Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

We could let him sit on the bench until xmas. There are always 1 or 2 big CL teams realising they need to add some quality in January. By that time that window rolls around he'll probably be the only world class player available for transfer on the planet, with the added bonus of being available for CL selection. ~£40m would be a bargain for somebody then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

meriwether wrote: »
    What if Vidal says no?

You dont seem to get this. Top players don't want to go to a club of Liverpools current position and immediate prospects.

Top players leave such clubs.
    klose wrote: »
    Pfffft ridiculous suggestion, anways juve have tevez and llorente now they are out of the question besides theyd offer **** all for him anyways

I have really got to start putting tongue in cheek faces or titling my posts with "Do not take 100% seriously".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

We could let him sit on the bench until xmas. There are always 1 or 2 big CL teams realising they need to add some quality in January. By that time that window rolls around he'll probably be the only world class player available for transfer on the planet, with the added bonus of being available for CL selection. ~£40m would be a bargain for somebody then.

What if this damage to your squad (dropping Suarez but no money to replace him) means you are low in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Let's sell him, and lob in a bid for Gareth.

Barry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Knex. wrote: »
    I have really got to start putting tongue in cheek faces or titling my posts with "Do not take 100% seriously".

Damn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Plus he won't want to sit on the bench in a World Cup year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

aramush wrote: »

well we can point to that if he goes to PFA arbitration board etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Don't be so cynical. I am sure that the passion and intensity that he has shown during pre-season has been a major factor in causing this foot injury.

Nothing would suprise me now, in fact it wouldnt even shock me if he stamped on his own foot or something just so he wouldnt have to go to norway so he could run(limp)to the gutter press this guy is capable of anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Fu<k him let him go to arsenal piece of sh!t just want rid at this stage toxic to have around I bet secretly a lot of players and staff glad he's not gone to Norway. Let some other suckers put up with his crap until he decides he's had enough of them and wants another move. He'll spend his whole career looking at where the grass might be greener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

what if he takes it fa and the tell him to **** off ,which in all likeliness they
    probably will as they hate the little **** and are going to side with liverpool if they have half a chance

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
    Liverpool are now in a bad position. Even if they sell Suarez for 50m+ they know that top players aren't queuing up to join them.

Don't think we'd spend the £50m either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

meriwether wrote: »
    What if this damage to your squad (dropping Suarez but no money to replace him) means you are low in the league?

No Money?

We haven't Spent on anything yet.

And Damage what? Sorry mate, we could live with Suarez not playing, we've done that plenty of times already. It's not like we haven't had any Practice, with him being a Ban-Magnet. Liverpool goes on, as usual.

What we can't condone is him playing for Arsenal. That would do more Damage than him not playing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

If he does go to Arsenal, I look forward to seeing what Agger, Stevie and co do to him. Even better to see what kind of treatment the kop will dish out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The fact we're not in Europe in any way shape or form is making us an even more unattractive proposition this window IMO

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some fairly embarrassing posts in here tonight. I'm feeling surprisingly meh about it all, although disappointed of course. Off to bed now anyhow. Will try to catch up on the 146 overnight posts in the morning, and keep up with the 463 extra posts before this time tomorrow night!

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The fact we're not in Europe in any way shape or form is making us an even more unattractive proposition this window IMO

Wow really! You think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

PRAF wrote: »
    Plus he won't want to sit on the bench in a World Cup year.

Wont mean that much, he is the first name of the team sheet. Could spend the year doing whatever he wanted, so long as he turns up fit he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

How much of a hit on the reported £50m price tag would some of you be willing to take in order to see him not go to Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mr Alan wrote: »

The europa means fcuk all really lets be honest

5starpool wrote: »
    Some fairly embarrassing posts in here tonight. I'm feeling surprisingly meh about it all, although disappointed of course. Off to bed now anyhow. Will try to catch up on the 146 overnight posts in the morning, and keep up with the 463 extra posts before this time tomorrow night!

Sums up my feelings on it....I also wanna get some sleep but this thread is like a car crash at the minute.

• Advertisement

Mostar with some Common Sense.
    MostarLFC ‏@MostarLFC 46s
    So Luis wants Liverpool to honour the gentleman's agreement but its ok to dishonour 4 years legally binding one at £120k per week..

How much of a hit on the reported £50m price tag would some of you be willing to take in order to see him not go to Arsenal?

I actually don't care where he goes anymore as long as he goes

poolboy wrote: »

I think that's ridiculously short-sighted tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

£40m will do, even £35 if it's late in the day and a replacement is in place

also, Falcao, James Rodriguez etc. won't be playing in Europe this season, the situation isn't quite as dire as some are making it out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We pay 45m, you guys get Costa and Papa and everyone is happy we can all go back to hating United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

klose wrote: »
    The europa means fcuk all really lets be honest

This lad even dressed down for the occasion.

IhDIpCB.jpg

Hweh, hweh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Hilarious to hear him talk about broken promises , this from the guy who promised Kenny he'd shake Evra's hand and then shafted him leaving him to look clueless when asked about it later . Not nice when promises aren't kept is it Suarez .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    We pay 45m, you guys get Costa and Papa and everyone is happy we can all go back to hating United

Liverpool need those two players (Or similar) even without Suarez going. so they wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

and another thing, if I were that dude in Madrid who writes the dodgy cheques, I would not be impressed with this at all (assuming they aren't in cahoots to drive down the fee!!!). As good as Luis is, the baggage he will bring is immense.

bad2dabone wrote: »

Some things you just don't put on hold. I question Arsenal's ambition in this department.

• Advertisement

I think that's ridiculously short-sighted tbh.

Why! At some point a player regardless of how good a player he is if he carries on the way saurez does becomes a negative on and off the field. How do you think the atmosphere in the dressing room will be after this and considering all that's gone before if he stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Hilarious to hear him talk about broken promises , this from the guy who promised Kenny he'd shake Evra's hand and then shafted him leaving him to look clueless when asked about it later . Not nice when promises aren't kept is it Suarez .

Didn't see many Liverpool fans care about Kenny until a few hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Spuds and gooners are the main threat to top four if Suarez goes to either of them we can kiss cl good bye

Ken Early ‏@kenearlys 13m
    suarez current position at LFC is: inside the tent, pissing in. dilemma is if they sell him to arsenal, he'll still be pissing in the tent

For some reason this reminded me a lot of a Grayditch type anology :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

That bite is looking more and more premeditated as the days go by.

Mostar with some Common Sense.

It's not really common sense...that contract was most likely thrown at him last season in a bid to keep hold of him....it doesn't mean he wasn't told he would be allowed leave after last season if we didn't get CL.

Would people be so happy to see him showing loyalty and wanting to stay at the club if the management needed to sell him to bring in a better player?...I doubt it.

Knex. wrote: »
    For someone reason this reminded me a lot of a Grayditch type anology :D

I deleted about three analogies from the end of my posts today. I'm getting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If I were a non-Liverpool supporter right now, I'm sure I'd be saying that we deserve what we're getting for defending him so aggressively through all his disgraceful behaviour. More fool us.

Spuds and gooners are the main threat to top four if Suarez goes to either of them we can kiss cl good bye

Maybe maybe not nobody can say that with certainty. I think we have reached the tipping point where him staying does us more harm than going regardless of destination

• Advertisement

Didn't see many Liverpool fans care about Kenny until a few hours ago

We care about Kenny, Mate. He's the King here.

But caring about him, doesn't mean some of us turns a Blind Eye to some of his Failings.

The Transfer Fvckups was his Fault and Commolli, as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

So much to say. We've been here before and I'm sure we will be here again. What a mess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

LFC need to be tough and not buckle no matter how much he strops to get his own way, I hate saying it but AF and the mancs would only let a player leave on there terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

While we're out of the CL, this is the future for us. Every season our best players will be looking to leave.

Why! At some point a player regardless of how good a player he is if he carries on the way saurez does becomes a negative on and off the field. How do you think the atmosphere in the dressing room will be after this and considering all that's gone before if he stays.

I'm not debating the need for him to be sold, just who he is sold to.

Liverpool's goal has to be the Champion's League, adding a 30+ goals a season forward to a direct rival for that goal (one that was able to achieve 4th without him) is simultaneously weakening yourself and strengthening them. With Spurs also improving (if Bale stays) then the chance of you overtaking them anytime in the near future is next to none.

Sell him abroad for less and Arsenal remain stagnant from last year while you have a chance to bring in some kind of replacement and perhaps lessen the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well any time iv ever had a contractual issue over the years & know you are in the right you produce said contract & show the management.
    However lets be honest management have same contract & are nearly always right,so what im trying to say is produce where it says you are entitled to be sold at your request Luis off get off the pot

• Advertisement

I'm not debating the need for him to be sold, just who he is sold to.

Liverpool's goal has to be the Champion's League, adding a 30+ goals a season forward to a direct rival for that goal (one that was able to achieve 4th without him) is simultaneously weakening yourself and strengthening them. With Spurs also improving (if Bale stays) then the chance of you overtaking them anytime in the near future is next to none.

Sell him abroad for less and Arsenal remain stagnant from last year while you have a chance to bring in some kind of replacement and perhaps lessen the damage.

Fair enough but at the moment no other clubs are exactly in a bidding war with arsenal are they. I accept the preferred destination from our point is abroad

I don't see what the big deal with the CL is anyway. It's like the hottest bird in the pub, but we've done her 5 times at this stage.

/analogy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Brendan Rodgers is confident of conducting more business before the transfer window closes on September 2, with attacking reinforcements high on the Liverpool manager's shortlist.

The Northern Irishman completed four signings before pre-season, with Iago Aspas, Luis Alberto, Simon Mignolet and Kolo Toure all switching to Anfield ahead of the 2013-14 campaign.

Rodgers is keen to improve his available options even further in the remaining days of the window as the Reds mount a challenge for a return to the Champions League.

"We're always looking to evolve the squad, to improve the group," the boss told local reporters at a press conference in Norway on Tuesday evening.

"We still have some business to do to bring in a few more players. By the end of August I hope that we will have a squad that will be ready to compete and challenge for the top four.

"We need one or two players to cover positions where we're a little bit short, and also probably looking to bring in maybe one or two in the attacking areas. We'll see how that goes.

"The window is still open until the end of this month. We did very well in the early part of the window, when we got four players in - which I'm extremely happy about. If we can add a few more that would be really good for us.

"Our main target is to progress from where we were last season. We finished seventh in the league and we want to move forward.

"The measure will always be Champions League for Liverpool, there's no disguising that. That will always be the case and I believe we have a really good chance of doing that.

"The challenge is very difficult; some of the teams that were already ahead of us have spent massively over the course of the summer again.

"The challenge is still there, it's a very difficult challenge, but we mustn't be frightened of it. We don't see it as a threat, if anything it's an opportunity for us.

"We see this season as a great opportunity to hopefully move forward again. I'm forever an optimist - we will always fight. It's what Liverpool Football Club is about. We never accept second best.

"The challenge is to get into the Champions League positions, but not just be in it, but try to fight and go as high as we possibly can. That has to be the main target, to arrive in the top four."

Rodgers named a 21-man squad earlier in the day for the Reds' sixth pre-season friendly, against Valerenga on Wednesday - a fixture LFC TV Online subscribers can watch live on this website.

Daniel Agger, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez remained on Merseyside due to injury.

The boss explained: "Luis picked up an injury. We had an open training session yesterday at Anfield. With him and a number of other players, unfortunately it was just too much of a risk to take them.

"Luis, along with Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson - we just saw this game as too much of a risk for them. So they stayed back to get treatment.

"Daniel Agger, who has been absolutely fantastic over pre-season, took a knock towards the end of the game [against Olympiacos] and had to get some fluid removed from his knee.

"That has just left him a little bit more swelling. We're going to assess that over the next few days and hopeful that he could be [fit] for the weekend.

"Luis, we'll have to wait and see whether he needs a scan on his foot. Glen Johnson, I would think, should be fine - precautionary really, a bit of tightness on his adductor.

"Martin Skrtel just had a problem on the outside of his knee. It was just too much of a risk to take them to this game, but I'm hopeful that most of them should be fit for the weekend.

"All the players have been brilliant over the course of the pre-season, and this is another good game that we're looking forward to. We've been very fortunate - our physical condition has been outstanding.

"The players have worked very hard. This has been the first game where we have had any sort of niggling injuries. To have worked this hard for this long - this is the first time we've had to rest a couple - is a great respect to the players and the medical and sports science team on how hard they have been working.

"It's unfortunate, but we've still got top players here and we'll continue with what has been a very good preparation phase so far."

The journalists gathered at the Reds' hotel in Oslo questioned Rodgers on speculation surrounding the future of Suarez, and the 40-year-old reiterated his viewpoint.

"I'll tell you what I've been saying all summer and what I said most of last season," he said.

"He's an incredible player, Luis Suarez. On the field he is a fighter, he wants to win and he showed that last season.

"We've obviously had a couple of bids from one club that has been nowhere near the valuation. I repeat - nowhere near the valuation of what he is worth in this market. There's no change to that.

"It's the same with any of our players - we're very much a team that's trying to build and go forward. For that, we want to keep our best players.

"We have no intention of selling one of the top players in the world to one of our rivals. The message is very clear: Luis Suarez is very much a Liverpool player.

"There's not even really a discussion point, unless someone comes within anywhere near the valuation of Luis. At this present time, that's not the case."

Although centre-back Agger was not among the travelling party which landed in Norway shortly after 8pm local time, Rodgers responded to a question about the 28-year-old with a glowing appraisal.

The manager added: "He's obviously a world-class defender. Daniel is very committed to Liverpool; he's one of the players that have really impressed me.

"If we're talking about loyalty, he was one of the first players that I spoke to when I became the manager. At the time, there were a number of big clubs looking to sign Daniel.

"But he gave me his word that for as long as I wanted him to be at Liverpool, he would be at Liverpool. He has never swayed from that.

"He has an unswerving commitment to Liverpool which is so refreshing. His loyalty to the club is incredible.

"I would suspect when he signed his new contract last year, he was hoping that this would be the contract that's going to allow him to see out the best part of his career at Liverpool."

Having recorded a 100 per cent record in pre-season to date, Rodgers' charges travel to the Ullevaal Stadium tomorrow to face a side who the coaching staff know plenty about.

"We looked at the team play, I'm sure there will be changes," he said. "The last game they drew 2-2, playing a 4-1-4-1 system.

"The two wingers are reverse wingers that come inside and can cause a problem. The young winger on the left side likes to come in and join in. The left-footed player has technique on the right side.

"The young striker moves well and can finish, with one touch, very well in the box. Norwegian footballers are very honest, work very hard and have quality. We know this is a nice game for us and a good test.

"You produce some wonderful footballers in this country. We know when we come here we're in for a good game. They will work very hard and I'm sure will be very motivated to do well."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

He says he was told that he could leave if we didn't get CL but I seem to remember him being quoted saying he was happy to stay at a time when it was clear we weren't going to get CL? I may be mistaken however.

All we need now is Messi to come out and plead for Liverpool to act "humanely" and he'll be off!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement