Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

They work with the guy. If he's going around telling his clubmates that the boss is a lying prick it's going to have a corrosive effect.

lol...he should know better.. Rodgers doesn't own the club, so it;s not really his call.. but tbh i can't imagine Rodgers promising this... tbh torres used this same tactic in the press when he left chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Knex. wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't care if Rodgers is a liar. Football is a business. If keeping Suarez last year meant he had to lie to him, fuck it, I don't care.

Ridiculous anyway, how can they promise him something that is 50% out of their control.
    Jesus I mean Rodgers won't be happy, some touchy people in here tonight, understandably so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do you knock the club at every opportunity?

How has the club been let down legally over the last few years?

Heinze? The Suarez/Evra debacle?

I'm sure it's a different legal team now, but I'd still be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I tend to agree. A ridiculous promise to make if it was made.

I guess we'll find out from Rodgers relatively soon if its true.

I wouldn't have much faith in our legal team to be honest, a few times over the last number of years they've seemingly let us down.

Grow up lads, you think the multi billion pound industry that is football is held together by promises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Suarez is clearly gone desperate here, its not gone to plan atall for him. Let him go to the premier league and let him plead his case only for it be shot down, let the (insert every bad thing to say about him as i already have 2 yellows already ) rot in the reserve then. And ship him out foreign, im sure some oil rich russia club is in the cl, **** him off over there and play your cl so luis.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

Just like a few years ago with Groningen..

Also lol at the last line.

"I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

gafferino wrote: »
    Not unlikely the club knew about the interview and removed him from the Oslo squad as punishment.
    Do you not think it's a coincidence that three English-based players who are all looking for a transfer are simultaneously injured? Rooney, Bale, Suarez? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wonder if Zenit want to do a swap for a player or two? :pac:

That way Suarez can get his move to a CL club :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus I mean Rodgers won't be happy, some touchy people in here tonight, understandably so!

Sorry, I knew what you were saying and didn't quite mean it as a direct response to you.

Just wanted to add my two cents on the liar stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I wouldn't have much faith in our legal team to be honest, a few times over the last number of years they've seemingly let us down.

you'll have to jog my memory on this one? I remember FSG knocking back a legal challenge from Hicks & Gillett over the sale of the club but I dont remember anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

He wouldn't be talking to the media if this was in his contract......he'd be negotiating a contract with Arsenal....

Bottom line is we don't need to sell...........theres no clause and Suarez can huff and puff but he is not in control of this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I reckon the clause is there but Liverpool are not upholding the spirit of it and are refusing to accept Arsenal's bid on a technicality.

Why? Because there's obviously some clause there and it would make NO sense whatsoever for Suarez and his agent to have wanted Liverpool's current interpretation of it in the contract. Who the hell insists on a clause that says 'here, if a club bids over x amount for you, we'll have to inform you about it.'?

As I said, it makes no sense, not least because 99% of players at this level will already know of a club's interest before an official bid is made. Suarez and his agent's understanding of the clause would have had to have been that he'd be allowed to leave for x amount. Nothing else computes.

I'm surprised a promise is being taken so seriously by some.

If it's in a contract that's a different story but then this would have been resolved in 10 secs, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This has just got very messy boys. There can't possibly be a way back now for him.

It'll be very interesting to hear BR reaction to it tomorrow.

gafferino wrote: »
    Grow up lads, you think the multi billion pound industry that is football is held together by promises?

I don't think it's held together by promises, but I think there is cases where people give their word on issues like this. Ronaldo & Ferguson for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Do you not think it's a coincidence that three English-based players who are all looking for a transfer are simultaneously injured? Rooney, Bale, Suarez? :pac:

Transferitus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

People aren't realistically suggesting we let him rot in the reserves are they? Arsenal could just sign another player, and not only would we not have Suarez but we wouldn't have the funds to sign replacements for him. It might feel nice to get one over on Suarez but that would leave us way behind Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Firstly, I have doubts that such a 'verbal agreement' was made, Luis Suarez hardly the most credible source in this instance.

Secondly, if one was made. It was almost certainly made with the intention of letting him go to a big European club, not a domestic CL rival. Suarez would know that, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fairly obvious in December that we weren't making the top 4 as well tbh.

Honestly can't see Rodgers going "Yeah, Luis, I'm just in the door myself but I'll personally ensure that you will leave next summer, regardless of offers and circumstance, if we don't make the CL."

Just no, in my eyes.

Tbh it's completely plausible. Hindsight is great but last summer would have been the time for him to go with a new manager coming in...but I am sure 'The Rodgers' would have promised him anything he wanted rather than go into his new job with the loss of his World Class striker.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

If it's in a contract that's a different story but then this would have been resolved in 10 secs, wouldn't it?

Exactly. If it was in the contract then Suarez would be with Arsenal by now.

Blatter wrote: »
    I reckon the clause is there but Liverpool are not upholding the spirit of it and are refusing to accept Arsenal's bid on a technicality.

Why? Because there's obviously some clause there and it would make NO sense whatsoever for Suarez and his agent to have wanted Liverpool's current interpretation of it in the contract. Who the hell insists on a clause that says 'here, if a club bids over x amount for you, we'll have to inform you about it.'?

As I said, it makes no sense, not least because 99% of players at this level will already know of a club's interest before an official bid is made. Suarez and his agent's understanding of the clause would have had to have been that he'd be allowed to leave for x amount. Nothing else computes.

Agree with this & if what he is saying about having the PFA's backing is true they obviously think there's something in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Heres the thing... the club are adamant that there is no such RELEASE clause, only merely informing him of a deal. So if he's going to the papers first as opposed to going to court to push it through, then there's something VERY suspect about what he is saying.

And considering his track record , I have a hard time taking his word. Remember this is the man who gave Dalglish his word that he'd shake Evras hand, worked out well there didn't it
    I don't think it's anything to do with the release clause. He seems to be saying it's in his contract that he can move if Liverpool failed to make the Champions League the season gone.
    How true that is I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paully D wrote: »

and Daily Mail interview January

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2271497/LUIS-SUAREZ-EXCLUSIVE-I-stay-Liverpool-dont-qualify-Champions-League.

"I stay even if Liverpool don't qualify for Champions League, this is the club of my dreams"
    Firstly, I have doubts that such a 'verbal agreement' was made, Luis Suarez hardly the most credible source in this instance.

A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper its written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Exactly. His representatives aren't stupid. If Liverpool really had made such a promise to him, his people would have insisted on it being written into his contract.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbh it's completely plausible. Hindsight is great but last summer would have been the time for him to go with a new manager coming in...but I am sure 'The Rodgers' would have promised him anything he wanted rather than go into his new job with the loss of his World Class striker.

Have to agree with this bit. I suppose what I was getting at is more the ridiculous nature of it for Suarez to actually believe Rodgers would go and demand that he be left go.

What young manager starting off would actively look for his best player to leave.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper its written on.

My head hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If there was a clause there why has he not tried to bring it to the courts yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Heinze? The Suarez/Evra debacle?

I'm sure it's a different legal team now, but I'd still be concerned.

A failed transfer attempt 4-5 years ago and the hard to defend Suarez racist incident is hardly a sign of poor legal team in all honesty.

Also, these are just employment contracts and should not be that complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract."
    If that is the case why is he willing to hand in a transfer request?!

How much would him handing in a transfer request save us? I've seen mention of a figure of £1m, or does it differ for each players case or, dare I say it, depend on what is in his contract?

If a club sells you to another club without you submitting a request, is there not an obligation on them to pay up the remainder of the contract (unless a lower figure is mutually agreed)? Suarez's contract must be worth approx £120k x 52 x 3....£18.72m!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not until someone refers it to a mediator, no.
    mada999 wrote: »
    lol...he should know better.. Rodgers doesn't own the club, so it;s not really his call.. but tbh i can't imagine Rodgers promising this... tbh torres used this same tactic in the press when he left chelsea
    It doesn't matter whose call it is or whether Suarez should know better. Liverpool have to factor into their decision making process that Suarez has basically accused Rodgers of being a liar and it adds more risk to the option of keeping him around.

• Advertisement

I was wouldn't even use verbal agreement with some folk at work ffs. Email or it didn't happen!

I can see this dragging on until September 2nd and him going to Madrid for 30m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

My head hurts.

He basically means, that if it's not in Suarez' Contract, then it's not Enforceable by Law.

If its not true, Rodgers denies it. It's that simple. If he doesn't deny it, then....:(

While there is no legal obligation together with a promise obviously, many footballers biographies are full of promises made to them by management. It's not unusual in business or in football for these kind of agreements to be made. Torres taking a paycut in his first season at Liverpool for example on the promise of a payrise the following season if he did the business. Ronaldo giving another year to Utd on the promise he'd be allowed go the following year. Not that unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All these quotes just show Suarez for what he is - a compulsive liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

i know it's hard but be careful of the language ye use to describe Suarez please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

If there was a clause there why has he not gotten tried to bring it to the courts yet?

This...

It sounds to me like a desperation move by Suarez, the move hasn't gone how he would have hoped. He wants to push through the transfer. SO going public makes him toxic to the club and forces (he hopes) the club to take 40m.

But FSG have shown they can take a 20m hit on a player and are prepared to do pretty much the same on another in Downing. This is going to end in a lose/lose for all methinks

Right bedtime for me. I'm expecting a new thread in the morning!!

If there was a clause there why has he not tried to bring it to the courts yet?

Certainly wouldn't be pricking about in the media myself if it was actually legally binding that I be left go.

Solicitors letter to the club and I'd be sitting at home too.

I'm pretty confident Liverpool know exactly what is in that clause and are well within their rights to reject the bid of Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Suarez confirms desire to leave Liverpool
    Star striker accuses the Reds of going back on an agreement to sell him if they failed to secure a Champions League place

Luis Suarez has confirmed his desire to leave Liverpool FC, accusing the Reds of going back on an agreement to sell him if they failed to secure a Champions League place last season.

And the Uruguayan striker, who has been persistently linked with a move away from Anfield in recent months, says he is willing to submit a formal transfer request in order to force through a transfer before the September 2 deadline.

Suarez withdrew from the Liverpool squad which travelled to Norway on Tuesday afternoon, ahead of a pre-season friendly with Valerenga this evening. The official line from the club is that he is nursing a slight foot injury, sustained during training on Monday.

But the 26-year-old, after months of speculation, has finally spoken out about his future. Suarez claims he has an agreement written into his Liverpool contract, signed last August, that will allow him to leave the club, and says he is willing to join Premier League rivals Arsenal in order to play Champions League football.

“I want to move to play in the Champions League, and there is a club offering me that opportunity,” Suarez said. “I have told the manager that I want to leave the club.

"I am being accused of showing a lack of loyalty but last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we did not qualify for the Champions League the following season then I would be allowed to go.

"I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish – now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.

"I don't feel betrayed [by Liverpool] but the club promised me something a year ago just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League.

Liverpool have maintained their stance that Suarez will not be sold to a Premier League rival this summer, with manager Brendan Rodgers repeating that statement at his pre-match press conference in Oslo on Tuesday evening.

But Suarez says now is the time for him to make public his desire to leave Merseyside, and says the club owes it to him to let him go.

He said: “It is not as if I am asking to move to a local rival. And I would not consider moving to a club outside the Champions League. I have made my desire to move known in private various times and now it feels like the time for me to make it public.

"I have to put my career first. People say Liverpool deserve more from me but I have scored 50goals in less than 100 games and now they could double the money they paid for me.

"Liverpool will always be special for me: my daughter was born here. [Last year] was the moment to show my loyalty to Liverpool and I did.

“They gave me my chance in England and stood up for me throughout my ban. I know I have made mistakes in my time here but I have apologised lots of times. This is not about that. This is about the club having agreed to something both verbally and in the contract which they are now not honouring.

"People may accuse me of showing a lack of loyalty but last season we told Liverpool there was interest from a top European club but they told me: 'We've got a new coach and we're going to push for the Champions League.'

"I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me: 'Stay another season, and you have my word if we don't make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.

“Liverpool is a club with a reputation for doing things the right way. I just want them to abide by the promises made last season. Some of [my team-mates] say to me: 'We cannot understand that if you have it signed that you can't leave.'"

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luis-suarez-confirms-desire-leave-5671640

He basically means, that if it's not in Suarez' Contract, then it's not Enforceable by Law.

Ah I know. I was just being tongue in cheek about the paradoxical nature of the sentence.

• Advertisement

He's quite obviously growing a bull**** plant, in his loft, and smoking plenty of it.

A couple of weeks ago he wanted to leave England, because of the press. When he saw Madrid were/are more interested in that fella that runs really, really fast for Spurs, he started griping about this clause, that clause, this promise, that promise and suddenly staying in England isn't all that arduous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mars Bar wrote: »
    i know it's hard but be careful of the language ye use to describe Suarez please.

That's like asking a kid to go on a bouncy castle and not bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DisappearingInk.jpg1338950583-rodgers.jpg
    184_disappearing_ink2.jpgLuis-Suarez-21.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

All these quotes just show Suarez for what he is - a compulsive liar.

Hes a toerag. But thats been obvious for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Who writes these contracts anyway. 10 year olds? These things are normally very clear and concise and not open to interpertation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Now we know why he didn't attend the Skipper's Testimonial Dinner and eat with his Teammates. He was already planning to Stab them behind the Back, while they were away.

The Amount of Disrespect this Guy is giving us, should be returned a Thousand-fold.

We should just Bench him for the Year.

The Club will have the Distinction of having a Benchwarmer starting in the World Cup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There may well be an agreement, but you would have to be an absolute moron to think the agreement allows for him to go to a club of his choosing, domestic or abroad, for a fee less than we value him at. So in short, he's talking absolute bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Still don't see us selling him to Arsenal tbh.

I do see us selling him at a lower price than we would like though.

Yeah, if a club from outside of England comes in with an offer, even if its lower than what Arsenal are offering, I'm sure Liverpool will go for that.

Unfortunately from Liverpool's point of view though, even though he has a contract, the player can still hold the cards.

If he has his heart set on Arsenal and refuses a move abroad (if one comes in) then Liverpool realistically aren't going to let a £40m asset rot in the reserves and won't want him hanging around being a distraction talking shite in the media every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Grayditch wrote: »
    DisappearingInk.jpg1338950583-rodgers.jpg
    184_disappearing_ink2.jpgLuis-Suarez-21.jpg

Laughed far more at that than I should have. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

First it was the press hounding him out(a press he seems happy to use right now for his saga) ' then it was the 40mil+ triggering
    a move, now its not qualifing for the cleague, next it will be the grass at anfield is 2.3mm higher than his contracts stipulates......
    Joker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement