Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I really hope the club are just stringing this out in the hope of a bid from somebody other than an EPL team, then I say he will be gone straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just reading that article makes me laugh. He's basically arguing that Liverpool do the right thing and honour a verbal agreement that he claims was made a year ago, but seems to be more than happy to ignore the fact that he signed an agreement to play for Liverpool until 2017.
    Exactly - why sign the fcuking contract then?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's getting to the time when we'll see if "we're not selling him to a rival" was serious or not. If the options are to sell him now for 40m, or keep him in the reserves if he doesn't want to play and get 30m for him next summer from a non english team, take option 2 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Our club is a total cluster **** :(

1) If we made him that promise last season, then we are fools
    2) If Arsenal are still pushing this I really fear that the clause in his contract may not be as ambiguous as we seem to think. I'm sure their people have looked it over & obviously think it's sufficient.

How incredibly messy this whole thing is :(

What does he mean by the Bolded Part?

Local Rival as in Everton or Local Rival as in EPL Champions League Rival like Arsenal or Spurs?
    Arsenal are hardly a local rival. I take it he means Everton or United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

rarnes1 wrote: »
    "Promised" means fcuk all if it's not in a contract

I wouldn't exactly be taking what Luis says that the club 'promised' as gospel either.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Our club is a total cluster **** :(

1) If we made him that promise last season, then we are fools
    2) If Arsenal are still pushing this I really fear that the clause in his contract may not be as ambiguous as we seem to think. I'm sure their people have looked it over & obviously think it's sufficient.

How incredibly messy this whole thing is :(

I'm not sure the club would be that stupid but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

5starpool wrote: »
    It's getting to the time when we'll see if "we're not selling him to a rival" was serious or not. If the options are to sell him now for 40m, or keep him in the reserves if he doesn't want to play and get 30m for him next summer from a non english team, take option 2 imo.

Wouldn't have to wait until next summer. Come January there'll be plenty of clubs still involved in Europe that will be looking to strengthen. A proven goalscorer that isn't cup tied will be at a premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If we did promise that we would let him go, then we should honour that in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Let him rot until January then sell him to a European club, simples.

What I said weeks ago, but I guess the club might not feel like flaring off a likely several million euro to make a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When did he get a renewed contract? I thought it was last year. That would mean he was promised he could leave at the same time signing a new four year deal. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

What a prick! If nobody in Europe want him, then he's staying, if he wants to leave, hand in the transfer request. Talk about disrespect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

If we did promise that we would let him go, then we should honour that in fairness.

Bull...if its not written down it doesn't count. Let him rot, if we can take a 20million loss on Carroll we can do the same on Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seeing as the club seems very confident of not selling him i imagine they are confident the contract side of things favours them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm sure our people have looked it over too & obviously think it's sufficient :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hand in the transfer request and go. Or just stop playing the forking victim. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

You'd believe the word of Suarez, someone who had already tried to Twist a Contract just so it could suit him before?

Groningen rings any Bells?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Sell him to arsenal, but just make sure it's for in excess of £50 million. I wouldn't be surprised if the clause says that negotiations must start if a bid in excess of £40 million comes in, which it has. Doesn't mean we have to sell for that price.

mmmm... on the guardian website comments...is that you mike65??

@mike65ie 06 August 2013 11:05pm. Get cifFix for Firefox.

Presumably if Liverpool are found to be illegally witholding his registration, then his transfer could still go through. You can't punish a player because his club are acting like desperate criminals.

No way he can stay after this.

What a mess, but Liverpool deserve everything they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

This is Luis Suarez we're talking about. A guy who will do pretty much anything to bend the rules any which way he can to get an advantage on the field. I'm sure he's capable of lying through his teeth and using all manner of underhanded tactics to get the things he wants off the field too.

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, most especially if it's not down on paper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If he's not making it all up (or even if he is), keeping him could around be very dangerous. Any of the players who are friendly with Suarez are going to start looking at Rodgers differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Blatter wrote: »
    At a guess, he'll bang on about why he wants to Leave LFC (Champions League etc.) and reveal he feels LFC reneged on contract agreement (that he should be let go to a CL club who bid a certain amount)
    ...and that was pretty much it, so predictable :P

Why sign a new contract then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Let's hope that real come in for him and ship the little ungrateful Cnut out the door ASAP. Twice the club stood by him and got fcuked over. He made Kenny look like a mug which ultimately cost him his job.
    He could have went down in LFC history but now will be remembered as just another player.
    We will move on from this like we have done before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »

Fairly obvious in December that we weren't making the top 4 as well tbh.

Honestly can't see Rodgers going "Yeah, Luis, I'm just in the door myself but I'll personally ensure that you will leave next summer, regardless of offers and circumstance, if we don't make the CL."

Just no, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

He's going to try do what he did at Groningen. I hope that the club stand strong. I'd definatley sell him for less than Aresnal offer to a non-PL club.

Everybody at club management level seem very sure of our position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why sign a new contract then!

Really? I suspect that it was part of the agreement?

Whether we did agree that or not will become apparent in a few days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Personally I think it's disgraceful how he's treating Liverpool after the way the club and fans have stood by him numerous times, but I'm sure 90% of people posting on these forums learnt not to get attached and take anything a footballer says with a pinch of salt these days, a long time ago.

Seems like a matter of time now before he ends up at Arsenal. I never would have seen that move coming a few months ago.

another good comment from a randomer, which kinda makes sense:
    The fact that Luis feels the need to go to the media and beg Liverpool to let him go should put to rest the debate about the release clause once and for all. If the release clause truly released him, he would have no reason to use this tactic. Fact of the matter is, Liverpool do not have to sell him, and most likely won't to Arsenal. Tough luck if Madrid doesn't come in and pay over 50 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I'm sure the club are perfectly willing to let him go but not for a penny below their valuation

The player has form for this kinda carry on and we need to be strong on this. The club should tell him he has 3 years left on his deal.

Leave him in the reserves until January if needs be. Dangerous precedent to set by selling to a rival under any circumstances. Let alone for a fee below asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's too good for Arsenal. He's too good for us too, but he should really be holding out for a better club and lay off acting the fool on the pitch until then. He's also worth more than 40m in the current market, so I'd be happy to go to the courts. FOR HIS OWN SAKE. We need to do what's in Suarez' best interests, and not let him go to Arsenal. He'll thank us for it later ;)

If he's not making it all up (or even if he is), keeping him could around be very dangerous. Any of the players who are friendly with Suarez are going to start looking at Rodgers differently.

not if they have the same ambition for the club

Paully D wrote: »
    Personally I think it's disgraceful how he's treating Liverpool after the way the club and fans have stood by him numerous times, but I'm sure 90% of people posting on these forums learnt not to get attached and take anything a football says with a pinch of salt these days, a long time ago.

Seems like a matter of time now before he ends up at Arsenal. I never would have seen that move coming a few months ago.

Still don't see us selling him to Arsenal tbh.

I do see us selling him at a lower price than we would like though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon. There will be a lot of temporarily amused people in these parts if he went to Arsenal and they didn't qualify for the CL, although they are strong favourites to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That's true but just makes Rodgers out to be a liar very messy situation, not sure want him at arsenal with this baggage.

Not really. Players often say what they want to be regarded as the truth, rather than actually saying what is true.

To quote Mr George R R Martins Words are wind

Was looking at some quotes today from Pepe Reina's agent (same agent as Rafa) that date back about three weeks or so. He said back then that there was talk of interest from Napoli and that his client was open to discussion on it, yet when Pepe did his big letter to the fans he seemed to be claiming he knew nothing about the Napoli loan deal until the last minute.

Funny how the official Napoli club site and also Tuttonapoli have quotes from Pepe's agent dating back a number of weeks in their archives regarding the possibility of Reina to Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bull...if its not written down it doesn't count. Let him rot, if we can take a 20million loss on Carroll we can do the same on Suarez

"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

True but i assume the club reminded him about his responsibilities on the pitch as well when he was signing his contract to play with us for for 3 more years.

Perhaps he should also honour that promise?

Quid pro quo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not really. Players often say what they want to be regarded as the truth, rather than actually saying what is true.

To quote Mr George R R Martins Words are wind

Was looking at some quotes today from Pepe Reina's agent (same agent as Rafa) that date back about three weeks or so. He said back then that there was talk of interest from Napoli and that his client was open to discussion on it, yet when Pepe did his big letter to the fans he seemed to be claiming he knew nothing about the Napoli loan deal until the last minute.

Funny how the official Napoli club site and also Tuttonapoli have quotes from Pepe's agent dating back a number of weeks in their archives regarding the possibility of Reina to Napoli.
    I mean he is basically trying to make out he is a liar, that's why its messy.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mada999 wrote: »
    not if they have the same ambition for the club
    They work with the guy. If he's going around telling his clubmates that the boss is a lying prick it's going to have a corrosive effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I am ****ing seething after reading the suarez interview. He made Kenny look like a mug, we defended him twice over pretty shocking behaviour.

Il say one thing, I hope to god the club show some steel over this. Selling to arsenal would be retarded of the highest order.

Let the prick rot in the reserves instead of selling to arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. A ridiculous promise to make if it was made.

I guess we'll find out from Rodgers relatively soon if its true.
    I'm sure our people have looked it over too & obviously think it's sufficient :pac:

I wouldn't have much faith in our legal team to be honest, a few times over the last number of years they've seemingly let us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just don't believe that Suarez who was in the process of signing a new contract was talking about leaving.

Especially having only been at the club for 18 months.

Also, I don't believe that Rodgers said he could go too as everyone knew that last season it was unlikely we'd make CL.

Either way, I don't like how Suarez is handling this and his attitude to the club and starting to think we should just sell him to a club in Europe, even for £30m.

No point in having a negative, disruptive influence around no matter how good he is.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Quotes from players on transfer speculation are even more unreliable than Twitter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Not unlikely the club knew about the interview and removed him from the Oslo squad as punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. A ridiculous promise to make if it was made. I guess we'll find out from Rodgers relatively soon if its true.

I wouldn't have much faith in our legal team to be honest, a few times over the last number of years they've seemingly leg us down.

Why do you knock the club at every opportunity?

How has the club been let down legally over the last few years?

I mean he is basically trying to make out he is a liar, that's why its messy.

I honestly couldn't care if Rodgers is a liar. Football is a business. If keeping Suarez last year meant he had to lie to him, fuck it, I don't care.

Ridiculous anyway, how can they promise him something that is 50% out of their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

Heres the thing... the club are adamant that there is no such RELEASE clause, only merely informing him of a deal. So if he's going to the papers first as opposed to going to court to push it through, then there's something VERY suspect about what he is saying.

And considering his track record , I have a hard time taking his word. Remember this is the man who gave Dalglish his word that he'd shake Evras hand, worked out well there didn't it

another good comment from a randomer, which kinda makes sense:

Very good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quotes from players on transfer speculation are even more unreliable than Twitter :P

True, probably far more likely to be more self serving than anything spouted out by some nobody on twitter.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement