Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I mean, De Rossi is a top shelf player who is at Roma by choice rather than ability. It would be one of the biggest signings in the history of the club if it happened. Would make me feel a power better! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vålerenga 18 : 00 Liverpool

Just in case anyone forgets. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Paulegend wrote: »

llori toby ericson and papa have all been interested in us

Then why haven't we made a move. This is what I'm annoyed about

This has been coming since he mouthed off to the press in Uruguay. The club has had lots of time to sort this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Roma and Liverpool are in good terms as the same guy who own Roma has a stake in Liverpool

did he not give up his stake when he bought Roma?? not that it matters as im sure he didnt have a falling out with fenway because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

mike65 wrote: »

Just in case anyone forgets. :)

I'm not letting football get in the way of this soap opera :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Once you've noted he's an utterly classless individual, what more is there to say? I don't really have a higher criticism than to label someone as such. Sitting around throwing rocks at him and engaging in adolescent revenge fantasies ('wouldn't it be great if he went to Arsenal and they didn't qualify for the CL!!') is pointless.

Like it or lump it, this is playing out ugly because of the position the club is in. If we had secured CL football, we would have secured better players already in the window and Suarez would be content to hold out for the Real type move.

1. Of course, LFC in the CL means this fiasco probably would be postponed until next season. But by every realistic assessment, Suarez knew last year it was work in progress. Relatively new manager and, yes, a medium-term project.

So, then he does this:

2. August 7th, 2012 (a year today) signs the long term deal and comes out with these quotes:
    Moments after signing the deal, Suarez told Liverpoolfc.com: "To sign a new contract with Liverpool is unbelievable for me because I am so happy here at both the club and also in the city.

"That is important for me and I am very happy with my new contract.

"When you are a kid, everybody wants to play for Liverpool. I am here now and it is a dream for me, and now I am a Liverpool fan.

"I am happy off the pitch because the people of Liverpool are good with me and my family. I try my best on the pitch and when you are happy off the pitch, you are happy on the pitch.

"I want to say thank-you to the fans because they are our 12th player. The supporters of Liverpool are unbelievable.

"Five or six years ago I watched on TV the stadium and the club, and now I play here and the supporters have helped me. That's very important for me."

When he signed that contract he knew, Rodgers knew, the man-on-the-moon knew that it was going to take 2 or 3 seasons for CL football. And Rodgers is doing a pretty decent job, it was a solid (if uninspiring) season and they started to play very good football after january.

So, lets be real about this - this has nothing to do with Champions League football. Or media intrusion. Or homesickness. Or any other waffley excuse the lad wants to come out with. When Real Madrid were thought to be sniffing, they spun it into an anti-English thing. The media, the intrusion etc. Now that has gone quiet, it's changed into an ambition thing.

His agents are engineering this move away and if he goes to Arsenal people need to wise up and see that blind greed does play a bigger role in this than at first glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

We're losing 18 nil?!!! Jeez, this summer just gets worse & worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Also, just something that irked me reading through all of the posts from last night. Suarez said numerous things that he is going back on within months of saying them. He signed a contract he is now screaming to get out of. And of course we are only obliged to honour what the piece of paper that was signed says and no more.

BUT

You need to set your own ethical standard in life and ideally it will be higher than that maintained by those around you. If you shake someone's hand and promise them something you should honour it when the time comes to pass. Football is populated by a million sleazy and slimey people, but if our club or manager shook his hand and made a promise then it should count for something.

Very noble and I'd like to think you would be on here saying the same if Kenny or Rafa were in charge, but I'm a cynic so I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just can't believe Suarez is somehow the victim again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Also, just something that irked me reading through all of the posts from last night. Suarez said numerous things that he is going back on within months of saying them. He signed a contract he is now screaming to get out of. And of course we are only obliged to honour what the piece of paper that was signed says and no more.

BUT

You need to set your own ethical standard in life and ideally it will be higher than that maintained by those around you. If you shake someone's hand and promise them something you should honour it when the time comes to pass. Football is populated by a million sleazy and slimey people, but if our club or manager shook his hand and made a promise then it should count for something.

Why is one man's handshake more important than another's?

We (allegedly) promised Suarez something
    He (100% for certain) promised us something.

He gave us goals.
    We gave him millions of pounds.

He gave us hassle and controversy
    The club gave him support.

Why should we feel we owe him anything?

Let him rot in the reserves until his ban is up and let him decide by the middle of September if he is ready to play football in a world cup year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Vicxas wrote: »

i know mate. i think it was down to cash though. we seemed to be trying to bring in players for under 10 million at the time and papa was been touted at 12. seemed like we didnt have the spare cash to use. but if we sold suarez im sure we would get to spend it.

the ericson move though is an odd one. aparantly we had scouts over a couple of times and he didnt impress either time. we might have still been interested but i think he was moved down the priority list.

Llori is teh one that gets me. he was touted at 5 million.

all that i can possibly think is we where trying to strengthen the squad in the attacking mid role first as we have a lot of good young defenders in Llyoyd Jones, Wisdom, Kelly, Flannagan, Robinson and the upcoming McLaughlin. where as our young attacking players like morgan and yesil may not make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's not news to me that he's classless.

i am somewhat flabbergasted that he's using the tactics he is to get what he wants. i would have thought the support shown to him over the last 18 months would've counted for something.

apparently not when it comes to his sort.

Liverpool have played this well enough so far. If Suarez wants to go, he can hand in that written transfer request, and then things can happen, without him getting the big payoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Vicxas wrote: »

Ilori we were interested in before his price rocketed. Alderweireld and Erickson have been linked, but the former by nobody credible (AFAIK) and the latter months ago before the current scouting setup decided to pass. Papadopolous is a massive injury worry, but we may still move if/when Skrtel moves. Rumours yesterday that that would be announced this week. I'd say if he stays, we'll be holding off on Papadopolous for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's specifically playing out ugly because of the type of person Suarez is.

But they're nearly all the same?! :confused:

Plus Suarez had done this previously :confused: In fact he brought a previous club to court to get a move!

Ronaldo has done it, seem to remember Gareth Barry doing similar in a "sensational" interview to try force his way to us. In reality, an interview in the English media was always going to be the next next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as i said in this thread and got slated for it... suarez has gone from hero to zero in the fans eyes,and even if he is made stay he will never get the hero part back.

sooner he is gone the better for lfc.. he is dragging the club through the mud yet again with bad headlines.

hard to replace him but we thought that with torres,anything can happen,any small fee player can have a huge impact,same as a huge fee player having little impact... ya just dont know.

Because you get to set the value and meaning of your own handshake, not anyone elses. And if you choose it to mean nothing then you are no better than anyone else. It's real basic stuff that should always apply no matter what the context. The club can say what it wants in the media and, yes, lieing is a necessary evil within that sphere. But if it makes commitments to players behind closed doors that it doesn't honour down the line then we have lost our way quite badly in every respect.

this whole episode goes to show the power the "quote" still has in journalism.

No quotes from Suarez before Stevie G's game = Suarez gets rousing (now, embarrassing) ovation.

Quotes come out today, no more denying or defending. Let's see what reception he gets next time he turns out in front of the Kop.

Quotes still King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Why would Benzema join us? There was some whispers of him to Roma, which would be another odd move. I'd expect to see him back in France at one of the big 2 if he left.

I think we could achieve someone like Martinez (would cost big money), or maybe Rondon?

Why is anyone discussing a supposed handshake agreement? They are not worth the paper they are written on. Why is anyone taking the word of Luis Suarez as being true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

At this point, I can't see the logic in resisting selling him to Arsenal.

We can all accept that without Suarez, Liverpool are one or two years from competing from a CL place.

I think BR is a good manager and will build the team Liverpool want but it's going to take a bit if time.

Talk of selling him for 10-20 million less just do he won't play for Arsenal seems nonsensical to me. That's an extra Costa you're letting go of.

Plus any huge intransigence from Liverpool will make the club less attractive to players who will see it as a stepping stone.

If Suarez puts in two seasons like he did last year, he'll be gone to Madrid by the time Liverpool are competing with Arsenal. This will also keep Spurs/ Everton firmly away from the top table rather than having more CL money and attractiveness to throw around.

If he bombs, then it will be a good thing for you in terms of the Liverpool/Arsenal competitiveness.

The fact that with his comments yesterday, he now pretty much has to leave changes the whole 'direct rival' thing.

BR needs to build. He needs all the money he can get and some time. By the time his Liverpool team comes to fruitition, Suarez will not be in England. Arsenal have a lot of cash to spend and if the don't get Suarez, they'll get someone else, someone who probably won't need replacing in two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why is anyone discussing a handshake supposed agreement? They are not worth the paper they are written on. Why is anyone taking the word of Luis Suarez as being true?

We cant really, but now he has flapped his gums the media will take it as gospel, if we now disagree we'll look like we're trying to cover it up.

The club is now in a no win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Why is anyone discussing a supposed handshake agreement? They are not worth the paper they are written on. Why is anyone taking the word of Luis Suarez as being true?

He clearly skipped the handshake anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Who would ye like to see replacing Suarez?

Give Sturridge a go at being no1 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

We all know what handshakes mean to Suarez ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Let him rot in the reserves until his ban is up and let him decide by the middle of September if he is ready to play football in a world cup year

So more of the same in January then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

barone wrote: »
    as i said in this thread and got slated for it... suarez has gone from hero to zero in the fans eyes,and even if he is made stay he will never get the hero part back.

Suarez has not said anything new in that interview. He's made public a few things that we had all heard about, but there's nothing shocking there. He was widely cheered the other day.

In my opinion he'll go, probably to Arsenal for ~£50m if I was to guess. But if he plays regularly for the club again, he'll score, we'll benefit and nobody will be thinking of this interview when it happens, until the next transfer window when it will all happen again.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Plus Suarez had done this previously :confused: In fact he brought a previous club to court to get a move!

Ronaldo has done it, seem to remember Gareth Barry doing similar in a "sensational" interview to try force his way to us. In reality, an interview in the English media was always going to be the next next.

you're right, they're all the same.

they all lied about their families' safety. they all threatened legal action. they all had a history of biting and racism that had to be dealt with by the club.

Suarez should be being pilloried by one and all today for his attitude. yet you are saying, "well others did it". there is no excuse for the manner in which Suarez is behaving towards us. none. even if others did the same things, it doesn't excuse it.

he's embarrassing our club publicly. it's not on. end of. and you may scoff that I'm surprised by it, but I am. i'd have thought our standing by him through the shítstorms would've earned some respect, nevermind the payrises.

are you angry with Suarez and how he has treated the club?

Why is anyone taking the word of Luis Suarez as being true?

because some have to keep believing that the club are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Hey guys..I was looking for that image that was posted in this thread of how stories can gather fake legs on twitter. ANyone got a link to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Mr Alan wrote: »

Now who is the apologist.

As for his latest outburst, this is nothing new. We all knew he wanted out however our stance should be a simple one. You're not going to Arsenal, especially not for 40 million.

So, get that wizard of an agent to find you a home for next season.

Suarez is talented classless act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Because you get to set the value and meaning of your own handshake, not anyone elses. And if you choose it to mean nothing then you are no better than anyone else. It's real basic stuff that should always apply no matter what the context. The club can say what it wants in the media and, yes, lieing is a necessary evil within that sphere. But if it makes commitments to players behind closed doors that it doesn't honour down the line then we have lost our way quite badly in every respect.

The club has to do what's best for the club and the directors are legally obliged to act in the best interests of the shareholders - not of Luis Suarez.

I'm sure at no point last summer did Liverpool tell Suarez he would be let join the one team in the top 4 who could potentially be caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did you know that it was a year to the day that he signed a new contract at LFC and declared what a privilege it is to play for LFC and he's a big fan.

All shown to be hollow now.

People complaining that the club should honour an agreement are forgetting that he also had an implied agreement with the club and the fans to stay loyal.

I think in the long run we're as well off with out him in terms of negative publicity and disruption he brings despite being a huge loss on the field.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If the club is serious about trying to get top 4, and think they are in a position to do so this year, they will not sell to Arsenal at any cost. Keeping him but not playing him if necessary, and then losing him for 10m less even in January or next summer is preferable to directly strengthening the team you are trying to catch. If we sold him for 40m there is no way that 40m would be spent effectively on players who would strengthen us sufficiently, especially since the club are adamant there is still money to spend even if he stays, plus any money they get for the likes of Downing. Borini, Skrtel (20m at least for the 3) if they want to get rid of them.

We'll see how much resolve is in the club to not sell to a team they class as a direct rival in the coming days/weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

murpho999 wrote: »
    implied agreement

Never worth anything in football.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did you know that it was a year to the day that he signed a new contract at LFC and declared what a privilege it is to play for LFC and he's a big fan.

All shown to be hollow now.

People complaining that the club should honour an agreement are forgetting that he also had an implied agreement with the club and the fans to stay loyal.

I think in the long run we're as well off with out him in terms of negative publicity and disruption he brings despite being a huge loss on the field.

I'm not forgetting that. But our standards need to be higher than Luis Suarez and his ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I love the irony of him speaking to the English media to tell his story. A story that began with him wanting to leave because of the English media.

How could be trust them to not print a story headlined "Foreign racist hates England..." ??

Football and society (and the world) has long ceased to work in the old fashioned ways. I'm pretty sure when the London Stock Exchange adopted "Dictum Meum Pactum" as their motto in the 1800s, they wouldn't have envisaged greedy, narcissistic chaps like Nick Leeson, Bernie Madoff, and half the banks in europe being rotten to the core in the 2000s.

Handshakes and verbal agreements are well and good, and still have legal weight. But on a moral level, the whole "word is my bond" thing is dying a slow death.

I agree with the spirit of your post though. If Rodgers wants to stand for something as a man, in this life, then you set your own standards. If he shook his hand and said you can go at the end of the year, then he should be let go. And he will be.....

On the other hand, Rodgers shook his hand as manager of Liverpool FC and has his own bosses to deal with too. So if it does transpire he is in the wrong here, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

If it comes down to he-said/she-said type nonsense you'd need to be nuts to side with the Uruguyan.

Just a flashback to 21/4/2013 after the full time whistle

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056873647&page=301

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Just a flashback to 21/4/2013 after the full time whistle

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056873647&page=301

Random flashback is random Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not that surprised.

9HhD74c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'm not forgetting that. But our standards need to be higher than Luis Suarez and his ilk.

Absolutely.

But if that 'promise' means selling to Arsenal because they are the only ones that bid, then f*ck that no way. We should not be strengthening a direct rival and if a promise was made that would not have been part of it or in the spirit of the deal so to speak.

Theres no way thats what Liverpool meant if a promise was made. If Madrid come calling by all means on your way.

IF Madrid are going to come in for him then they are going to be the winners here by getting him at a good price.

Whenever i've babysat my little nephew, i tell him if he's good and no trouble i'll get him McDonalds. It keeps him quiet for the day. I don't always get around to the McDonalds either.

Point being, if Rodgers did verbally say "yes, you can go at the end of the year" he was pacifying a big child. Who, incidentally, wasn't a good boy biting people.

So, stuff him.

This might not be palatable to many but this IS a world cup year and it doesn't matter what he says now, if the choice is play for LFC or sit in the reserves all year,then he'll play.

The correct strategy here should be at least holding out until the last few days of the transfer window. I can't see Arsenal landing a superstar this month and their fans will get the hump big time, so that £40m could well turn into £50m if played correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gafferino wrote: »
    Absolutely.

But if that 'promise' means selling to Arsenal because they are the only ones that bid, then f*ck that no way. We should not be strengthening a direct rival and if a promise was made that would not have been part of it or in the spirit of the deal so to speak.

Theres no way thats what Liverpool meant if a promise was made. If Madrid come calling by all means on your way.

IF Madrid are going to come in for him then they are going to be the winners here by getting him at a good price.

I said it a couple if pages back but how can you see Liverpool without Suarez as a direct rival to Arsenal?

It would be akin to me seeing Arsenal as a direct rival to Man U/Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Whenever i've babysat my little nephew, i tell him if he's good and no trouble i'll get him McDonalds. It keeps him quiet for the day. I don't always get around to the McDonalds either.

Point being, if Rodgers did verbally say "yes, you can go at the end of the year" he was pacifying a big child. Who, incidentally, wasn't a good boy biting people.

So, stuff him.

This might not be palatable to many but this IS a world cup year and it doesn't matter what he says now, if the choice is play for LFC or sit in the reserves all year,then he'll play.

The correct strategy here should be at least holding out until the last few days of the transfer window. I can't see Arsenal landing a superstar this month and their fans will get the hump big time, so that £40m could well turn into £50m if played correctly.

What a bad uncle you are!

• Advertisement

Random flashback is random Mike

Worth reading for the reactions and seeing who has changed their views or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So we shouldn't have him at the club then.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gosplan wrote: »
    I said it a couple if pages back but how can you see Liverpool without Suarez as a direct rival to Arsenal?

It would be akin to me seeing Arsenal as a direct rival to Man U/Chelsea.

Whatever about Man U, Arsenal finished on a similar points total to Chelsea last season, and above them the season before. Chelsea are expected to finish above them this season for sure, and have a better squad on paper, but to say they aren't a rival based on the last few years is silly.

i don't really believe there was a handshake tbh; certainly not in the fashion some are putting forward.

and i don't believe the agreement was even one where Suarez and his agent actually believe the clause is what they're claiming the clause is.

i reckon they're just using whatever it is to get what they want. simple as that.

if the clause existed, he'd be gone already. people shouldn't forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Worth reading for the reactions and seeing who has changed their views or not!

Have to bookmark this for the next time you scold posters for getting involved in petty arguments. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement