Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He says he was told that he could leave if we didn't get CL but I seem to remember him being quoted saying he was happy to stay at a time when it was clear we weren't going to get CL? I may be mistaken however.

All we need now is Messi to come out and plead for Liverpool to act "humanely" and he'll be off!

Will you be calling yourself LuisSuarez in a few months time? :D:D

Anyway. If he was that desperate to leave, he'd have handed in the transfer request by now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Anyway. If he was that desperate to leave, he'd have handed in the transfer request by now.

Yeah but doesn't he keep a big loyalty fee if he doesn't submit a transfer request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

He's certainly desperate to leave, I don't understand why he hasn't handed in a transfer request though. Is it just the downright greed of wanting to keep his 'loyalty:rolleyes:' bonus, or could there be another reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yeah but doesn't he keep a big loyalty fee if he doesn't submit a transfer request?

... in other words he's not that desperate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The fact we're not in Europe in any way shape or form is making us an even more unattractive proposition this window IMO

no shít sherlock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mada999 wrote: »
    no shít sherlock...

I'm simply pointing it out because plenty of people seem to view the Europa League as a hindrance & were apparently glad we didn't qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The whole Suarez affair makes the Torres affair look like Alice in Wonderland

What.A.FÚCKING.Cúnt

Here's a little reminder of what the players thought of him

article-2077198-0F3F8DDC00000578-621_634x345.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm simply pointing it out because plenty of people seem to view the Europa League as a hindrance & were apparently glad we didn't qualify.

well i think if it boosts our league aspirations then I'm fine without being in it, but it would be good to blood more yufs and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

thats a very fair point. The amount of people on here who claimed a lack of any european football was actually a positive thing is quiet astounding.

Theres only so long the club can dine out on its history before game changing players on the continent no longer take you seriously.

And if they do then they see us as a stepping stone.

You also need to look at the manager. Does he have the pull to attract players from the top drawer?

The worrying aspect is that Suarez seems to want away at all costs. Id have thought sitting the guy down and explaining the situation i.e a more attractive club is likely to enter the fray in January/Next summer if you get your head down and work.

Moving to Arsenal is just a weird move. Its not a huge leap forward.

Saying that, Suarez could very well take Arsenal to that level or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

the person i really feel sorry for in all this is poor suarezistheman...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Haha suarez coming out... I only asked him to say that so br wouldn't notice the fax from Bolton. Can't wait to see him at training on the 2nd and him to realise he's stuck with me till Xmas. Suarez is a good mate.

The ideal situation is if suarez goes to arsenal, they lose their qualifier and we top them in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Moving to Arsenal is just a weird move. Its not a huge leap forward.

Not really they finished two points behind Chelsea and five behind City last season and have 50 million extra to spend each year after signing new kit and shirt sponsor deal.

Future for them looks good.

Besides Real, Barca, Byern, City, MU, PSG, Monaco and all the rest aren't interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

He's obviously holding out on the transfer request so he can keep the bonus. This interview is to see if he can force the club's hand. If not he can bide his time and if he doesn't get his way hand in a request the days leading up to deadline day.

This is why the deadline annoys me. Almost every player and club holds off to see if they might get a better deal in the desperation in the last day or two. We always seem to be the ones who get screwed by it too!

Make no mistake, Suarez doesn't give a toss about the club or fans. It's just his employer.

And on a final note,

I wouldn't take suarez at his word. He's done some great things, but he's also done some awful things. Wouldn't trust his word.

Plus this contract stuff. Sorry lad you bit someone and got banned. You're doing us no favours after promising to improve your behaviour. So you'll get none from us. Let him go but make sure it funds serious signings.

He's a good mate though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not really they finished two points behind Chelsea and five behind City last season and have 50 million extra to spend each year after signing new kit and shirt sponsor deal.

Future for them looks good.

Besides Real, Barca, Byern, City, MU, PSG, Monaco and all the rest aren't interested in him.

You could also say they finished behind a Chelsea side that went through two managers and were in disarray for parts of the season and a city side who lacked any leadership on and off the pitch, both teams are going improve. Arsenal are miles behind the top 3. By the time arsenal have a chance to reach the top again Suarez will be long gone. It's a crazy move from him.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You could also say they finished behind a Chelsea side that went through two managers and were in disarray for parts of the season and a city side who lacked any leadership on and off the pitch, both teams are going improve. Arsenal are miles behind the top 3. By the time arsenal have a chance to reach the top again Suarez will be long gone. It's a crazy move from him.

You could but the fact is they finished two behind Chelsea and five behind City.

You could also say City, Chelsea and MU have new managers who will take time to blend in and may not fly off the blocks.

And if Arsenal do buy Suarez they will have bought the best player in, out of all the top four clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And if Arsenal do buy Suarez they will have bought the best player in, out of all the top four clubs.

He's a top player that's true, but so is the likes of RVP and Mata most notably of the top 4.

Panthro wrote: »
    He's a top player that's true, but so is the likes of RVP and Mata most notably of the top 4.

Sorry I mean this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's all Panto...
    oh no it's not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

People can talk all they want about what is in players contracts, gentleman's agreements etc. None of it accounts for much.

At the end of the day, the longer this goes on the more the club loses out. The club can do and say all it likes, fact is, first club to put 50m out there gets the player.

Discounts may apply to foreign suitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

So just catching up on this whole Suarez stuff.

Basically nothing has changed, just Suarez reiterating that he still wants to leave. Giving his interpretation of the release clause and not handing in a transfer request because its Liverpool being disloyal not him!

Oh and he tried his hardest last season and only bit one person, racially abused no-one and shook hands with everyone even without having promised to do so!

Plus he's not doing this to hurt Liverpool because he'd never do that!

Right have I got it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I think it's time to sell him. He obviously doesn't want to be at the club. Generally speaking, and I would say especially with Suarez, an unhappy employee doesn't behave and perform as expected and required.

I wouldn't say that he'd deliberately sabotage himself, but he's already shown that he can do fairly crazy stuff. If he's feeling under pressure and stress because of this situation, then I really fear for repeat offences or something similar. Another lengthy ban will follow, defeating the purpose (to some degree) of keeping him and again dragging the name of LFC through the mud. The press would love that.

• Advertisement

I think it's time to sell him. He obviously doesn't want to be at the club. Generally speaking, and I would say especially with Suarez, an unhappy employee doesn't behave and perform as expected and required.

I wouldn't say that he'd deliberately sabotage himself, but he's already shown that he can do fairly crazy stuff. If he's feeling under pressure and stress because of this situation, then I really fear for repeat offences or something similar. Another lengthy ban will follow, defeating the purpose (to some degree) of keeping him and again dragging the name of LFC through the mud. The press would love that.

He is as good as gone, everything else is jostling for position by everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This summer should be providing extra strong doses of reality to everyone. Proceeding very poorly thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So wednesday windup is going to be fun

So, who's Suarez replacement?

Vicxas wrote: »
    So wednesday windup is going to be fun

So, who's Suarez replacement?

Darren Bent on loan.

On a more serious note, i'd take a straight swap involving Lukaku in a heartbeat if it was even remotely possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No way back now for Suarez.

10 days until the new season. Key player is as good as gone. No-one bought to replace him. First team not strengthened to the required level and apparently we are sitting on money. If that is the case we really should have had our ducks in a row before Suarez went into tantrum mode, i cant believe its gotten to this stage. 1 extra CB and 1 extra attacking player is not going to cut it now.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »

10 days until the new season. Key player is as good as gone. No-one bought to replace him. First team not strengthened to the required level and apparently we are sitting on money. If that is the case we really should have had our ducks in a row before Suarez went into tantrum mode, i cant believe its gotten to this stage. 1 extra CB and 1 extra attacking player is not going to cut it now.

Just goes to show everyone above Brendan buried their heads in the sand with their fingers in their ears.

Once again, we've been made a laughing stock in the transfer window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Just goes to show everyone above Brendan buried their heads in the sand with their fingers in their ears.

Once again, we've been made a laughing stock in the transfer window...

So LFC should already have sold him to a direct rival for less than his value.

LFC are sticking to their guns, until the right bid comes in. Thats the only way to save something out of this mess.

ush wrote: »

LFC are sticking to their guns, until the right bid comes in. Thats the only way to save something out of this mess.

No reason we couldn't have been outbidding Spurs for Soldado or made a move for Costa in early July though. We'd be in a much stronger position from all angles if we'd made first XI improving acquisitions by this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's like a copy of the bad Arsenal strategy when we let Fab and Nasri go and went into the season without replacements.

Tbh, I think the best solution for both parties would be a quick hike to something like 45 + 5 add ons from Arsenal and then a fast sale.

While I appreciate that many Liverpool fans see Arsenal as a direct rival, Suarez is now going, and without him Liverpool are a season or two from Arsenal, assuming the latter stands still.

Get it over and done with and get on with preperations for the new season.

I'm not saying we sell to Arsenal, I'm saying that they must have been aware of this agreement, so why would they deny it at every turn when they knew Suarez would be looking to enact this agreement. That's what I meant.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No reason we couldn't have been outbidding Spurs for Soldado or made a move for Costa in early July though. We'd be in a much stronger position from all angles if we'd made first XI improving acquisitions by this point.

Soldado? I reckon Liverpool were told not to bother. He wasn't interested.

Costa. I don't think timing is that important in that deal.

This summer so far we have played chess with the finances and played checkers in the transfer market.

I'm not saying we sell to Arsenal, I'm saying that they must have been aware of this agreement, so why would they deny it at every turn when they knew Suarez would be looking to enact this agreement. That's what I meant.

What argreement? Are we taking Luis Suarez' word as gospel now? Sure he'd never tell a lie.

:)

If Suarez goes, we should play like this:

Lucas

Allen

Gerrard

Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Aspas

If Gerrard winds back the clock a bit and Sturridge has a career season and Lucas returns to 2011 form and Coutinho continues from end of last season and Allen doesn't suck and Aspas is ~85% of 2011 / 12 Bellamy

...we might be still involved in the CL race come March!

gosplan wrote: »
    It's like a copy of the bad Arsenal strategy when we let Fab and Nasri go and went into the season without replacements.

Tbh, I think the best solution for both parties would be a quick hike to something like 45 + 5 add ons from Arsenal and then a fast sale.

While I appreciate that many Liverpool fans see Arsenal as a direct rival, Suarez is now going, and without him Liverpool are a season or two from Arsenal, assuming the latter stands still.

Get it over and done with and get on with preperations for the new season.

Thanks, more people might take it on board seeing as it isnt coming from me. ;)

• Advertisement

Soldado? I reckon Liverpool were told not to bother. He wasn't interested.

Costa. I don't think timing is that important in that deal.

Season starts in 10 days. It would be a lot better having him in Norway now getting aclimatised to things. It would speak to suitors that we have a compliment / replacement and can hold on to get the best price possible. And it would spill into any remaining deals that we aren't desperate about them.

As it is, clubs know that we need the Suarez part of this resolved quickly now. We want him out the door so that we know where we are and what we need. We're failing at securing what is required. Again, for the second summer in succession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I am kind of glad this has happened. I was trying to warm to the idea of him staying after the recent lack of interest, but in truth, I don't want a player that doesn't want to be there. I just hope we can attract a replacement of sufficient calibre (and with enough goals) that we can survive. Arsenal showed last year that you don't have to replace like for like, they spread the goals around more. And we showed in the last few games of last season that we have players who can work well in a Suarez-less system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Best Player is causing unrest and wants out of the club (A player that manager has admitted building the team around).

Manager made several signings that he basically said were squad players. Now he is looking to sign first teamers. Since then no signings have been made.

Goal keeper was signed because he wanted to create competition in all areas of the pitch, then loans out his number one. (Who was willing to stay and fight for his place).

Still no sign of a quality CB, a position even the worst "arm chair football warrior" know need to be filled.

Less then two weeks to go until the season begins.

Worrying.

What argreement? Are we taking Luis Suarez' word as gospel now? Sure he'd never tell a lie.

These are all if's and but's. I don't know what was said but I need to factor everything in.

Would John Henry's statement mean that he was aware of it, but is just stonewalling it? I don't know.

All I know is that our star player wants away, and we really should have been on the ball looking for a replacement because this has been going on since the Confed cup

Best Player is causing unrest and wants out of the club (A player that manager has admitted building the team around).

Manager made several signings that he basically said were squad players. Now he is looking to sign first teamers. Since then no signings have been made.

Goal keeper was signed because he wanted to create competition in all areas of the pitch, then loans out his number one. (Who was willing to stay and fight for his place).

Still no sign of a quality CB, a position even the worst "arm chair football warrior" know need to be filled.

Less then two weeks to go until the season begins.

Worrying.

The thing is.......all of this was known weeks ago, but it has been left get to this stage, it is worrying and incompetence also......

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am kind of glad this has happened. I was trying to warm to the idea of him staying after the recent lack of interest, but in truth, I don't want a player that doesn't want to be there. I just hope we can attract a replacement of sufficient calibre (and with enough goals) that we can survive. Arsenal showed last year that you don't have to replace like for like, they spread the goals around more. And we showed in the last few games of last season that we have players who can work well in a Suarez-less system...

Suarez to Arsenal means no CL for us this season. So sell him yes, just not to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Start buying today. The current squad won't get near the Top 4, especially if we pull the engine out of our team and put it in the team who actually got 4th. Suarez is a real penis for pushing Arsenal move through, not for wanting to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Goal keeper was signed because he wanted to create competition in all areas of the pitch, then loans out his number one. (Who was willing to stay and fight for his

Brad Jones wears number 1. :D

But in reality that wasn't true, goalkeeper was signed to replace Barca-bound Reina, not provide competition. We know this now.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Season starts in 10 days. It would be a lot better having him in Norway now getting aclimatised to things. It would speak to suitors that we have a compliment / replacement and can hold on to get the best price possible. And it would spill into any remaining deals that we aren't desperate about them.

As it is, clubs know that we need the Suarez part of this resolved quickly now. We want him out the door so that we know where we are and what we need. We're failing at securing what is required. Again, for the second summer in succession.

Transfer window closes on the 31st. No need for LFC hierarchy to go panic. They were aware that Suarez would give an interview at some stage. Nothing has changed over night. They've a strategy already devised. They're sticking to their valuation. Good.

Costa isn't going to signal significant to anybody (Much the same as Aspas). He's never gonna be seen as a direct replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Blatter wrote: »
    I reckon the clause is there but Liverpool are not upholding the spirit of it and are refusing to accept Arsenal's bid on a technicality.

Why? Because there's obviously some clause there and it would make NO sense whatsoever for Suarez and his agent to have wanted Liverpool's current interpretation of it in the contract. Who the hell insists on a clause that says 'here, if a club bids over x amount for you, we'll have to inform you about it.'?

As I said, it makes no sense, not least because 99% of players at this level will already know of a club's interest before an official bid is made. Suarez and his agent's understanding of the clause would have had to have been that he'd be allowed to leave for x amount. Nothing else computes.

Here's one theory: the clause states that he can leave if £40m bid comes in from a team in the Champions League. As Liverpool don't want to sell to Arsenal, they're refusing to acknowledge them as a CL team as they have yet to qualify.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement