he doesnt want a move to London anyway.

And also Torres was getting muck at that stage

Exactly , plus Torres never considered to be in the top 10 players in the world .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Except nobody seems willing, as yet anyway, to pay £50million not to mind £60million.

5live wrote: »
    Except nobody seems willing, as yet anyway, to pay £50million not to mind £60million.

Well then they can't have him simples .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Torres was fantastic back in 2009 for you guys.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement