Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

T-K-O wrote: »
    Maybe Souness would sign a 2 game deal, show Agger how to welcome back the old boys.

To turn this

into this? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

picard_wtf_riker_i_know.jpg
    klose wrote: »
    Thats like saying we are gonna play with ten players, reminds me of when people used to say oh wed be x far down in the league without his goals, of course we would because that insinuates wed literally be playing with ten men for every game. The club has sold great players and lived on and went on to achieve great things in the years after just like this situation. Dont want to see him in a liverpool shirt ever again, not senior or reserves.

I was talking about the coming season.
    Have you ever seen the Premier League table at the start of the new season?

Lots of zeros. Wins, draws, losses, goals for/against all zeros.

If Suarez plays the season and scores 30 goals for LFC, then whatever else happens that's +30 in the bank.

If he plays the season for Arsenal and scores 30, that's +30 in their bank.

Liverpool don't start off -30 on goal difference because he's fecked off elsewhere.

Last season is gone. They need others to score, of course, but there is no magical 60 goal swing here.

Your logic is something like this:

I had 30 apples last year. I ate them all. I was gonna eat 30 apples next year but the fruit n veg man is delivering them elsewhere. I now need 60 apples for some reason to maintain parity with the Jones up the road.

This is what I was saying yeh. Nothing to do with last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Paulegend wrote: »
    doesnt matter that he only scored 23 im just using it as an example. he scored 30 in all comps and tahts what needs to be replicated. arsenal replaced rvps goals. thats what i am saying. liverpool will have to replace suarez's goals whether thats with current players or new players

im not saying we start 30 goals less off but im saying that as every game goes on we are not getting the 30 that suarez would score. we will get 40 other goals yes but those 40 other goals also came last season and we cant just rely on those 40 goals.

all im saying is that if borini played instead of suarez and didnt score at all this season where would the 30 goals suarez scored come from???

therefore we would be 60 goals less off than the team who gets suarez
    Christ.

I'll try speak slowly.

2012/2013 Premier League Goals:

Arsenal - 72
    Liverpool - 71

Suarez - 23

you're saying:

72+23 = 95
    71 -23 = 48

For a start, last season is GONE. Finito. Over.

Even if you could view it like that, then fine:

Arsenal can't field 12 players. So whoever made way for Suarez their goals come off the list. Or with squad rotation several of their players goals come off the list. Equally, Liverpool can't field 10 players. So goals get added to the list.

By your logic, If Arsenal bought Pepe Reina then there would be a 28 goal swing, as Pepe kept 14 clean sheets which he woulda done for Arsenal and whichever plum LFC put in goal wouldn't have done so. Except you'd be wrong again, not least because Szcesny kept 10 clean sheets, and ummm you can't actually pluck figures and make illogical comparisons, like you're doing, in a team sport.

New season.

Fresh start for all clubs.

If Suarez scores 30 for Arsenal they will have 30 goals from him. Whether they score more overall than last season, who knows. LFC won't have any goals from Suarez. If you want to make any stupid direct conclusion then at least "need to find 30 goals somewhere" makes a modicum of sense.

Please forget the 60!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

@kess:

Just bouncing ideas around next season, thats all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And yet if any of those players were in the squad today they start against Stoke. Funny that eh?

Are you actually advocating signing a bunch of outrageously expensive OAPs?

**** em, the club should never be fishing about for such "quick fix" players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Hulk - We should bid out there bidding €50-60M for him is my favourite comment of the year truth be told. Apparently he had a great game against Liverpool which is absolute, comical disillusion. He was god awful bar his goal. I remember saying as much in the away match thread. Always been immensely over hyped, always! I was disappointed Chelsea didn't waste money on him last summer.

boll*x, he was best player on the pitch by a country mile in the first leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And yet if any of those players were in the squad today they start against Stoke. Funny that eh?

you'd be spending mental amount of money to marginally improve the team, with no real room for improvement down the line, bar maybe Hulk, who is horrendously overrated it's embarrassing.

those signings would not get us to where we need to be, i'd be confident of that.

and it would not show ambition. it would show irresponsibility and, really, stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

New season: 10 days
    End of transfer window: 25 days

To do list:

Pre-Suarez leaving
    2 proven quality players to go into starting 11
    Back up goalkeeper

Post-Suarez leaving

Back up goalkeeper
    1 player to replace our only world class player

Not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It turns out that Suarez will lose a £2.5 million "loyalty bonus" when he puts in a transfer request.

Explains a lot.

Yeah. RVP did much the same to us. Put in his personal site his message to the fans about how he wanted to be truthful and honest and blah blah blah. Not a transfer request but made it impossible for him to stay.

The really disgusting thing about both situations is that while they keep their laughable 'loyalty bonus', they also hugely compromise the position of their club and ensure they receive less money for the transfer.

So not only will Suarez cost Liverpool his loyalty bonus but he'll also cost the them 5-10 million in transfer fees he just screwed them out of by weakening their position so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm finding this thread difficult to follow since my calculator batteries ran out. How many fewer goals will we score each year when Suarez leaves?

rossie1977 wrote: »

Jimi Traore played a few good games himself. Legend has it, he scored a cracker just a few months ago.

But

He's average and Im being kind.

Hulk is an average forward, sure he looked the part in Portugal but he has disappointed every time I've watched him.

In the confeds cup he was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Michu was in the squad he would certainly start against Stoke. Same with Benteke. Doesn't mean we should blow 25-30 million signing either of them.

Eto'o, Kaka and Snjeider are all way past their best, but still command massive wages. You'd be signing them in the vain hope that they'd rekindle their old form. In Kaka's case it's very old form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Christ.

I'll try speak slowly.

2012/2013 Premier League Goals:

Arsenal - 72
    Liverpool - 71

Suarez - 23

you're saying:

72+23 = 95
    71 -23 = 48

For a start, last season is GONE. Finito. Over.

Even if you could view it like that, then fine:

Arsenal can't field 12 players. So whoever made way for Suarez their goals come off the list. Or with squad rotation several of their players goals come off the list. Equally, Liverpool can't field 10 players. So goals get added to the list.

By your logic, If Arsenal bought Pepe Reina then there would be a 28 goal swing, as Pepe kept 14 clean sheets which he woulda done for Arsenal and whichever plum LFC put in goal wouldn't have done so. Except you'd be wrong again, not least because Szcesny kept 10 clean sheets, and ummm you can't actually pluck figures and make illogical comparisons, like you're doing, in a team sport.

New season.

Fresh start for all clubs.

If Suarez scores 30 for Arsenal they will have 30 goals from him. Whether they score more overall than last season, who knows. LFC won't have any goals from Suarez. If you want to make any stupid direct conclusion then at least "need to find 30 goals somewhere" makes a modicum of sense.

Please forget the 60!!

If Suarez scored 30, he'd contribute about 15 more than Giroud or Podolski who he'd be on the pitch instead of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

greendom wrote: »

The 4th Guardian blog in the last 18 hours on this topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

it doesnt matter that we would have a differnent player. a new player could score 80 goals it means feck all. how are you not getting it

suarez plays for liverpool he scores 30 goals
    suarez doesnt play for liverpool then liverpool need to find those 30 goals somewhere else............................... it doesnt matter if it gerrard sturridge or someone new. fact is if suarez leaves we need to replace those goals and unless we did we would be 60 goals worse off than arsenal

My head hurts.

Please. Just. Stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

we can go on all day trying to talk about this 60 goal crap if yed like???

or we can move on from it??

what im saying has merit and im sure one or two of you have already realized that but due to popular opinion here you dont wanna back it up and thats fine

to put it to bed we will have to replace his goals and hope that arsenal dont score more goals than last season

5live wrote: »
    My head hurts.

Please. Just. Stop.

yea lets not leave factual information cloud our heads:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Kess73 wrote: »
    To turn this

into this? :p

Those two videos together reminded me of that time Souness accused Torres of raping Vidic. That was awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is gonna hurt more than when Torres left,

At least we have time this time to find someone.

we can go on all day trying to talk about this 60 goal crap if yed like

I don't doubt it. Let's not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    The 4th Guardian blog in the last 18 hours on this topic!

Anyone demanding loyalty, should realise it barely exists in football anymore

"I am loyal and find it disloyal when I am asked about other clubs when I am the Watford manager." Within two weeks, he was Reading manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

yea lets not leave factual information cloud our heads:rolleyes:

You.arent.making.any.sense.

I am pie wrote: »
    You.arent.making.any.sense.

why do you need google translate???:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wonder would Chelsea accept 40/50m for Kevin De Bruyne and Lukaku.

Probably not, but would make me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    New season: 10 days
    End of transfer window: 25 days

To do list:

Pre-Suarez leaving
    Back up goalkeeper

Post-Suarez leaving

Back up goalkeeper
    1 player to replace our only world class player

Not looking good.

This is it in a nutshell.

Now i've no problem with the club holding off on the spending if their top targets are not available etc.... no point spending for the sake of it

But I would question if we were ever in for 2 first XI players (if Suarez had stayed).

Despite statements to the contrary, the club more than likely always had the Suarez cash as the front of their minds in order to strengthen. If he stays, then we will limp onto next season with a few "squad signings"

why do you need google translate???:o

Does it translate the ranting and raving of a lunatic into something resembling logical thought?

I don't think they have made that leap yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People saying sell him and buy X/Y/Z unattainable player is a bit irritating. Most of the players mentioned would have no interest in signing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Wow.

This thread just keeps giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This just popped up for me
    Guardian confirm that Suarez approached them for the interview. They say "It was Suárez's idea."

• Advertisement

Tony Barrett hit the nail on the head for me, this is killing us two ways. Suarez will leave, we'll have a lump of cash which we won't be able to spend as the required standard of replacements won't come here.

This will be Rogers fault for some, and others will sympathise will crossing there fingers that the pressure doesn't get to the transfer committee causing another Carroll travesty.

Does it translate the ranting and raving of a lunatic into something resembling logical thought?

I don't think they have made that leap yet.

but i dont understand what your not getting??

the fact we need to replace suarez??? i thought that was obvious

the fact that suarez scoring goals for a direct rival instaed of us??? another factual statement

but perhaps its the maths that has killed off so many in here??? well i could go into it if youd like but its rather boring....................... but if you insist.....??

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ah, that makes it okay to bid €50-60M on Hulk then. Cool beans.

Without Suarez featuring whether he stays or not, Hulk or Eto'o MIGHT get a game alright against Stoke.
    rossie1977 wrote: »

Lol, no. Just no. Danny was outstanding until he was subbed early in the second because he didn't have the match fitness up to par after his injury as far as I recall, Witsel overall was the star performer in Russia. Hulk's goal covered his inept performance against us.

But it's nice to see you being positive about something instead of being ultra negative for once :)

but i dont understand what your not getting??

the fact we need to replace suarez??? i thought that was obvious

the fact that suarez scoring goals for a direct rival instaed of us??? another factual statement

but perhaps its the maths that has killed off so many in here??? well i could go into it if youd like but its rather boring....................... but if you insist.....??

OK, put it another way. When van Persie went to utd they actually scored less goals in the league despite him being the leagues top scorer, and no one can say he wasn't integral to them.

It's not as simple as 'we lose the goals they gain them'. Obviously he needs to be replaced as a front line player, and with the best quality player possible for us to get, but no one is denying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

So if he does go, how does it pan out?
    Do Liverpool try to squeeze Arsenal for more cash or do they just accept the 40M bid? Do they try to solicit interest from elsewhere?
    Will they delay it until a replacement is found?
    Arsenal have until Monday to register a squad for the champs league qualifier, Im sure Liverpool are acutely aware of this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Sneijder - 29 now, possibly 28 when his name was being linked last December/January. Only one manager has got the best out of him.

Hulk - We should bid out there bidding €50-60M for him is my favourite comment of the year truth be told. Apparently he had a great game against Liverpool which is absolute, comical disillusion. He was god awful bar his goal. I remember saying as much in the away match thread. Always been immensely over hyped, always! I was disappointed Chelsea didn't waste money on him last summer.

Kaka - 29 and a shadow of his former self and I hate saying that as he's one of my favourite players in the last decade and a bit. Truly saddens me to see how his career has panned out since/

Eto'o - 32 and over the hill, over the hill with insane wages that is. Like Kaka, I hate seeing what's happened to him, but unlike Kaka, as someone said earlier the day Eto'o signed that contract, his career was effectively over. If anyone has watched Anzhi, be it against Liverpool or in the Russian league, he looks out of his step.

And the majority here need a reality check? Signing these players is a sign of ambition for some :o

Stephen Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

gosplan wrote: »
    If Suarez scored 30, he'd contribute about 15 more than Giroud or Podolski who he'd be on the pitch instead of.

Or gel with both/either and everyone scores more.

Direct comparisons based on previous seasons are silly.

That fella was trying to go with ABC maths where -30 and +30 co-exist for a 60-goal swing.

In the real world, Suarez at Arsenal is the type of player who will give defenders a nightmare, free space for other players and generally improve a side. Would not be surprised at all if Podolski and Giroud blossom when they get the chance to link up with him.

Giroud in particular. His class is there for all to see, he'd had enough time to find his feet now so no excuses this year. Fully expect him to deliver a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Tony Barrett hit the nail on the head for me, this is killing us two ways. Suarez will leave, we'll have a lump of cash which we won't be able to spend as the required standard of replacements won't come here.

This will be Rogers fault for some, and others will sympathise will crossing there fingers that the pressure doesn't get to the transfer committee causing another Carroll travesty.

if we buy the 2 players, at least, that we need for the first XI, then if and when Suarez goes, i'll forgive them somewhat for not being able to spend that cash on a world class replacement.

but there will be no excuse for not buying at least 2 players.

Arsenal have until Monday to register a squad for the champs league qualifier, Im sure Liverpool are acutely aware of this fact.

This is something I asked about recently and couldn't find out the info on, thanks! If not registered by then in that case, he wouldn't be eligible to play for them until 5/6 October in the league (a week later than us as we have a LC game that Arsenal don't), but could play any CL games of course before then if they got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Im amazed you guys get any goals at all when you dont have the goals that Owen Fowler and Rush score anymore

• Advertisement

If we accept that we have Suarez cash inbound we should really buy before he goes. We know we will convert his value into cash, so we should spend and hold him until deadline day. If we don't get what we need we go again in January.

We hold on until anyone but Arsenal (or Spurs!) comes knocking. We just need some good poker skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So if he does go, how does it pan out?
    Do Liverpool try to squeeze Arsenal for more cash or do they just accept the 40M bid? Do they try to solicit interest from elsewhere?
    Will they delay it until a replacement is found?

Is that for the group stages?

Edit: Just noticed qualifier.

Such comments are as silly as the 'sell Luis and buy {inset world star}

What happened when Torres left? We found Suarez. No doubt talent is difficult to find but thats a job for the scouts.

Yes, LFC have declined but remember who we are, you would think this is an Aston Villa thread the way some people go on.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland?

He'll find his way down to his level soon enough. Championship, possibly newly promoted yo-yo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

PFA helping Suarez in his bid to leave Liverpool

Gordon Taylor has confirmed that the Professional Footballers' Association are helping Luis Suarez with his bid to leave Liverpool but admitted the striker could be left in limbo due to the ambiguous clause in his contract.

Suarez claims Liverpool are refusing to honour an agreement that allows him to join a Champions League side for a fee of over £40million, after they rejected an offer in excess of that amount from Arsenal.

Liverpool insist that, under the terms of the deal, they are under no obligation to sell and only have to inform the Uruguayan that a bid has been made for his services.

The Reds' owner, John Henry has said they will not sell unless their valuation is met, and Brendan Rodgers insists Suarez remains a Liverpool player.

Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Taylor desribed it is a 'delicate situation', he said: "These buy-out clauses have caused no end of problems in the past and they continue to do so because of the way they were drafted at the time.

"He believes the £40m amount that is mentioned, if that is offered that gives him the right to go.

"Liverpool, from their side, are saying that is a minimum figure from which they will consider negotiation and of course they will want to keep the player, unless they replace the player with someone as good or better, which is not going to be easy in a short period of time.

"There are different ways it can be interpreted. If it goes to the Premier League it will take time and the window is then closed. It is a delicate situation and we are trying to help.

"We have been asked to try and help to sort the situation out and we have been trying to do that.”

http://www.juicefm.com/news/sport/pfa-helping-suarez-in-his-bid-to-leave-liverpool/

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

[QUOTE=Kess73;85876626]There are two Zenit players I would love to see at Liverpool and Hulk is not one of them. Still think he could do very well at the right club, but for the money he would cost he would be too big a gamble for Liverpool in the very unlikely event he had any interest at all in joining.[/QUOTE]

Witsel and...?

I used to be a big fan of Danny, it's a damn shame he played out the majority of his career in Russia.

Likewise Anyukov and Shirokov, the former I remember being very impressed with him during Zenit's UEFA Cup win and following that, his performances Euro 2008. Was based on that I wanted Liverpool to sign him back then. I got Kerzakhov horribly wrong though. Thought himself, Fabiano, Kanoute and Chevathon were the best collection of strikers at any club at the time :o I miss that Sevilla team :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5live wrote: »
    Wow.

This thread just keeps giving.

They wouldn't start for us? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    if we buy the 2 players, at least, that we need for the first XI, then if and when Suarez goes, i'll forgive them somewhat for not being able to spend that cash on a world class replacement.

but there will be no excuse for not buying at least 2 players.

You realise how little time is left in this window realistically?

The world & it's mother has known where this has been headed for months at this stage. We should have been working our asses off to recruit a replacement/replacements prior to allowing Suarez to leave, like we did with Torres/Suarez by all accounts.

If we couldn't get a genuine world class replacement, then we should then have used the money & our available monies to strengthen across the board with 3/4 players in the £20m plus bracket.

They wouldn't start for us? :confused:
    Ah, that makes it okay to bid €50-60M on Hulk then. Cool beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

5starpool wrote: »
    This is something I asked about recently and couldn't find out the info on, thanks! If not registered by then in that case, he wouldn't be eligible to play for them until 5/6 October in the league (a week later than us as we have a LC game that Arsenal don't), but could play any CL games of course before then if they got in.

As an Arsenal fan im behind enemy lines here! He would miss the qualifier but could then be registered for the group stage. His first league game for Arsenal would be the 28th September. Arsenal play a League cup game the midweek before that game and that would be the 6th game of the ban

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement